Installing a NAS with TOT router

WorriedNoodle

Hi,

I'm new at this, but wanted to install a wireless NAS for our family media (was thinking of a WD Cloud Mirror device - like they sell on Invade IT). We have a bog standard TOT router (TD854W) that I cannot find much about on Google, but I think its rated at 10/100 mbps LAN?? It works well enough for internet streaming around the house, will it handle the NAS OK?

* Can these NAS drives run completely wireless or do they need to be actually wired into to TOT router via ethernet cable? I was hoping to go completely wireless? The manual seems to suggest an ethernet cable is needed?

Really appreciate the help provided on this forum guys, thanks.

When I first bought a NAS I also thought of copying Files via Wireless, but just after copying 1 set of files (avg 2-3 GB) I stopped and copied via Ethernet.

If you don't mind that copying takes ages use wireless, but if you like speed, change your Router to support Gigabit and make sure that your NAS supports the same.

The WD MyClouds need to connect to your network using an ethernet cable - they do not have a built-in wifi client.

100mbps will be fine for streaming video out of it so long as there's not too much other activity on your local network, but the question is, how are you going to load content onto the NAS?

There a few different ways:

1) Attaching a USB drive directly to the NAS, then using the "backup" feature to copy the content across. This method is surprisingly slow, and unaffected by your router's 100mbps cap.

2) Downloading files fresh using the NAS's built-in http/ftp/p2p/torrent client - unaffected by the 100mbps limit - because you obviously have <= 100mbps internet ;)

3) Uploading from your PC over the network share: this is faster than 1&2, but will be very much limited by the 100mbps max. If this is going to be the way you do it, you might want to look into a 1gbps switch or wifi router - and if the latter, you would probably want wireless AC so you get good wifi speeds.

• Like 1