Ulysses Club Thailand formation and Inaugural Meeting

Celtica

As an outsider's suggestion regarding the magazine. It may be possible to arrange to have the publication sent in bulk in one package to Thailand and then for it to be remailed here. Then it should not need the full $60 cost as all of them can be couriered here as a pack for round that

Edited by harrry

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an outsider's suggestion regarding the magazine. It may be possible to arrange to have the publication sent in bulk in one package to Thailand and then for it to be remailed here. Then it should not need the full $60 cost as all of them can be couriered here as a pack for round that

How about making availible online ,how difficult is that in this age of the internet .$60 is a bit rich for something that could be viewed online to payed up members.

How about making availible online ,how difficult is that in this age of the internet .$60 is a bit rich for something that could be viewed online to payed up members.

One reason could be that advertisers will pay for a paper magazine while they will not for a downloadable one. I do not know if that is the case with this. I know with the two proffessional organisations i have kept my membership up with (ACM and IEEE) they still send send physical magazines though they are web available and in the case of a couple of them they are not optional. Both of these magazines are delivered resent in Thailand. There is at least one company that handles this.

Please see response on following post

Please note:

1. A draft copy of the proposal for sanctioning by the Ulysses Club National Committee in Australia, which if successful will result in the formal establishment of the Ulysses Club Thailand is currently being reviewed by the Club's International Liaison Henry Rokx. Upon confirmation of the acceptability of our proposal a formal application will be lodged.

2. Also, by way of a further update, a Club Logo is currently being designed by a local Chiang Mai graphic designer, which when accepted by the local Club membership, will also be forwarded tot he Ulysses Club National Committee in Australia for their endorsement.

3. A number of constitutions are being looked at by local members with a view to the adoption of that which is deemed most suitable to the needs of the Club in Thailand.

I am aware that all of the above sounds highly bureaucratic, but it is a necessary part of the process for officially forming a Ulysses Club in Thailand.

Best wishes to all

Dave

Good luck Dave! I look forward to riding one day with you guys (I qualify as I'm 53 this year smile.png)

Look forward to this any time it suits...just email me and I would be happy to hook up for a ride. It will be great to have a 'young bloke' along!

• Like 1

PLEASE NOTE IMPORTANT GENERAL MEETING OF ULYSSES CLUB THAILAND:

DATE: 16 JULY @ 12 NOON

N.B. Please email me requesting a copy of Agenda if you intend coming to the meeting

Cheers

Dave Thomson-Harry

President: Ulysses Club Thailand

• 2 weeks later...

RIDE/MEETING INFORMATION UPDATE:

RIDE: WED 23 JULY - Departing @ 9.30am from Shell gas station, west side of moat and doing Sameong loop. Stops for coffee and lunch. Approx. return time: 2.00pm. All scooters and big bikes welcome. New riders also welcome to attend.

SOCIAL GET TOGETHER: Also WED 23 JULY- 7.30pm @ the Roo Bar on Loi Kroh Rd. New members always welcome, so please come along, make yourself known, and join in on what should be another great night of bikes, bull and banter.

Dave

• Like 1

RIDE/MEETING INFORMATION UPDATE:

RIDE: WED 23 JULY - Departing @ 9.30am from Shell gas station, west side of moat and doing Sameong loop. Stops for coffee and lunch. Approx. return time: 2.00pm. All scooters and big bikes welcome. New riders also welcome to attend.

SOCIAL GET TOGETHER: Also WED 23 JULY- 7.30pm @ the Roo Bar on Loi Kroh Rd. New members always welcome, so please come along, make yourself known, and join in on what should be another great night of bikes, bull and banter.

Dave

cool man, nice to see things are moving!

UPDATED RIDE & MEETING INFORMATION

Please note the following amendments to the previous post re ride and social meeting times, which have been implemented in response to requests from Club members:

RIDES: Every Friday departing @ 9.30am from the Shell gas station on the west side moat road. Again riders attending are asked to arrive in sufficient time to fill their bike with fuel, check tyre pressures etc, so that we can leave promptly

SOCIAL GET TOGETHERS: Every Wednesday @ 6.00pm. Meeting place is the Roo Bar on Loi Kroh Rd

**************Existing and prospective Club members are cordially invited to attend the above Club events.

ULYSSES CLUB THAILAND

CLUB MEMBERSHIP

To make application to join the Ulysses Club Thailand, please:
1. Complete the Membership Application Form (Membership rates below). Membership form available from: [email protected]
Full member:
1500 baht p.a.
Associate member
(spouse/partner etc of full member): 500 baht p.a.
(N.B.
Membership is for 1 year from the date of approval. Please also note that the onus is on individuals to renew your membership)

