Cricket International Series & General Chat

8 hours ago, BookMan said:

try incognito mode...

"new incognito window" on teh Chrome browser options

U can read all the News Limited subscription articles for free teh same way

Thanks BM.

Not sure what happened as been watching it for ages.

With my knowledge of computers, going "incognito" will be my last option:smile:

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This guy played at my mates grade club in Perth.

He had some serious wheels.

Ponting and Viv Richards have both said he was as the quickest they'd faced.

Recalling Duncan Spencer, the cricketer who lived fast and bowled even faster

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/the-nightwatchman/2016/sep/16/duncan-spencer-cricket-fast-bowler

I'm a fan of the BB but I'm not really a fan of having players micéd up.

Do we really need mic'ed up players after this? 

Questions have begun circling in regards to the necessity of having players mic’ed up during Big Bash matches, following an eyebrow-raising incident during Adelaide’s Wednesday night demolition of the Sydney Thunder.

Many critics have highlighted the strange on air incident, in which Channel 10 commentator, Mark Howard, notified Adelaide skipper Brad Hodge of Ben Laughlin’s fantastic record against Shane Watson.

While there was no obvious malice intended by Howard at the time, it has raised questions as to whether it is completely necessary to have players on the microphone while they take the field.

Hodge was quick to introduce Laughlin into the attack after learning the medium pacer had Watson’s measure — dismissing him twice in his last eight balls.

“Our master statistician, Lawrie Colliver, tells us Laughlin has got Watson twice in the last eight balls he’s bowled him in this competition,” Howard told Hodge during the live broadcast.

“Really?” Hodge queried. “I’ll bring him on next over then. Let’s get him into the game,” he laughed.

Howard then continued: “I’ll leave that with you skipper.”

While it’s clear there was no intentional wrong-doing in this instance, it paints a poor picture for cricket following a number of live betting incidents during recent BBL, and cricket matches more broadly around the world in recent times.

47 minutes ago, Will27 said:

This guy played at my mates grade club in Perth.

He had some serious wheels.

Ponting and Viv Richards have both said he was as the quickest they'd faced.

Recalling Duncan Spencer, the cricketer who lived fast and bowled even faster

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/the-nightwatchman/2016/sep/16/duncan-spencer-cricket-fast-bowler

Great article.:thumbsup:

CA unhappy with on-air tactics exchange

Cricket Australia's integrity unit is looking into an incident during Wednesday's Big Bash League game between Sydney Thunder and Adelaide Strikers after the broadcasters, Channel Ten, passed on tactical information to Brad Hodge, the Strikers captain, during the game. The governing body said it was "disappointed" with the incident. 

After his team posted 178, Hodge was miked up in the field - as he has been all tournament - by Ten. Statistician Lawrie Colliver revealed on air that one of Hodge's bowlers, Ben Laughlin, had a strong recent record against Thunder captain Shane Watson, information that commentator Mark Howard then passed on to Hodge when they next spoke. An over later, Hodge brought Laughlin into the attack. Laughlin's introduction did not bring about Watson's wicket, though, and Thunder eventually lost by 77 runs.

The full on-air exchange

Mark Howard: "Just before we let you go Hodgey, our master statistician Lawrie Colliver tells us Laughlin has got Watson twice in the last eight balls he's bowled him in this competition."

Brad Hodge: "Really."

Howard: "I'll leave that with you."

Hodge: "I'll bring him on next over then, let's get him into the game."

Laughlin is brought on.

Howard: "Blow me down, Ben Laughlin comes into the attack."

Kevin Pietersen: "Very naughty. Very, very naughty Howie."

"Australian cricket has a long-standing, proactive approach to sports integrity management," a Cricket Australia spokesperson said. "We educate our broadcasters at the beginning of each season in the area of Cricket Australia's Integrity codes and policies so they fully understand the extent we take to ensure the integrity of cricket in the country.

"We are disappointed with the comments made on the BBL broadcast last night, and expressed this concern immediately to Channel Ten when it occurred.

"Cricket Australia's integrity unit is looking into the matter further to ensure the comments made during the broadcast did not jeopardise the integrity of last night's match."

On Thursday, Network Ten apologised for the incident. "Network Ten apologises to Cricket Australia for comments made during last night's KFC Big Bash League match," a Ten spokesperson said.

"The comments were in no way intended to advise Adelaide Strikers captain Brad Hodge on game tactics or influence the outcome of the game. Network Ten ensures that all commentators are educated on Cricket Australia's integrity codes and policies."

After the game, Watson had been left nonplussed when asked about the on-air conversation. 

"No," said Watson, when asked if he had an opinion on the issue. "That's what happens. There are always guys who have success against you, and some guys don't. No, I've got no comment."

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

CA unhappy with on-air tactics exchange

Cricket Australia's integrity unit is looking into an incident during Wednesday's Big Bash League game between Sydney Thunder and Adelaide Strikers after the broadcasters, Channel Ten, passed on tactical information to Brad Hodge, the Strikers captain, during the game. The governing body said it was "disappointed" with the incident. 

