Thai girls and their obsession with supporting their parents

Tmymaimee

Frankly, while I can see the point of view offered by the OP, I also would rather see error by going too far in the Thai way than on the way it can go too far in the West with parents abandoned to the nursing homes.

If you think it doesnt happen in Thailand you are sadly mistaken.

Just up the road from me there is a "nursing home" full of old people all Thai, costs about 18k per month per person.

Staffed by Burmese.

Someone somewhere (Thai) stumbled to the fact there is a need for this type of service.

In the poorer parts of LOS child nurturing is physically and emotionally brutal. 2 consequences: 1. the children seek to be independent, assertive and free. 2. Like all victims they are imprisoned in a subservient relationship with their tormentors. Simple really

I had a Thai girl ask me one time if daughters in America send money

to their parents. After falling to the floor laughing, I was finally able to pick

myself up and tell her in America parents in America help out their grown

children with money. She looked at me in disbelief, and was sure I was lying.

I have a three year old daughter here. And I have made it abundantly clear

to my wife that when our daughter grows up, her mission in life will NOT be
to send her earnings back to her family. It is a sad system of servitude that

I truly dislike.When she is older , I will tell it to her as well.

The sons from Isan seem to be little light in the sending of money, somehow

this burden has fallen upon the girls. Which is why they are prized more,

since they are seen a future income source.......

• Like 2

"In the west, so often if the parents are too stupid to work hard in school and drop out, but their kid becomes a success, the kid is smart enough to analyze the truth about why his parents are poor and too bad for them."

I feel really sorry for your parents for bringing you up!

• Like 1

Hey,whereyoustay,good topic,i was annoyed today again by the lazy Thai men,we had to go into town,so my Mrs had to close the shop,i asked why her Father could not sit in there for an hour",oh,he does not know the price for everything,"i told her hang on you have price labels on just about everything,"no he cannot" ,she said again,then i got it ,it was beneath him to sit in his daughters shop,and also he would have to stop lounging in his hammock,my step daughter usually run's the shop with my wife,but she is away,i asked what about your son when he comes home from school,she just shook her head,the little git never does anything,but toss litter around,so i have two fine examples of typical Thai men,too lazy to get of their <deleted> arse to even help the daughter,and mother ,that through me provides for them,i hold nothing but utter contempt for them

• Like 1

You are suffering a case of success bias. You think cause you can do it, everyone else should or can be able to do it too. News flash, life doesn't work that way for everyone. Good for you that you've made it, but never demean others in the process. It cheapens your achievement.

As for the OP, family is important here. It isn't rocket science. If it isn't sending money for the parents in the poorer demographic, it is the child's obligation to spend time with the parents in richer circles. Ever gone to a restaurant on a weekend to see three generations of a family eating with the parents. Week in. Week out.

I don't know if your refering to my post but if you are,that's nonsense,lazy git's are lazy git's,and for me get zero <deleted> respect.

^^^^, from what I have observed in Bkk, it would appear the kids are free loading off the parents.

Live rent free, have mom n pop guarantee your loans, take care of your kids, pay their school fees, etc etc.

The kids may be smarter than the parents, why turn your nose up at a free inheritance.

Everybody pays someday.

Just to play devil's advocate, why not? And who's to say it is abuse? It is their form of retirement.

Personally, I haven't seen it yet. So cannot have an opinion. My gf, and her siblings don't do this, nor have I seen others haranguing their daughters. Not to say it doesn't exist.

You are suffering a case of success bias. You think cause you can do it, everyone else should or can be able to do it too. News flash, life doesn't work that way for everyone. Good for you that you've made it, but never demean others in the process. It cheapens your achievement.

As for the OP, family is important here. It isn't rocket science. If it isn't sending money for the parents in the poorer demographic, it is the child's obligation to spend time with the parents in richer circles. Ever gone to a restaurant on a weekend to see three generations of a family eating with the parents. Week in. Week out.

I don't know if your refering to my post but if you are,that's nonsense,lazy git's are lazy git's,and for me get zero <deleted> respect.

Lazy is lazy. But was talking to the OP. Just noticed this was a new thread? What happened to the old one? I was kind of replying to something he said which I read before which is now gone!

Lazy is lazy. But was talking to the OP. Just noticed this was a new thread? What happened to the old one? I was kind of replying to something he said which I read before which is now gone!

This thread has changed again, weird stuff going on.

Frankly, while I can see the point of view offered by the OP, I also would rather see error by going too far in the Thai way than on the way it can go too far in the West with parents abandoned to the nursing homes.

I'm not sure which part of the west you are referring to, certainly in the UK the myth that most families abandon their parents has been exposed as just that myth.

Far from it, multi generational and extended family households have become far more common in the UK (amongst white British Families). Much of that has, like in Thailand, come about by economic pressures, but nevertheless social research on the place of the elderly within British families has revealed that levels of contact with between the aged and their children/grandchildren never ceased to the extent that we were told.

• Like 1

yeah,no prob's Samran,i don't really know which one i am on either,sorry mate,i would go back and read them but the footie is about to start,no offence intended.

• Like 1

Must admit, I am somewhat slightly peeved our regular Thai expert Sandman hasnt yet chimed it.

He will be on TV after his mrs has gave him a beating

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

My mother and my wife's mother are the same age (80). My mother

has it all thanks to my father and all kinds of investments.

My wife's mother has a paid for home and that's it. No income.

My wife and her 2 sisters take care of mum, the sons do nothing.

Every month wife sends Mum Bt2000. My wife is in America now as

a Thai chef, she made over Bt1,000,000 last year.

I ask'd her if this was enuf money for Mum, she said all she needs is food.

Then she smiles,and said mum never have to worry money,she have ME.

Priceless!

• Like 1

Why is this type of posting by the OP allowed to continue?

Why not? It a really interesting aspect of Thai culture and value systems. It implies no criticism..it asks ...what is going on here? The whole issue of respect and obeisance and devotion and love and duty in Thai culture is so different from that in the west it deserves airing..no?

iimplies no critcism? read it again

Hey,whereyoustay,good topic,i was annoyed today again by the lazy Thai men,we had to go into town,so my Mrs had to close the shop,i asked why her Father could not sit in there for an hour",oh,he does not know the price for everything,"i told her hang on you have price labels on just about everything,"no he cannot" ,she said again,then i got it ,it was beneath him to sit in his daughters shop,and also he would have to stop lounging in his hammock,my step daughter usually run's the shop with my wife,but she is away,i asked what about your son when he comes home from school,she just shook her head,the little git never does anything,but toss litter around,so i have two fine examples of typical Thai men,too lazy to get of their <deleted> arse to even help the daughter,and mother ,that through me provides for them,i hold nothing but utter contempt for them

typical thai men in YOUR FAMILY!!! the men in mine work damn hard