US radio star Casey Kasem dies at 82

webfact

US radio star Casey Kasem dies at 82

(BBC) DJ Casey Kasem, best known for hosting US radio show American Top 40, has died at the age of 82, his daughter has said.

Kasem became a household name in the US after launching the nationally-syndicated show in 1970.

He also voiced cartoon character Shaggy in Scooby-Doo.

He had suffered from Lewy body disease, a form of dementia, and had recently been at the centre of a bitter family court battle over his care.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27859559

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-06-16

Fond memories of him from radio. I was unaware of his voice being that of a scooby doo character.

RIP Casey!

His son Mark has been on radio in Singapore for the past couple of years. Not sure if he will follow his father to the level he attained, but intersting to hear when he first showed up there.

I was able to hear Casey Kasem ( re broadcasts ) every Sunday in Central Kentucky. He was one of the personalities that was talked about using his complete name, not a nickname or just one name. As a young man, I listened to his American Top 40, and the additional information he supplied about the recording artist, as a older man he brought back memories..

God bless, Casey Kasem!

My first gig in broadcasting was presenting the AT40 in Hong Kong back in the mid 80's as

a freelance broadcaster. I'd spin the AT40 records, insert adverts when required, read

the news & weather reports plus others PSA's and then spin the AT40 records again as

needed after the fillers were accomplished. One weekend, a Sunday, a new AT40 host

came on the scene; Shadoe Stevens. His AT 40 was OK...but to me not as smooth as

Casey Kasem's was. Anyway...after spinning the AT40 records, at programme end, I would

end up with perhaps 15 to 20 minutes of air-time when I could play...."Anything that wasn't

in the AT40"...Casey Kasem was a hard act to follow. I filled in the time with adult blues

oriented Rock & Roll till my "show" was over. Funny enough...I was given my own radio show

playing the blues as a result....mind you...this was back when radio (FM or AM) was

steam powered.

RIP Casey...Condolences to Kerri, Mike & Julie...and the Fans...

From that other..."Indiana J" character...hah!

Edited by sunshine51