2. Return the completed Membership Application Form with the appropriate fee to David Thomson-Harry at any Club social meeting (Roo Bar Loi Kroh Rd on Wednesday evenings at 6.00pm), or any Club ride.
Please note:
  • A receipt will be provided upon payment, and your Membership Card will be available within one week of the payment of Membership Fees
  • Ulysses Club Thailand and Old Man logos must only be worn by Full or Associate financial members of the Club
  • Each Full Member shall receive free, one embroidered Ulysses Club Thailand logo and one Old Man logo (chest size, for placement on riding jackets etc) as soon as stocks are available
  • Additional logos will be available to purchase at prices yet to be determined
  • Correct placement of Club logo is required: Ulysses Club Thailand logo LHS of chest/Old Man logo RHS of chest. For sleeve placement please follow same side recommendations
  • Old Man back patches will also be available for purchase soon. Club Members will be advised of prices and availability.
Looking forward to receiving your membership applications to help grow the Ulysses Club Thailand
Dave
  • Like 1

To be honest, I've only scanned this thread but what does one receive for the 1500฿ membership fee apart from the 2 patches?

The Annual Membership provides Club Members with the following benefits:

• Entitlement to participation in all scheduled Ulysses Club events, including weekly rides, social gatherings and other functions which will occur from time to time, the range and diversity of which will develop as the Club grows. On Friday 1st. August, the ride attracted 20 plus riders-no small turn out for the second scheduled ride organised! In Australia, many clubs organise up to 5 events weekly-whether this is replicated here in Thailand will depend on the enthusiasm of Club members
  • National and now global connections to all other Ulysses Clubs both within Thailand and internationally. As the Club grows in Thailand (and it will, as a second branch will soon be formed in Kanchanaburi), with the benefits this brings, such as ride companions, visa/travel/motorcycle/emergency etc assistance to visiting riders-this is already occurring with a number of riders travelling to Chiang Mai from other parts of Thailand to ride with the Club. Members from Australia will similarly be travelling to Thailand and taking advantage of the companionship/ fraternal links the Club provides
  • Club organised road side First Aid-soon to be made available to all UCT members
  • As the Club develops, a range of supplier discounts such as those readily available in Australia. It is recognized that this will take time, but as the Club expands this will surely become a reality.
  • Access to a wide range of official Club merchandise able to be purchased from both the UCT and also the Club in Australia
  • The local and international logos you mentioned are more an expression of good faith by the Club to its members, not the only thing available to members.

I trust that this is of some assistance, and I would point out that the annual membership fee of 1500B is affordable to most, and will be subject to annual review by the Club Management Committee.

Regards and thanks for your inquiry

Dave

• 1 month later...

Congratulations in gaining recognition.

I will be in Chaing Mai over Christmas, and hope to be able to get to a meeting.

I Have a house in Damnoen Saduak (Floating Market fame). so branch in Kanchanaburi would be close to me. Now to work out how to get my ST1100 to Thailand

Brock
Ulysses #32829

Joondalup Ulysses Web Guy

Edited by Brock

I will be in Chaing Mai over Christmas, and hope to be able to get to a meeting.

I Have a house in Damnoen Saduak (Floating Market fame). so branch in Kanchanaburi would be close to me. Now to work out how to get my ST1100 to Thailand

Brock

Ulysses #32829

There's no way mate. Lots have tried and without exception, it has all ended in tears. Your best bet is to buy a bike locally. There has never been a better time, with the choices now available in Thailand.

I test rode the ST 1050 just a week ago. Britbike is selling their demo model for only 550,000 baht. If I hadn't just bought a N1000, that bike would be mine now.

Lots have tried and without exception

I can dream cant I, I love my Honda ST1100. That huge white bike would look good on the roads in Thailand. The easy part for me would be getting it through the Port, All I need is the permission to bring it.. coffee1.gifblink.pngblink.pngblink.png

Hi guys, I just got back from visiting Thailand, went up to Chiang Mai for 3 days and went for ride with the new Ulysses Club.

They have a ride every Friday starting at 9:30am, I contacted them before I arrived and organized where to hire a bike from, the president, David Thomson met me at a bike shop on the Thursday and I signed the hire agreement. If you are into all things motorbikes and are an experienced rider, Chiang Mai is a great place to ride.

post-213173-0-66680100-1410963804_thumb. post-213173-0-95170900-1410963822_thumb.

I hired a Kawasaki 650 Versys from this place, they are normally 1800baht for the day but because I was with the club, I got it for 1500baht with a helmet. This is a great bike and perfect for the ride.

post-213173-0-74006900-1410963947_thumb.

All meeting up at a Shell service station.....