After his team posted 178, Hodge was miked up in the field - as he has been all tournament - by Ten. Statistician Lawrie Colliver revealed on air that one of Hodge's bowlers, Ben Laughlin, had a strong recent record against Thunder captain Shane Watson, information that commentator Mark Howard then passed on to Hodge when they next spoke. An over later, Hodge brought Laughlin into the attack. Laughlin's introduction did not bring about Watson's wicket, though, and Thunder eventually lost by 77 runs.

The full on-air exchange

Mark Howard: "Just before we let you go Hodgey, our master statistician Lawrie Colliver tells us Laughlin has got Watson twice in the last eight balls he's bowled him in this competition."

Brad Hodge: "Really."

Howard: "I'll leave that with you."

Hodge: "I'll bring him on next over then, let's get him into the game."

Laughlin is brought on.

Howard: "Blow me down, Ben Laughlin comes into the attack."

Kevin Pietersen: "Very naughty. Very, very naughty Howie."

"Australian cricket has a long-standing, proactive approach to sports integrity management," a Cricket Australia spokesperson said. "We educate our broadcasters at the beginning of each season in the area of Cricket Australia's Integrity codes and policies so they fully understand the extent we take to ensure the integrity of cricket in the country.

"We are disappointed with the comments made on the BBL broadcast last night, and expressed this concern immediately to Channel Ten when it occurred.

"Cricket Australia's integrity unit is looking into the matter further to ensure the comments made during the broadcast did not jeopardise the integrity of last night's match."

On Thursday, Network Ten apologised for the incident. "Network Ten apologises to Cricket Australia for comments made during last night's KFC Big Bash League match," a Ten spokesperson said.

"The comments were in no way intended to advise Adelaide Strikers captain Brad Hodge on game tactics or influence the outcome of the game. Network Ten ensures that all commentators are educated on Cricket Australia's integrity codes and policies."

After the game, Watson had been left nonplussed when asked about the on-air conversation. 

"No," said Watson, when asked if he had an opinion on the issue. "That's what happens. There are always guys who have success against you, and some guys don't. No, I've got no comment."

I dont see the big deal.

Do BBL not have access to detailed stats and do their homework?

Should the commentators be talking about Beef pies and hot chips? Pigeons in the outer?

CA should give BBL telecast rights to Channel and that should ensure some well worn commentary

1 hour ago, BookMan said:

I dont see the big deal.

Do BBL not have access to detailed stats and do their homework?

Should the commentators be talking about Beef pies and hot chips? Pigeons in the outer?

CA should give BBL telecast rights to Channel and that should ensure some well worn commentary

IMO, it's not a good look for the game.

Yes the teams should do their homework, but out there in the heat of battle you can forget things.

The commentators have enough to talk about without giving stats that could influence a game.

I don't think there was anything sinister from Howie in it, but yo have to make a stand.

Otherwise where do you draw the line?

11 hours ago, Will27 said:

IMO, it's not a good look for the game.

Yes the teams should do their homework, but out there in the heat of battle you can forget things.

The commentators have enough to talk about without giving stats that could influence a game.

I don't think there was anything sinister from Howie in it, but yo have to make a stand.

Otherwise where do you draw the line?

All those stats are readily available and teams are always sending out messages.  I can't see the difference between that and a commentator bringing up some hard stats that are fact based.

Something that is OUT of the public domain would be different...or something not factual.
"HOdgey, we heard that Watson is carrying a groin injury and cant move quick between the wickets"
That's speculative/hearsay/private knowlegde, whereas a stat is just basic research

10 hours ago, BookMan said:

All those stats are readily available and teams are always sending out messages.  I can't see the difference between that and a commentator bringing up some hard stats that are fact based.

Something that is OUT of the public domain would be different...or something not factual.
"HOdgey, we heard that Watson is carrying a groin injury and cant move quick between the wickets"
That's speculative/hearsay/private knowlegde, whereas a stat is just basic research

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one BM.

Nothing wrong with the commentators bringing up stats but's it's an entirely different scenario when passing them

onto the field.

IMO, the commentators role when speaking to captains is to find out what they think of the state of the game

and what they intend to do going forward.

It's not to impart stats which could give them an advantage.

Also with spot betting on T20 being huge, it's can give punters an advantage.

Another belter of a game last night with which had a farcical ending.

Probably one of the worst last overs bowled to win a game that I can remember.

The Heat were 7 down and required 18 to win the game. Rimmingtons first ball was a wide and the next 2

went for 6. So 5 to win from 4. Got a wicket with his 3rd ball and the 4th was a wide.  Fourth

ball bowled again and there was a run out. Heat needing 4 off 2. Another wide from the 5th

and it's 3 from 2. The 5th ball was nearly a wide but no run meaning 3 to win or 2 for a super over

from the last ball. The last ball was a wide meaning they needed 2 to win or 1 to tie but there was

a mix up with the batsmen and there was a run out.

