Is it viable to keep a stray cat when travelling?

Hi,

Popped this on local as we are in Koh Samui atm. So this tiny stray kitten has adopted us after we fed her and cared for her when she appeared one night with a wounded leg -from another cat attack I think.

She's become a bit of a house cat as we kept her in to protect her and her leg when we went to do our DM course. But now she sleeps all day in with us popps out for no longer than an hour or maybe 10 mins. If she sees us looking at her outside then we go inside she will follow us back inside.

She's just so gentle and loving and barely into catulthood now. I'd jus hate to leave and have her find no one else. She can't even growl properly at the nasty cat round here and just stays frozen in the smallest ball making this tiny growl sound - she's so lucky weir there to chase it off.

But weir heading to koh tao next for a month or two. Ultimately we really dearly hope to work in thailand legitimately for diving so have no worries keeping her if we were settled. But weir not we don't know accomodation or if we need to go somewhere else to where work could be etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

What a nice person ! If it were I , I would take the cat with me as you said that the cat stays inside , so no worries. Cats adopt people and your cat wants you, You are very lucky.

A very long time ago I found a very small kitten in Fiji and I took it on board my sail boat to make the long passage back to the states. The kitten was very happy to just have a place to live

Edited by jcgodber
  • Like 2

Damn sorry hit the wrong bloody button!!! Young and I'm still not down with all this modern tech!! Lol

Anyways do you think it's possible? And does anyone know prices for vaccinations and shots as sure she hasn't had any of these.

I mean if not expect a new post on adoption of the sweetest cat ever.. But my first choice is selfish :)

Oh also she's content staying in all day she just sleeps and then is more concerned with attention from us when we return than running to her freedom as u would expect.

But she's young maybe she'll change? Maybe she'd love new sites and sounds? I think she lost her mum too young she seems a bit like this from when she first showed up.

Anyways so sorry too much rambling - if anyone can advise would sooo appreciate it!

Hey jcgodber that's really kind of u to say. Just worried about traumatising the poor thing with moving her and well if it's a silly without a fixed abode . And of course will travelling with her across islands etc be okay?

Just buy a cat basket at any of the pet stores or vet's and take the her with you. She will be fine. I would try and keep her confined for a day or so until she gets used to her new surroundings .

A mother and FIVE newborn kittens were dumped at my place. We took them in, though kept them outside. When the kitties were about 3 mos old or so I took them to the vet, along with the mother, for shots and deworming pills. Then shortly thereafter I took the mother back to be fixed because five cats is enough! The price to have the mother fixed was about B2k. Sorry, I can't recall what it cost for the kitties' shots and such. But for one cat it can't be more than B1k, I would think. Next up, all the kitties have to be fixed. Fortunately all but one are male; males are cheaper to fix than females.

When he/she is old enough, have them fixed if you can afford it. Otherwise, you're in for a rough ride.

Koh Tao allows cat, so your accommodation should not mind cats.

But I think Tao is like Phi Phi where dogs aren't allowed on the island. At least when I was there yesterday, I did not see any dogs on Tao, but lots of very friendly cats.

post-17753-0-46204600-1402882909_thumb.j

Edited by Mole

No matter whether you would be able to keep the cat or not, before leaving the island and if you have to leave her behind to fend for herself alone, please take her to be spayed and Rabies vaccinated. Unwanted dogs and cats in Thailand have a hard life same as many other developing countries. Female cats and dogs will be raped by male cats/dogs. Female cats can get pregnant over and over again twice to three times a year that will shorten her life expectancy to three to five years if she is lucky. Any one in Thailand knows this problem of unwanted dogs/cats growing populations. I have been there and I have done that in rescuing street cats by trapping them and took them to be spayed and neutered and Rabies vaccinated.

After she is spayed, you would have peace of mind not having to chase those male cats. The cat is afraid of those male cats wanting to rape her and that why she had bite wound. I wish you would adopt her as your pet cat.

