General question...

h90

We build a small weekend house and Mrs. h90 got the idea if we should build a pool.

We will be there just 1-2 times a month for 2-3 days in average. My opinion was that it is difficult to service a pool and keep it alive (or better keep the life out it).

Her idea was that we just fill it up when we come and pump it out when we leave and it won't cost as we suck the water from a well.

My thought is that it isn't that simple and just ground water will develop problems within a few days.

Am I right?

Sounds like a big effort to me.

Here's a calculator for pool volume.

http://www.swimmingpool.com/maintenance/testing-your-water/pool-volume-calculator

Thai wives are the best at getting big ideas aren't they...mine includedrolleyes.gif

yes I guess filling needs longer than the weekend we stay there. And when empty it where to put a lot water in a short time?

Yup.....fantastic ideas not hindered by any technical facts.

• Like 2

For a small pool, for example up to around 3x9 (e.g. about 27,000 litres), emptying it and refilling it could be an economical solution, particularly as your water is free and you won't be using the pool for more than 3 days. Any longer than three days then you will need to filter the water and sanitise it with chlorine. You should nevertheless do a full analysis of your well water to see if it is suitable for bathing without filtration and treatment for up to three days.

Much depends however on how long it takes to fill the pool and how much water your well will provide before it runs dry. . It could take up to around 24 hours to fill a small pool.

You can send us a sample of your water for a full laboratory test. See details at Total Water Analysis.

If you are going to be there at least twice a month and would find filling and emptying the pool each time to be inconvenient, again assuming it would be a fairly small pool, say up to about 4 x 10, a proper pool filtration system, and perhaps including a chlorine tablet dispenser, or even installing a salt water chlorination system, will not impact significantly on the total build cost of the pool.

Edited by SwimmingPoolsThailand

• 2 weeks later...

Electricity to pump water up from a well is not free! Costs about the same as the cheap piped water supply (4 baht a cu.m.) from my Isaan village in my case.

Check the chemical balance of the water from your well before deciding to use it. Mine is very alkaline and needs a lot of acid to bring it in range. My pool builder persuaded me to have a well and tower put in when we built the pool, but I now use village water (for some reason it is far less alkaline even though it draws from the same water table) for top ups!

Probably you have come to the correct decision not to bother anyway. Half the people I meet with pools seem to wish they hadn't bothered and they are all full timers! Not me though - with a young family who have many friends and a need for personal daily exercise I'm still enthusiastic!

Electricity to pump water up from a well is not free! Costs about the same as the cheap piped water supply (4 baht a cu.m.) from my Isaan village in my case.

Probably you have come to the correct decision not to bother anyway. Half the people I meet with pools seem to wish they hadn't bothered and they are all full timers! Not me though - with a young family who have many friends and a need for personal daily exercise I'm still an enthusiast!