Cricket International Series & General Chat

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watched the semi finals in a pub and to days final ,must agree shocking last over by Stokes may be Root should have bowled it .

I think the the wicket was done for bowlers ,would have thought for the final a batting wicket would have been prepared ,would have made more of an interesting game may be a few more runs . but the head groundsman from the ICC had been there for the past few days there to over see the pitch ,and that is what we got .

What a sensational final we had.

England probably 15 to 20 under par with the bat.

Then the WI struggled as well.

The turning point was probably the recall of Samuels when on 27.

In hingsight, Samuels missing the last ball of the 19th over and leaving Braithwaite on

strike was a godsend for them.

Harsh to blame Stokes or the pitch.

Just a great game of cricket.

A pity that the WI showed a lack of humility and respect at the end.

Marlon Samuels is just a tool.

Can't blame Stokes.

Maybe the pressure got to him, maybe it was Samuels sledging at the start of and during that final over, for which he's been fined 30% of his match fee.

That apart, it was a splendid game, which at half time looked to be a walkover for the West Indies. Will27 reckons England were 15 to 20 short; I'd say 30 to 40.

Whoever had the idea of giving Root the ball for the second over, and from the look on his face I don't think it was Trevor Bayliss, it was a masterstroke. A risky one, but it worked.

First Charles (1) and then Gayle (4) obviously thought "What's this part timer doing on so soon, I'm going to hit him out of the park!" They both paid for this attitude with their wickets in Root's one over; bowled Root, caught Stokes.

Kudos to Samuels for holding the West indies innings together; even though he is a pratt who should learn to keep his mouth shut.

Things may have been different if he hadn't been recalled on 27; but to be fair, the slow motion replay showed that the ball did definitely hit the ground before Buttler's gloves. Not that Buttler knew this; he obviously thought it was a clean catch.

But as my mum used to say: "If 'ifs' and 'ands' were pots and pans, there'd be no work for tinkers' hands!"

Congratulations to the West Indies; and to the West Indies women, too.

Edited by 7by7

First of well done the west Indies a truly memorable day for them.

And well done England for making a bloody good game of it when with their score it, imo, really shouldn't have been.

And what a totally amazingly dramatic way to win,, NEVER seen

such a dramatic win

Can't blame stokes, but i did look at him as he was getting ready for the final over and my thoughts were, idea be wrong here With the medics available.. But looked to me dehydtated. Or as though a month or so in India had physically taken its toll, anyone that's been will have an idea what i mean. My point any advantage at the elite level of sport can be ruthlessly exploited.

Still, all in all pleased with Englands overall performance and bodes well for their future in the limited overs game

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Excellent game just finished at Edgbaston.

Pakistan won the toss and put England in. A sound decision, it seemed, when England were all out for 297 at the end of day one.

When Azhar was caught by Cook off Woakes from the last ball of day two for 139, Pakistan were 257 for 3.

Having toiled on day two with little effect, the English bowlers came back on day 3 rejuvenated; taking the last seven Pakistani wickets for 143 runs. But at 400 all out, Pakistan still had a first innings lead of 103.

Cook and Hales had wiped out the deficit, and a little bit more, by the close. So England started day 4 ahead, just; but could they post a large enough target to give their bowlers a chance?

Yes. With contributions from all, Cook declared after just 4 overs this morning (day 5) on 445 for 6. Leaving Pakistan a virtually impossible target, given the time left in the game, of 343. The question was, could England take 10 wickets in the 84 overs remaining on a pitch which was still friendlier to batter than bowler. (Assuming they actually had time to bowl all those overs, which with modern over rates seemed unlikely!)

For most of the morning, the answer appeared to be no. But in one spell in the afternoon Finn and Woakes, with two wickets each, reduced Pakistan from 124 for 3 to 125 for 7 in just 23 balls.

A last wicket stand of 50 after tea between Sohail Khan and Rahat Ali looked like Pakistan may still be able to force a draw, but with 13.1 overs left Moeen caught and bowled Sohail to give England victory by 141 runs.

Scorecard

This is only the 6th time in their test history that England have won after being 100 or more behind after the first innings.

England now take a 2-1 lead into the fourth and final test at The Oval starting on Thursday. So the best Pakistan can hope for is to draw the series.

