Window mounted air conditioner in chiang mai

BuffaloRescue

Hi

Im staying at condo that doesnt have a balcony and management wont let me fix AC to outside wall. Its on third floor, not sure how they would manage to actually install an ac without scaffolding

Ive seen AC units that go through a window, so half is outside window and half is inside.

I think these are much better than the portable ac units which dont work well and use a lot of electricity.

Has anyone seen these window AC units in chiang mai for sale anywhere? Thanks

i remember this being discussed about a year ago as another member had the same question. in the end nobody had ever seen one here and could not offer any advice to the member.

i've not ever seen a window mounted unit before in Thailand. i know they are popular in America but don't seem to be available here.

they do have the portable units that you can roll around the house. not great but better than nothing. good luck.

Edited by Oscar2

Pretty sure what you have seen here are just corsair type extract fans or the air intake fans.

Both cost less than a 1000bt., and easy enough to fit .

They are not ac units.

You can get the portable water cooled units,for 6k baht at the big stores. They are pretty powerful and effective despite their surprisingly low power rating. (less than those upright fans)

Watch out for noise. I've rented a few places in Australia with window-mounted ACs, and believe me, you do not get the silence of a split air con.

Anything in the window frame, loose glass, louvres, will rattle like a bomber taking off! I once had one that spat chunks of ice out the vents.

Do what you can to get a split job, tho it sounds difficult in your situation.

When I did have one of my own fitted, a carpenter had to make a timber frame, and the air con unit fitted to this.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I recently purchased a used window air conditioner for hot summer days. On the other hand, I'm a bit confused about the exhaust tube and it how it functions concerning the windows.

Thanks!

Drain tube? needs to drip outside. Evap coolers are great, when it's dry; terrible, when it's humid. To the OP. perhaps you can find a through the wall unit....but as far as the 3rd floor...the techs get on those bamboo ladders up to the fourth floor. They use a wall mount rack for the condensing unit. Are you sayin' no one in your building has a/c? My building is 27 yo, and is about 2/3 a/c. Our units only have 25 amp service, too.