Vcd’s On To A Dvd

djc45

How can I transfer my VCD’s on to a DVD so that I can still watch them on a stand alone DVD player?

Also I have some DVDs that I can still play on the DVD player but I am unable to copy the disk on my pc is there anything I can do?

How can I transfer my VCD’s on to a DVD so that I can still watch them on a stand alone DVD player?

Also I have some DVDs that I can still play on the DVD player but I am unable to copy the disk on my pc is there anything I can do?

Till now I have seen only one DVD player that can not used for VCD's.

What model Nr. and and brand name do you have?

Standalone DVD players usually already play VCDs, as already mentioned.

If yours does not for some reason, you can try to explore the folders of the vcd on your computer, find the largest .DAT file, copy it to your hard drive, when on the hard drive, replace the .DAT extension with .mpg. Then burn the file as a data file with Nero or another program onto DVD. You will be able to fit quite a few VCDs onto a DVD this way - but it requires your standalone player being able to play .mpg files. Check your documentation or Google the model no. to make sure.

If that does not work either, you will need to convert the format into something that is playable by your standalone. There is software that can do this for you - but be adviced that any re-encoding means you will lose some of the initial quality.

Buy yourself a new DVD player (approx 2000-3000 baht). Most newer DVD players will playback a VCD.

To copy a DVD to your PC, use DVDShrink, and then something like Nero to burn it back to another DVD. For personal uses (e.g. making archival backups), this procedure is legal; for others (like reselling) it is not. But in LOS... :o

I think my question has been misunderstood. My VCDs do play on a stand a loan dvd player but I would like to put a few on to 1 dvd but still be able to view them on a dvd player

Any help with the second part of my question please

Standalone DVD players usually already play VCDs, as already mentioned.

If yours does not for some reason, you can try to explore the folders of the vcd on your computer, find the largest .DAT file, copy it to your hard drive, when on the hard drive, replace the .DAT extension with .mpg. Then burn the file as a data file with Nero or another program onto DVD. You will be able to fit quite a few VCDs onto a DVD this way - but it requires your standalone player being able to play .mpg files. Check your documentation or Google the model no. to make sure.

If that does not work either, you will need to convert the format into something that is playable by your standalone. There is software that can do this for you - but be adviced that any re-encoding means you will lose some of the initial quality.

hi meadish, how do i replace the dat extention with mpeg please

You'll be happy to know that it is quite possible to put files from a VCD onto a DVD and have it play in a regular player without losing video quality (which is marginal on VCD anyway), I've done it in the (distant) past.

There are a couple of difficulties:-

1. Whilst the DVD format does permit mpeg-1 format files (as used by VCD) the audio sample rate is different, so you have to strip the audio off your mpeg-1 file, resample it, and put it back if you want sound.

2. An awful lot of DVD authoring software does not understand mpeg-1 files (DVD mainly uses mpeg-2) so you'll need to hunt for some that does.

So, although it's possible, I question whether it's actually worth it. Why do you want to do the transfer, space saving only?

You'll be happy to know that it is quite possible to put files from a VCD onto a DVD and have it play in a regular player without losing video quality (which is marginal on VCD anyway), I've done it in the (distant) past.

There are a couple of difficulties:-

1. Whilst the DVD format does permit mpeg-1 format files (as used by VCD) the audio sample rate is different, so you have to strip the audio off your mpeg-1 file, resample it, and put it back if you want sound.

2. An awful lot of DVD authoring software does not understand mpeg-1 files (DVD mainly uses mpeg-2) so you'll need to hunt for some that does.

So, although it's possible, I question whether it's actually worth it. Why do you want to do the transfer, space saving only?

yes just to save space and disks

thanks for your help

thanks for your help

You may want to consider one of the DVD players that can handle DivX, XviD or one of the other 'PC' video formats. You can get at lead 4 movies onto a DVD using these formats.

Personally, I bought a cheapo used PC and a VGA to TV converter, all my movies / TV shows are now either on the hard disk or on DVD's in XviD format. It even plays DVDs and streams audio form the net :o

Doubles up as a Skype machine with a USB handset, 'wife proof' skype :D

thanks for your help

You may want to consider one of the DVD players that can handle DivX, XviD or one of the other 'PC' video formats. You can get at lead 4 movies onto a DVD using these formats.

Personally, I bought a cheapo used PC and a VGA to TV converter, all my movies / TV shows are now either on the hard disk or on DVD's in XviD format. It even plays DVDs and streams audio form the net :o

Doubles up as a Skype machine with a USB handset, 'wife proof' skype :D

sounds a good idea

can you post more info please

i have just bought a stand a loan dvd recorder from makro its an skg but not sure if its what you have suggested

When you see this signets on your Player:

post-28552-1150877621.png

Yes!

When not, you can not play this format. Are still relatively expensive and new 4000-5000 Baht ore up.

...and you mean sure dvd player not dvd recorder...

thanks for the info

no its a DVD stand aloan recorder from makro 6,500bht and you use it like a vhs recorder and plays mp3s dvd and vcd ect but it does not have the divx logo

i cant down load the divx as i use a gprs modem and the band width is too small so i am looking to buy some software

Here is a nice step by step instruction on how to make a DVD from VCD files with TMPEGenc

http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/54/59/

Thanks for the info its spot on

I wish I could find more web pages with such good instructions on how to do things like this

If you have any more links for editing photos that are easy to follow please post them or pm them

Thanks again

:o

• 2 weeks later...