If England win that test, and therefore the series 3-1, and results in the Sri Lanka-Australia and West Indies-India series go their way then England could find themselves at the top of the Test rankings!

Edited by 7by7

Just to add to the excellent summary above. in all test records teams leading by 100 plus runs after the 1st innings lose only 5% of matchs, was indeed am excellent win, against a team challenging for the no 1 spot, just to give u an idea they are challenging with results gained ALL away from home resoectd

• 2 weeks later...

Australia got smashed again by Sri Lanka.

This side is the worst batting side (and the bowling apart from Stac isn't much better) I can remember. Even during the Packer days.

Warner

Marsh

Smith

Voges

Henriques

M Marsh

Nevill

Starc

Lyon

Hazlewood

Holland

• 2 weeks later...

Record breaking day yesterday in the England v Pakistan ODI at Trent Bridge.

England's 444/3 is the highest ever score in an ODI; a four from Buttler off the last ball beating Sri Lanka's 2006 score of 243/9 against The Netherlands.

England's total of 59 boundaries is the highest ever in an ODI.

16 of those were sixes, the highest number ever by England in an ODI.

Alex Hales' 171 is the highest ever ODI score by an Englishman; breaking Robin Smith's 23 year old record.

Jos Buttler's 22 ball 50 is the fastest ever by an Englishman.

Mohammad Amir's 58 is the highest score by a number 11 in ODIs. Along the way he equalled Jos Buttler in reaching 50 off only 22 balls. He also top scored in Pakistan's innings.

Third one-day international, Trent Bridge
England 444-3 (50 overs): Hales 171, Buttler 90 not out
Pakistan 275 all out (42.4 overs): Amir 58, Sarfraz 38

England won by 169 runs

• 2 months later...

South Africa by 177 runs.

Australia threw away a golden opportunity after day 1 losing 10 for 86 and never recovered.

CA advised no changes for the 2nd test but Siddle, Voges, Lyon and Mitch Marsh must/should be

under the pump to perform in Hobart next week.

Think it's going to be a painful series for Aussies.

Painful is right but possibly deserving. 

Australia for so many years has not matured nor embraced the better things about what it is to play test cricket for your country. They got away with it when winning but with the calibre of person like David Warner being a team leader with his appalling person history then offering shots like he did in the first over, i suggest it is a case of Som mnom nah.

We need better culture to reciprocally address cricket the personnel and their game.

• 3 weeks later...

Things not gong too well for England in India; two down with two to play.

India v England: Haseeb Hameed & Joe Root cannot prevent defeat as hosts take 2-0 lead

But 19 year old Haseeb Hameed appears to be a real find and a star for the future.

In his first test: 31 in the first innings, 82 in the second.

In the second test: only 13 when Root ran him out, 25 in the second, might not seem much but equal third highest score in England's abysmal 158.

Third test, only 9 in the first innings, during which his hand was broken by a ball from pace bowler Umesh Yadav. He didn't field in India's first innings, and didn't come in until number 8 in England's second. But with a broken left hand he provided excellent support for Root until Root was out and then started scoring himself to be 59 not out. Second highest score behind Root's 78.

His injury means he wont play again in this tour; but definitely one to watch for the future.

Haseeb Hameed: England opener out of India tour with hand injury

Dismal in Mumbai. Fair play to India (Koli/Ashwin were brilliant), and Eng screwed up with the bat and all those seamers, but they have such a huge advantage with these biased pitches/conditions. Can't see the point really. They might be number one at home, but are quite ordinary away.

Edited by daveAustin

India are number one in the test rankings, and playing them at home is always difficult. But the dismal performance in the field and the second innings surrender by England in Mumbai was abysmal from the team ranked second!

For those who don't know the result: India won by an innings and 36 runs

England 400 & 195: Ashwin 6-55, Root 77
India 631: Kohli 235, Vijay 136, J Yadav 104

Things not going too well in the fifth and final test in Chennai either!

England's 447 (Moeen 146, Root 88) was well short of the over 500 achievable on this pitch.

India close day three on 391-4: Rahul 199, Nair 71*.

Best England can hope for here is a draw, I think.

India v England: KL Rahul makes 199 on day three in Chennai

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, 7by7 said:

England's 447........

Sorry; typo. That should read 477.

Which is a new world record, but not one to be proud of.

The highest score made in either innings of a test match by a side who went on to lose by an innings!