Make sense:tongue:

Anyway, leaves the door ajar for the Scorchers to get a home final if the can beat Hobart and increase their

run rate.

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one BM.

Nothing wrong with the commentators bringing up stats but's it's an entirely different scenario when passing them

onto the field.

IMO, the commentators role when speaking to captains is to find out what they think of the state of the game

and what they intend to do going forward.

It's not to impart stats which could give them an advantage.

Also with spot betting on T20 being huge, it's can give punters an advantage.

I just can't see any reason not to allow the type of comment he made.

Any stat is in the public domain...why not ask the Captain why he is or isn't utilising his players to the max.

The likelihood of that information influencing a game is remote, when you consider all the tens of thousands of statistical variable per game.
A supporter could shout the same information from the crowd, or what about stats that are flashed up on screen?

It's an over reaction in my mind. 

2 hours ago, BookMan said:

I just can't see any reason not to allow the type of comment he made.

Any stat is in the public domain...why not ask the Captain why he is or isn't utilising his players to the max.

The likelihood of that information influencing a game is remote, when you consider all the tens of thousands of statistical variable per game.
A supporter could shout the same information from the crowd, or what about stats that are flashed up on screen?

It's an over reaction in my mind. 

It's not in the commentators job description to be giving out stats, let alone to question the captains tactics IMO.

6 hours ago, Will27 said:

It's not in the commentators job description to be giving out stats, let alone to question the captains tactics IMO.

U are talking specifically when they are using the on field microphone i assume.

I say once u open up the microphone, anything they say in the commentary box is fair game for on field

Overall i don't like the onfield microphone. It makes the game more novelty than serious...like a celebrity match

2 hours ago, ripstanley said:

The semi finals are set. 

Tuesday:  Scorchers V Stars in Perth.

Wednesday:  Heat V Sixers in Brisbane.

My dream final would be Sixers V Heat in Sydney.

In reality Scorchers V Heat /Sixers in Perth

Does anyone know if players from the ODI squad will be available for the final of the BB?

I know Lynn is inured but the Stars would get 5 players back if they were available.

** Just checked the fixtures and Australia play NZ in an ODI on 30 Jan so I guess not.

2 hours ago, BookMan said:

U are talking specifically when they are using the on field microphone i assume.

I say once u open up the microphone, anything they say in the commentary box is fair game for on field

Overall i don't like the onfield microphone. It makes the game more novelty than serious...like a celebrity match

Yep, when talking to players via the on field microphones.

I've said previously I'm not a fan of players being mic'ed up.

I realise the BB is aimed at a different demographic, but they do have to make sure that the cricket is the number one

priority. It wouldn't take much for it to slip into novelty match.

<deleted>.

Just when he hit form

Shaun Marsh to miss any Scorchers grand final due to Australian call-up

Shaun Marsh will miss the Big Bash League final - should the Perth Scorchers earn the right to host it - after being called up for Australia’s one-day tour of New Zealand.

Players in the ODI tour squad are not available for the BBL final. Marsh’s half-century against Hobart on the weekend was a key factor in the Scorchers qualifying to host a semi-final against the Melbourne Stars on Tuesday.

Marsh and Aaron Finch got their call-ups after Usman Khawaja and David Warner were both ruled out of the tour.

11 hours ago, Will27 said:

<deleted>.

Just when he hit form

Shaun Marsh to miss any Scorchers grand final due to Australian call-up

Shaun Marsh will miss the Big Bash League final - should the Perth Scorchers earn the right to host it - after being called up for Australia’s one-day tour of New Zealand.

Players in the ODI tour squad are not available for the BBL final. Marsh’s half-century against Hobart on the weekend was a key factor in the Scorchers qualifying to host a semi-final against the Melbourne Stars on Tuesday.

Marsh and Aaron Finch got their call-ups after Usman Khawaja and David Warner were both ruled out of the tour.

be interesting to see comparitive viewing figures

Davey warner

The guy goes from playing strength to playing strength

I have to admire how he has turned around his onfield antics to become a seriously better player than he was before.
He looks superfit. Keeps his concentration for the most part, and continually takes the game from the opposition.

Our boy Maxwell could take a few leaves from the page of Warner self improvement

12 hours ago, BookMan said:

Coincidence for sure that i posted it

I had no idea  he had won the medal when i wrote that

I'm not so sure about that BookMan.

I watched It live and just after the result was announced, I saw Chimpy sending a text message.

It looked as if Chimps was bringing the house down at Meg Lanning's table.

The juggernaut continues.

Channel Ten ended up with a bargain paying $20 million a year.

With the rights up for grabs next year, I'd expect that amount to at least double, possible triple.

Big Bash League overtakes Australian Open in TV ratings

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/cricket/big-bash/big-bash-league-overtakes-australian-open-in-tv-ratings/news-story/0e255b3b10c63ca7a2addea67766a7c6