POLL: What is your spending as an expat?

ronthai

How much do you LIVE on in Thailand as a SINGLE person?  

523 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why does this only go up to 100k? I know very few people spending under 150k and most are in the 200k + range

That's BS if i ever heard it.

True.

Expats -- and I mean REAL expats -- actually spend very little.

Accommodation is provided gratis; school fees are part of the package; entertainment bills are added to the expense account.

• Like 1

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does this only go up to 100k? I know very few people spending under 150k and most are in the 200k + range

True.

Accommodation is provided gratis; school fees are part of the package; entertainment bills are added to the expense account.

And a 'real' expat would be the 5% of the expat population that have the 500k a month package with all the ++. The other 95% are spending money. Of the 200 odd people I know here, not one has their schooling paid for them.

7sWKnmx.jpg

Here's my vision of a basic 'cost of living' budget that, IMO, should be more than acceptable for most single folks in Thailand. It should be comfortable, if not extravagant. It doesn't take into account any discretionary spending (beer, companionship, etc.)...but you won't die living on this budget. (The amount shown for health insurance is undoubtedly not the cheapest option available, ymmv)

Edit: "Gas & Water" should be "Electric & Water"

Plus rent

makes say 32000 should be able to live a reasonable life as long as you do not go out of the door.

True.

And a 'real' expat would be the 5% of the expat population that have the 500k a month package with all the ++. The other 95% are spending money. Of the 200 odd people I know here, not one has their schooling paid for them.

How about rent?

I know very few people who pay rent. I personally pay zero.

Even expats who're not part of your "5%" often have their rent paid. Business owners I'm acquainted with mark it down as a company expense; top-level employees seem to get allowances ranging from 40K -80K.

I understand that English teachers employed by international schools (Harrow, for example) also get housing allowances.

I genuinely wonder what sort of expat (not including retirees or unqualified teachers) has to pay rent.

Edited by casualposter

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No one has mentioned bar fines so far, or is that factored in on entertainment ?

alt=biggrin.png> Seems like OP's heading has been forgotten...
»What is you monthly spending, for SINGLE Farangs, ONLY for housing, food, drink and fun. Extra's (Visa, Hospital, Car, etc) excluded)«
A budget are more likely like this (mine single-spendings was about that, but I'm not heavy drinker, so mainly ladies drinking):
»80.000 baht, (I am a bad boy, everyday in the bar and a different companion)«
24,000 Rent (bungalow 800b/d incl. cleaning etc.)
15,000 Food (my daily meals)
45,000 to 60,000 for not sleaping alone (1,500 - 2,000 b/n)
30,000 Drinks in bars, clubs, disco (average 1,000 b/d)
5,000 Barfine, aprox. (some girls freelancing)
10,000 to 15,000 Other (laundry, personal stuff, some transport, tickets, dinner invitations etc. etc.)
Could easily go higher, but not much lower... alt=tongue.png>
Total around 125,000 to 135,000 b/m.
Ups – I ended up in the 100,000+ level, but I did not have too much money, and I did not live in a small palace, with servants... alt=whistling.gif>

What's your monthly spend on Azythromycin and Acyclovir?

• Like 1

True.

How about rent?

Even expats who're not part of your "5%" often have their rent paid. Business owners I'm acquainted with mark it down as a company expense; top-level employees seem to get allowances ranging from 40K -80K.

I understand that English teachers employed by international schools (Harrow, for example) also get housing allowances.

I genuinely wonder what sort of expat (not including retirees or unqualified teachers) has to pay rent.

This is 2014. Food, car, entertainment, insurance, travel, utilities, clothing, vehicles, maids, nannies, drivers.....

Edited by kurnell

True.

How about rent?

This is 2014. Food, car, entertainment, insurance, travel, utilities, clothing, vehicles, maids, nannies, drivers.....

Ok. How much? Bunch of self promoting people.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

True.

Expat packages don't really exist in finance anymore unless you are very senior. It's usually all in. Maybe O&G or shipping.

OB

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

True.

How about rent?

Ok. How much? Bunch of self promoting people.

How much what, vague person?

How about rent?

You talk about cars and drivers. No one pays for a chauffeur. It's either a business expense or a perk taken care of by the company.

Maids and nannies are company expenses (eg, perks / benefits).

Not sure what you mean by "vehicles".

Utilities should by part of the package.

Food. This a a tricky one. I guess much of it depends on whether or not you can do without wine, imported hams and other "luxuries". I buy fresh fish and chicken, and love cooking. Note everyone's the same. Some of the food bills on this thread strike me as very high, though.

Clothing is pretty much irrelevant since it's the same here as back home.

I've never considered entertainment to be a major expense, but this is obviously a question of personal preferences.

How about rent?