I searched for a vet clinic on Samui island on Thai websites and I found this vet clinic

คลีนิก รักษาสัตว์สมุย

น.สพ.สมศักดิ์ ศรีสุธรรม
30/1 ม. 6 ตรงข้ามไปรษณีย์เฉวง ต.บ่อผุด อ.เกาะสมุย จ.สุราษฎร์ธานี
077-230-600, 077-230-857

081-986-7404

Clinic Ruk-Sa-Sat Samui

Veterinarian Dr. SomSak SriSuTaam (Male)

Address: 30/1 Moo 6 (Opposite Post office Cha-weng)

Tambol Bor Put

Ampur Samui

Tel# (077) 230-600, (077) 230-857

Cell# (081) 986-7404

Hope this helps.

Edited by BrooklynNY
  • Like 2

A mother and FIVE newborn kittens were dumped at my place. We took them in, though kept them outside. When the kitties were about 3 mos old or so I took them to the vet, along with the mother, for shots and deworming pills. Then shortly thereafter I took the mother back to be fixed because five cats is enough! The price to have the mother fixed was about B2k. Sorry, I can't recall what it cost for the kitties' shots and such. But for one cat it can't be more than B1k, I would think. Next up, all the kitties have to be fixed. Fortunately all but one are male; males are cheaper to fix than females.

When he/she is old enough, have them fixed if you can afford it. Otherwise, you're in for a rough ride.

To fix a female cat at the City Animal Control Office cost 500THB including any necessary medication. We just did with a young cat we found lost on middle of a busy road. I think she know that we saved her life. She is adorable sweet and affectionate....even with our small dog. In a pet bag you can carry it anywhere, some are very fashionable.

To fix a female cat at the City Animal Control Office cost 500THB including any necessary medication. We just did with a young cat we found lost on middle of a busy road. I think she know that we saved her life. She is adorable sweet and affectionate....even with our small dog. In a pet bag you can carry it anywhere, some are very fashionable.

What City Animal Control Office ? Where?

Vaccinations are only 100-200 per shot. Cats are often content staying indoors providing they have food and water and a litter box. They mostly travel easily but make sure you keep them in a secure travel basket (you can buy plastic picnic baskets with lockable lid in Tesco). If frightened they will bolt and chances are you never see them again. One or two days locked in their new surroundings is safest so they know that is where you and food are. Some accommodation may not allow cats. But really there is nothing stopping you taking your kitty with you, even if you go overseas. Most countries allow the importation of domestic pets quite easily, and lots of people do take their pets with them when they move internationally. Good luck and good on you for taking care of kitty.

Also add my voice to those advising to spey/neuter your kitty. This can be done at about 4 months age. Kittens at this age recover much easier than older cats. The operation shouldn't cost more then 600-1,000 baht and will take about a week to two weeks to recover depending on sex. (Males recover quicker).

Edited by juggernaut
  • Like 1

Yes, I would also advice you to go to Dr. Somsak. He is one of the nicest persons I've ever met. And he is not expensive at all.

Talk to him (not to the staff) if you are short of cash. He's got a heart for animals and human as well.

Another possibility is Dog & Cat Rescue Samui.

www.samuidog.org.

There you might get a free treatment for your kitten.

Don't worry too much, the kitten will stay with you, wherever you go. Keep her, she will reward you with lots of love.

Clinic Ruk-Sa-Sat Samui

Veterinarian Dr. SomSak SriSuTaam (Male)

Address: 30/1 Moo 6 (Opposite Post office Cha-weng)

Tambol Bor Put

Ampur Samui

Tel# (077) 230-600, (077) 230-857

Cell# (081) 986-7404

I've traveled with a cat. Detroit to Phoenix via air. No problem at all. I got an under seat cat carrier and the cat was totally cool for the whole 5 hours.Not a peep. Take it with you! If you don't, it will bug your conscience for months.

My father traveled with his cat and kept it his condo for years! His name was "What Cat"! When anybody asked about whether he had a cat he just said his name!

The OP seems very uncertain about what 'weir' going to do in future. I hope this isn't just a passing fad that they get bored of when they decide to go tubing in Vang Vieng or return home to get a job as an accountant.