England: 477 & 207, Jadeja taking 7 for 48 in the second innings.

India: 759-7 dec: Nair 303*, Rahul 199

India win by an innings and 75 runs.

There was no way England could win, but on 95 for 0 at lunch with Cook and Jennings well set the draw seemed probable.

But from 103 for 0 they went to 129 for 4.

Then Moeen and Stokes seemed to have settled in for the rest of the day, until a rush of blood to Moeen's head saw him out for 44, quickly followed by similar from Stokes (23).

Yet another England collapse saw them go from 192 for 5 when Moen was out to 207 all out.

India v England: Ravindra Jadeja takes 7-48 to seal win in Chennai

12 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Sorry; typo. That should read 477.

Which is a new world record, but not one to be proud of.

The highest score made in either innings of a test match by a side who went on to lose by an innings!

England: 477 & 207, Jadeja taking 7 for 48 in the second innings.

India: 759-7 dec: Nair 303*, Rahul 199

India win by an innings and 75 runs.

There was no way England could win, but on 95 for 0 at lunch with Cook and Jennings well set the draw seemed probable.

But from 103 for 0 they went to 129 for 4.

Then Moeen and Stokes seemed to have settled in for the rest of the day, until a rush of blood to Moeen's head saw him out for 44, quickly followed by similar from Stokes (23).

Yet another England collapse saw them go from 192 for 5 when Moen was out to 207 all out.

India v England: Ravindra Jadeja takes 7-48 to seal win in Chennai

I didn't watch the India/English series that much, but thought the Poms were pretty good under trying conditions.

They've been copping some heat though.

Here's an article from Michael Vaughn that doesn't pull any punches.

Michael Vaughan: England cricket team is soft and it must end right now

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cricket/michael-vaughan-england-cricket-team-is-soft-and-it-must-end-right-now-20161220-gtfgtq.html

"Yes, England need a quality spinner if they want to be No.1 in the world. That is not my point. My point is that too many excuses are made for this team because they are a good set of lads, great with the media and the captain is a lovely bloke".

10 hours ago, Will27 said:

I didn't watch the India/English series that much, but thought the Poms were pretty good under trying conditions.

Can't agree; including Bangladesh, on this tour England have played 7 tests, won 1, drawn 1, lost 5.

Against Bangladesh they scraped a 22 run win in the first test and lost the second by 108 runs.

Against India, they could have won the first test, but India managed to hang on for a draw. then came 4 losses, heavy losses:

With all due respect to Moeen and Rashid, England's lack of a world class spinner meant taking 20 wickets against India in India was always going to be difficult.

But it was the England batters who let the side down. Decent performance in the first test, 537 & 260-3 dec, but from then on their 1st innings scores were all below par, well below in the 2nd and 3rd tests, and they simply threw their wickets away in the second; often by playing shots which would be fine in the last over of a T20 with 20 needed to win, but stupid in a test when you are batting to save the match.

Interesting point raised by Sunil Gavaskar on TMS during the last India v England test about leg byes.

He wants them abolished.

His reasoning being that whilst a bye is due to a mistake by the fielding side, usually the wicketkeeper, leg byes are not down to any mistake by them nor any action by the batsman.

The batsman played and missed, or was attempting to get out of the way, and the ball hit and bounced off some part of his body and past the field; not because of any action or skill by the batsman but down to pure chance.

So why should the fielding side be penalised by giving runs to the batting side?

Gavaskar reckons that if the ball hits any part of the batsman body, except the hands which are counted as part of the bat if that hand is holding the bat or the batsman is judged to have handled the ball and so out, or if the batsman is judged to be out lbw, then the ball should be declared dead; as it currently is if it hits the batsman when he isn't playing a shot or attempting to evade it.

I agree with him.

Steve Waugh has made the same suggestion in the past as well.

Any thoughts?

17 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

The Big Bash has started and some good games so far.

Go the Scorchers:thumbsup:

Yes mate, a cracking game last night at the WACA.

Good to see MJ back.

Kills me to see Hoggy running around for another team though.

Whoever was responsible for letting him go should get the arse!

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

Yes mate, a cracking game last night at the WACA.

Good to see MJ back.

Kills me to see Hoggy running around for another team though.

Whoever was responsible for letting him go should get the arse!

Can Hoggy come back and replace Nathan Lyon?