Stop using bank notes inappropriately: BOT

webfact

I must say that the the Thais seems to remove bank notes before they have been thoroughly trashed. Back in the US, we continue to use the dollar notes even after they are ripped and taped back together. Of course when they make it to the bank, they are removed, but we have no issues using damaged notes. Maybe we are not a good example of how to treat currency in the US.

Don't worry about writing on the bank notes.

Worry more about the vast number of Thai's who put the notes in their mouth's when shopping sick.gif

My missus was always doing it until I told her the last person to touch the note may have scratched his arse prior to

using the money unsure.png

Rubbish, its the obsession with pristine crisp notes that costs them. ive had many refusals to take a baht note thats not in tip top condition many times, the most common refusal is the 100baht. and 20 baht, traders do it even banks do it ( or try ) until you make a stand and then they will take them because they have to and usually with a sour puss face on by then.

Thailand is the only country I know where banks turn away foreign notes if the condition of them isnt pristine enough and yes there is a reason for it, cost to the banks as they are not able to pass these back into circulation, its a stingy attitude though and infuriates tourists.

Top tip for notes that are just looking tired... damp and then iron them flat.. they should look ok to get rid of easy enough.

Thailand may be the only country to refuse accepting foreign bank notes that do not look clean, but France will not even accept its own bank notes. It just happened to me that nobody would accept an 500 Euro bill in Paris. No shop, no hotel, no money changer and no bank.

I had to go to the National Bank of France who first would only accept one single note. Upon insisting I was finally allowed to change 6 notes of 500 Euro for our group of people from Thailand.

And that's their own g**##@@m official currency!

Rubbish, its the obsession with pristine crisp notes that costs them. ive had many refusals to take a baht note thats not in tip top condition many times, the most common refusal is the 100baht. and 20 baht, traders do it even banks do it ( or try ) until you make a stand and then they will take them because they have to and usually with a sour puss face on by then.

Thailand is the only country I know where banks turn away foreign notes if the condition of them isnt pristine enough and yes there is a reason for it, cost to the banks as they are not able to pass these back into circulation, its a stingy attitude though and infuriates tourists.

Top tip for notes that are just looking tired... damp and then iron them flat.. they should look ok to get rid of easy enough.

Thailand may be the only country to refuse accepting foreign bank notes that do not look clean, but France will not even accept its own bank notes. It just happened to me that nobody would accept an 500 Euro bill in Paris. No shop, no hotel, no money changer and no bank.

I had to go to the National Bank of France who first would only accept one single note. Upon insisting I was finally allowed to change 6 notes of 500 Euro for our group of people from Thailand.

Not surprised the shops and hotels won't change them, that's nearly 680 dollars or 400 pounds.

Not surprised the shops and hotels won't change them, that's nearly 680 dollars or 400 pounds.

Have you seen the prices hotels in Paris charge for one night for a tiny room?

It's the bank cashiers who are responsible for much of the writing, as is the case in most countries. And with notes constantly being counted, whether by bank staff, often by machine, customers, shop assistants, et al, wear and tear is unavoidable.

Plastic, perhaps?

ECONOMY

Stop using bank notes inappropriately: BOT

The Nation

30236373-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bank of Thailand urged all Thais not to mark or write anything on bank notes, to help the country save hundreds of million each year.

In its statement, the central bank said that bank notes are degraded because of the marking and writing and they will be eliminated along with worn-out or torn bank notes.

It said that each year, billions of new bank notes are printed and 80 per cent of them replace the degraded bank notes. The replacement ratio is high compared to other countries’.

A study showed that if people correctly use the bank notes - without marking or tearing, such would help save hundreds of million required for the new note printing, it said.

It also advised all who possess such bank notes to exchange for new ones at Government Savings Bank and commercial banks.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-06-16

tell the police to stop taken em unappriately then

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I usually see the bank tellers writing on the notes to show how many they have in the stack so this should be the first place for this edict to be directed to.

+1...Yes, I have seen that many times too.

As with other posters the tellers at SCB always write on the top note when I pay my rent.

A few years back I took some cash out in the UK it had this nice message "fully spent this tenner on drugs xx"

Bank managers, eh.

• Like 1

Polymer notes are fine when their flat, trying to flatten one out after it has been folded in half or curled up is hard and you can not iron them cause they will melt. The Thai currency has the Kings image on it, defacing anything to do with the King is frowned upon, so why are people allowed to deface the the Kings image by writing on the notes.

i had £200 out of a £1000 thrown back at me from a booth, for being written all over, (but a thai got the money exchanged). now back in the uk i seem to have a fixation about it, just go throught your wallet, some of the English notes are disgusting with writing all over them, i now ask the Halifax to give me clean(both sides) notes and order in advance £50 notes. and no probs.but they have got a point, it is defacing the countrys curency.

Why is it not an offence to deface the currency like it is almost everywhere else. Simply just remind people that you are not permitted to write on and or staple the countries cash.

They really should just pay licensing fees and get on with polymer notes. It would reduce the level of replacements required for the lower denominations substantially.

Have you seen the prices hotels in Paris charge for one night for a tiny room?

Indonesia is the same especially about USD, and also if they are smart they wont accept certain years of issue.

Also for not accepting currency, I've had 10,000 SGD notes in the past that were a damn pain to deal with. I was using them to transfer money physically between banks, but they go and check the serial numbers against issued and stolen lists and demanded the source receipts and the like.

Fortunately I had it all, but it was time consuming... money should not be this obstructive other than when it comes to having enough of it.

They banned them in the UK since it seems their primary use is money laundering for organised crime syndicates.

Easier to smuggle.