If you encourage the kitten to become reliant on you then it won't develop the toughness needed for survival without you. Are you really ready to make a commitment for what could be over a decade? How are you going to care for the cat when most apartments and condos have no pet policies? Who's going to look after it when you split up? Will you still be interested when it's no longer a kitten?

• Like 1

Hi everyone thank u for all the advice and encouragement and true questions of truth!

Personally always wanted a cat as love them dearly but my mum would never allow it since my bro n sisters got run over by a car and the other went missing. So this is what has truely got me especially as we've connected so much with her.

I meant not sure where we could be living as uncertain about work opportunities and how this will go. Nothing too wild or crazy to just drop her when it's not convenient. But yes want to be realistic - if there's anything about taking her to diff islands or places we should know or be aware of?

I appreciate the concern too- we've only cared for her for about a month now so u always hear the novelty can wear thin. But I think maybe the relationship and love would develop and as long as she didn't hate us for moving her.

I'm trying to call some places- I'll let you know what they say :)

Thanks everyone- I stumbles across another chat about this cat in koh tao and everyone was so helpful I joined to ask u all ur opinions- lol

So far I have adopted 2 stray kittens (about 8 weeks) and turned out to be great. Except after 1 year the first was hit by a car, and the second just recently vanished. We think someone stole the little guy because he seemed to be so popular with everyone in our village and was extremely playful and people friendly. The key is to get stray cats very young, 8 weeks is perfect. The older they get the more the "stray" mentality sinks in and would be better to just leave it if you decide to move.

You should get checked by the Vet to get de-wormed or any other disease it may have. The latest we gave injection for de-worming, tick medicine, and it had ring-worm so we were given medicine to give 1 time per day every day and only cost 900thb.

I only allow 1 cat at a time but when there is a "vacancy" in the house I will always help out a kitten in need of a good home. As long as they are young there is really no reason why they wouldn't be good to travel with you across the country.

Congratulations clap2.gif Great of you to take care of her - I was also adopted by a stray kitten a year ago.

What you do need to remember is that if you leave Thailand some day and want to take her with you, this will be quite a bit more expensive and complicated than moving with her inside Thailand. She will almost certainly need to be chipped, you will need to procure papers for her, may need to have blood samples X number of months before departure and she may need to spend several months in quarantine in your destination, depending on country.

• Like 1

Congratulations clap2.gif Great of you to take care of her - I was also adopted by a stray kitten a year ago.

What you do need to remember is that if you leave Thailand some day and want to take her with you, this will be quite a bit more expensive and complicated than moving with her inside Thailand. She will almost certainly need to be chipped, you will need to procure papers for her, may need to have blood samples X number of months before departure and she may need to spend several months in quarantine in your destination, depending on country.

Not necessarily so. While it may depend on the country, don't automatically assume the worst. For example:

"As a general rule, there are no restrictions on bringing domestic cats into the U.S."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/56/~/pets---cats

Not necessarily so. While it may depend on the country, don't automatically assume the worst. For example:

"As a general rule, there are no restrictions on bringing domestic cats into the U.S."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/56/~/pets---cats

Interesting, thanks. I think Thailand still requires certain things to allow the cat to leave the country...? Chipping, rabies vaccination and identity papers... I believe.

I got a load of stray kittens I have just found in my basement anyone is welcome to take them though they are useful for getting rid of rodents

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Of course you have to take her with you. You now have a life long bond with that kittie. You are Mama Cat.

Imagine your thoughts if you put her back on the street, and hers.

A cat is not a plaything, a fluffy toy. It is a living breathing loving adorable for perhaps 16 years being. You took her on, now get real and treat her as part of your family. And your life now revolves around her.

Please, don't put her out on the street.....

If you can't keep her, send her (at your expense, vaccinated, pasported etc) to me in Switzerland. She will live a life of fun with someone who cares for the next 16 or 18 years.

And see snow...

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 2

That's why, every time i have been to Samui. I have never gone and volenteered at the Cat or Dog Rescue place.

I would want to take the whole lot of them home with me.

The funniest story on here only a few months ago was about Bonjour the dog that went AWOL - a blondy that they found back on the beach sunning herself. She was on her way to Switzerland....

• Like 1