You talk about cars and drivers. No one pays for a chauffeur. It's either a business expense or a perk taken care of by the company.

Maids and nannies are company expenses (eg, perks / benefits).

Not sure what you mean by "vehicles".

Utilities should by part of the package.

Food. This a a tricky one. I guess much of it depends on whether or not you can do without wine, imported hams and other "luxuries". I buy fresh fish and chicken, and love cooking. Note everyone's the same. Some of the food bills on this thread strike me as very high, though.

Clothing is pretty much irrelevant since it's the same here as back home.

I've never considered entertainment to be a major expense, but this is obviously a question of personal preferences.

You obviously know different people to me. I know very few all in packages, and am doubtful that they ever existed.

True.

Expat packages don't really exist in finance anymore unless you are very senior. It's usually all in. Maybe O&G or shipping.

OB

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

To clarify "all in" I mean just salary.

OB

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

How on earth do you people come up with your insanely low figures? When I was living in Thailand I didn't live an entirely opulent life but I certainly spent more than 100,000 baht/month.

Basic 100sqm condo -> 27,000

Utilities (internet, electricity, phone, etc) -> 3,000

Car Maintenance (I was doing 5,000km/m) -> 35,000

Maid -> 5,000

Food (I have a healthy diet with the occasional dinner at a fine restaurant and the odd Sunday brunch) - 60,000

Nightclubs/Pubs/etc -> 10,000

Stuff my gf wanted to buy (incl. cleaning supplies, etc) -> 10,000

That's 150,000 baht/month already and doesn't include incidentals, flights, visas, holidays, health checkups, etc.

AND what does that say about you?

First off ...Rent 27,000/month...must be in Bangkok....Thailand's a big country and on the Eastern Seaboard an older 3 bedroom 2 baht Beach house 100 meters from the beach goes for 13,000'month

SAVINGS ....14,000 Baht

Secondly....Car Maintenance 35,000/month....again inflated ...if you paid cash should be no more than 4000 baht/month....savings 31,000 Baht a month....OR if you lease a fairly new car they are available for 10,000/baht month (includes insurance) and gas 4,000.....

SAVINGS....21,000 Baht

Thirdly....Maid.. Try cleaning the house and dishes yourself....good exercise! Or is your girlfriend incapable of doing the simplest things.

SAVINGS....5000 Baht

Fourthly....Food ...not everyone has the appetite of an Elephant....OR eats out daily at expensive western restaurants....Shop at the market and cook yourself ...healthier! 10,000 Baht

SAVINGS.....50,000 Baht

TOTAL SAVINGS 90,000 Baht..

You state "When you were living in Thailand" ....obviously short time so understandable that you would care less about costs and enjoy yourself......Hey...great...You wanted to know how people come up with these figures....try reading ALL the post including the reference to the Blog in one.......It can be done....AND its easy....

Sounds like you've got and want to spend it ......not everyone in the same boat....Quality of life is different for all so why take not take the high road and congratulated those who can do it on the budget they have. Just because you spend more DOES NOT mean you have a better quality life ....or any life at all.

Just saying ....biggrin.png

Everyone doesn't live or die by their spending habits, nor does everyone want the same lifestyle. If you're happy living on your budget then so be it, but don't critique other folk's budgets as over the top when you haven't a clue about their life other than their budget.

• Like 2

If you cant throw 500k a month away out here you a looser!

I must be in the wrong job, or a looser.

True.

I got a rent allowance if I go over it it's mine to pay plus I have to pay school fees.. I am getting shafted. Might have to pay'em with the work cc.

Should have had category "<20k/month" imho

I had no problem living on less than $3k a month in USA, and was buying a house

Re: what is an expat? Quick look up got this:

"An expatriate (sometimes shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of the person's upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex ("out of") and patria ("country, fatherland"). Nothing to do with job or age.

Me too.

I was single when i was in the USA and never made more than $30,000 a year. most of the time a lot less and i still managed to buy property for investments, go snow skiing, water skiing, fishing hunting and travel.

Admittedly that was before the $3 a gallon gasoline prices but I know plenty of people still living in the USA on less than $3,000 a month with a family and house payments. $3,000 a month is more than 3 x's the poverty level for a single person.

U.S. Census Bureau Poverty Thresholds, 2012 Size of Family Unit Poverty Threshold One person (unrelated individual) $11,720 Under age 65 11,945 Age 65 or older 11,011 Two people 14,937 Householder under age 65 15,450 Householder age 65 or older 13,892 Three people 18,284 Four people 23,492 Five people 27,827 Six people 31,471 Seven people 35,743 Eight people 39,688 Nine people or more 47,297 Edited by wolfmanjack

Your probably one of those who needs an Embassy letter to renew your Visa.