Stopped at a couple of cafe's along the way with the final destination being the Charin Garden Resort, reason for this, was pie.....yes....Pie! Apparently, the pies baked at the Charin Garden Resort are worth riding 3/4 of the way to Chiang Rai for...great! Check this out on their site http://www.afar.com/highlights/of-pies-and-land

post-213173-0-82647300-1410963956_thumb. post-213173-0-30247200-1410963968_thumb.

The Cafés...

post-213173-0-59499300-1410963982_thumb.

Back on the road....

But we never made it, as we continued on, we soon realized we were heading towards huge black rain clouds and the lead rider soon pulled over to discuss this......nobody was keen to continue, so it was decided to turn around and have lunch somewhere else, well it is the wet season so this must be expected.

A good thing about Thailand is, you are never too far away from a great restaurant and the one we all stopped at was excellent.

I was very impressed with the road conditions, very well surfaced and some great winding roads with huge sweeping bends.

post-213173-0-96981200-1410963994_thumb.

Lunch stop....

post-213173-0-89248200-1410964005_thumb. post-213173-0-12420800-1410964018_thumb.

A great little garden area at the back of the restaurant..

post-213173-0-32410000-1410964034_thumb.

The motley crew...

post-213173-0-16297400-1410964046_thumb.
We all did....

After lunch, we sped back to Chiang Mai, it did rain for a bit but not too much and all met up in town at a place called Riders Corner for a chat about the ride and few refreshing beverages. It was a very good day and a great ride, I was told, route 118 is not the best road around Chiang Mai and there are much better ones to explore. I am thinking, every time I return to Chiang Mai, I will make sure it is before a Friday so I can again go for a ride with the Ulysses Club of Thailand and experience more places.....if you are an experienced rider, I highly recommend hiring a motorbike and going for a ride with people with local knowledge, you will have a ball.

I will be back there in late October and will be heading up that way again for 3 days for another Friday morning ride....anyone else?

• Like 2

Has anyone signed up from Pattaya, Jomtien, Sattahip or Rayong yet, would certainly be interested in joining. Im an old fart in cruise mode.

Hey aitch52,

Do you have a bike in Thailand? if so, what have you got? I haven't bought a big bike there yet but am in the market....

post-213173-0-75001000-1410965502_thumb. post-213173-0-43199800-1410965551_thumb.

Here is a photo of my Perth bike...after I killed Skippy the bush Kangaroo.....R1100 RT.

Brock

Ulysses #32829

Hi Brock,

I wanted to send my old BA Falcon over to Thailand rather than buy one there, its a 2003 model, not a bad car and worth nothing here in Oz. I looked into it a about 5 years ago and back then because of the age of the car and not condition they wanted nearly 1,000,000 baht in taxes to import it....bugger that.

Cheaper to buy a new one in Thailand...

Hi Fileep

yes mate I have 2 bikes here, a Yamaha Virago XV535S and a Honda Phantom plodder, looking to get out for some rides and going on the Distinguished Gentlemans ride on the 28th of this month. Looks like it was a nasty spill with Skippy.

Edited by aitch52
  • Like 1

I realsie that getting the Honda to Thailand is extremely difficult/expesive but it would be nice. Now if I could find an ST1100 or 1300 there, I might consider buying it. Iwill also look at other options, as the little bikes just wont do.

STBack.jpg

Edited by Brock
  • Like 1

Has anyone signed up from Pattaya, Jomtien, Sattahip or Rayong yet, would certainly be interested in joining. Im an old fart in cruise mode.

Hi aitch52, I'm in Jomtien and have signed up to the Chiang Mai club until I know what I'm doing about setting up a branch in either Jomtien or Kanchanaburi. I visited Kanchanaburi for 4 days after going for a Friday morning ride in Chiang Mai. I have driven a car around Kanchanaburi for the last 5 years but wanted to hire a bike to check out the roads. The only big bike they had was a 150cc and the only one farang (I had found) with a larger bike (Monster). The Aussie guy who runs Hellfire Pass is talking about buying a Harley, and then there would be me...so that is 3. There are a lot of Thai bikers around but I think they would not be interested in signing up and forking out membership for a club like this.

One the other hand, Jomtien has heaps of farangs with bikes but I'm not sure of the roads and day trips but you can hire larger type bikes for touring and I will look at that next month when I am in town. Have you been (or any other person) riding around the Pattaya/Chon Buri area? Are there good roads, places to visit for a day ride, I would say, up to a 250km radius? If so can you tell me about them.

Next month I will be contacting with a Swedish guy who is living in Rayong and has ridden for many years around Chon Buri, I will see what he has to say and hopefully get in a few day rides with him....if you are in the area please join us.

Where are you based?