You remind me of a Chinese Combination Platter .. Minus the Egg Roll

Furthermore: Since when do you judge someone based on how much they have in their pocket.

You're the reason why Thai's think that all Falangs are walking ATM machines.

Edited by Jeffrey346
  • Like 1

Furthermore: Since when do you judge someone based on how much they have in their pocket.

Toungue in cheek statement. Thought that was obvious but you took it to heart.

Bringing to mind a Monty Python sketch where they were all trying to outdo each other on how poor they were as kids. Everyone here is trying to outdo each other on how much they can spend a month. Most is probably a wind up but am sure some are serious. Been there, done that.

• Like 1

relax and detect the sarcasm in his posting tongue.png

• Like 1

Toungue in cheek statement. Thought that was obvious but you took it to heart.

Bringing to mind a Monty Python sketch where they were all trying to outdo each other on how poor they were as kids. Everyone here is trying to outdo each other on how much they can spend a month. Most is probably a wind up but am sure some are serious. Been there, done that.

Or the Life of Brian sketch in the Jail...

BEN: You lucky, lucky bastard.

BRIAN: What?

BEN: Proper little jailer's pet, aren't we?

BRIAN: What do you mean?

BEN: You must have slipped him a few shekels, eh?

BRIAN: Slipped him a few shekels? You saw him spit in my face!

BEN: Ohh! What wouldn't I give to be spat at in the face! I sometimes hang awake at night dreaming of being spat at in the face.

BRIAN: Well, it's not exactly friendly, is it? They had me in manacles!

BEN: Manacles! Ooh oooh oh oh. My idea of heaven is to be allowed to be put in manacles... just for a few hours. They must think the sun shines out o' your arse, sonny.

BRIAN: Oh, lay off me. I've had a hard time!

BEN: You've had a hard time?! I've been here five years! They only hung me the right way up yesterday! So, don't you come 'rou--

BRIAN: All right. All right.

BEN: They must think you're Lord God Almighty.

BRIAN: What will they do to me?

BEN: Oh, you'll probably get away with crucifixion.

BRIAN: Crucifixion?!

BEN: Yeah, first offence.

BRIAN: Get away with crucifixion?! It's--

BEN: Best thing the Romans ever did for us.

BRIAN: What?!

BEN: Oh, yeah. If we didn't have crucifixion, this country would be in a right bloody mess.

BRIAN: Guards!

BEN: Nail him up, I say!

• Like 2

8,500 Rent - nice 40 sq. m condo

1,500 Water and electricity (average)

12,000 Food (avg 400 per day - includes take away, goceries, toiletries and cleaning supplies)

3,000 Motorbike rental (I bought one so I don't pay this now)

500 Motorbike maintenance and gas (I enjoy just driving around the back roads looking at the scenery)

8,000 Entertainment (I go out once a week or so)

750 Internet (avg over 6 months - all my tv, movie, doc, cartoon, etc needs are met by the net so I don't have cable)

250 Accident insurance

350 Health insurance

500 Clothing allowance

500 Visa (Retirement - check in every 3 months - reapply annually)

150 Cell phone

---------------------------------------

36,000 Monthly Budget (actually 33,000 without the motorcycle rental or about 1,100 baht per day).

I watch my spending and if I am spending too much I cut my entertainment budget by riding my bike and watching TV instead of going to a bar or dancing. I also cut back on the price of restaurants. I live near Nong Hoi market and can easily eat well for 100Baht (2 meals) or have noodle soup for 30 baht as a meal. So when I overspend I eat less expensively and stay home more, swimming in the pool, watching TV, surfing the net and going out on my bike, driving around aimlessly, to avoid 'cabin fever'!

FYI: My lease on my condo runs through mid-November. Then I'll move to a house - I'm looking around 5,000 B per month which will drop my costs to below 1,000 baht a day (even after I get a dog)!

If I forgot a category please let me know! (I don't buy sex and only drink socially - almost never at home alone).

• Like 1

i tend to agree assuming you mean 500,000 sterling, not those worthless dollars

55555. What is a dollar?

speaking of spending , any one tell me what 2 fillings and deep clean with a BKK dentist would cost, any recommendations would be a great help.

I don't know about Bangkok.... and I don't know about fillings. But a thorough professional cleaning and inspection in a dental clinic in Chiang Mai cost me 600 Baht.... with two dental hygienists working on me.

55555. What is a dollar?

I think in westernland it is toilet paper.

• Like 1

55555. What is a dollar?

I think in westernland it is toilet paper.

Green and all the same size.

Another big roller roflmao. I cannot help but chuckle at all the ex secret service agents, rock stars, goodfellas, movie stars and of course fortune 500 gazillionaires who choose to leave the comforts of London, New York, Beverly Hills or Nice to settle down in Thailand. Legends in their own minds I think.