Aust - KL - Bkk with Air Asia

tezzainoz

Friend has asked me for info on the change planes at KL on the Aust to Bkk Air Asia night flight arrive KL ealy Morning

I am lost as I have not done this trip since they changed to Kalia2 airport

Can some one please tell me the new routine

What Pier do you land at

and what pier do you use to fly to BKK

I would assume you stay in the main satellite Building and not go through customs

Is there still a transfer desk, and if so where is it situated

any help will be appreciated

Thanx in advance

I went through KLIA2 a couple of weeks ago, whilst I wasn't connecting flights I did notice the transfer desks and everything was within walking distance.

The only downside was that very few facilities, food and shopping, were open airside, so a long connection might be uncomfortable.

All in all a very nice terminal

I have done this trip many times, you land in KL on the tarmac and WALK about 300 meters or

so to the arrival terminal whereby on the left you have this entrance for the on going flights

to other destinations, you get checked in and scanned,

you move in to a cramped antiquated departure lounge with basic provisions, no lounges or VIp,

the duty free there is ok selection and price wise, food is mainly local food but will do if you're

not to fussy, PR system is blearing and deafening in 3 languages, and than you wait for you flight

to Bkk 2-4 hours, than you WALK to the aircraft, 200-300 meters, rain or shine,

this is no frill airline in a no frill airport...

I have done this trip many times, you land in KL on the tarmac and WALK about 300 meters or

so to the arrival terminal whereby on the left you have this entrance for the on going flights

to other destinations, you get checked in and scanned,

you move in to a cramped antiquated departure lounge with basic provisions, no lounges or VIp,

the duty free there is ok selection and price wise, food is mainly local food but will do if you're

not to fussy, PR system is blearing and deafening in 3 languages, and than you wait for you flight

to Bkk 2-4 hours, than you WALK to the aircraft, 200-300 meters, rain or shine,

this is no frill airline in a no frill airport...

wait

It sounds like you are talking about the old airport not the new one

Cattle Airways AIR ASIA moved since May to the new terminal with much better facilities. Plenty of resuarants, ... are available. But as usual when traveling with Cattle Airways you wasting time with check in and go thrue immigration. Last week it took nearly one hr for me.

Cattle Airways AIR ASIA moved since May to the new terminal with much better facilities. Plenty of resuarants, ... are available. But as usual when traveling with Cattle Airways you wasting time with check in and go thrue immigration. Last week it took nearly one hr for me.

I went through the new terminal recently, as you say a very nice terminal but I didn't think there were many restaurants airside, plenty landside, but as the OP is connecting they cannot use.

Nice that they use the air bridges now though.

On a connecting flight you have to go out of immigration and then back in again

I have never heard of this stupid idea even at the old airport

you go through transfer straight to the waiting lounge area

are you sure what you wrote is correct

Edited by tezzainoz

From the Air Asia website:

No transit visa

No immigration clearance in Malaysia and exemption of airport tax at transit hub.
Note: Applicable only for international transfers with a maximum stop-over of 6-hours in Malaysia.

I understand they're using air bridges within the one terminal, so I think the experience won't be too much different from most other airlines' connecting flights.

I'm flying Air Asia through KUL tomorrow. I printed out the boarding passes for both incoming and outgoing flights a week ago and so all I need to do at my originating airport at check-in is have my documentation verified.

I imagine I'll have to show my passport and second boarding pass in KUL, too.

If it turns out any differently, I'll post again.

Edited by dundas

If the tickets are not yet booked / paid, then another option to check is Scoot Airlines (part of the Singapore Airlines).

They fly Bkk to Sydney direct, their fares are all over the place (typical budget carrier) and it's worth checking a variety of departure / return dates to strike

some quite low fares.

I recently discovered they also have a business class option (their version of biz class, check the details), by checking various dates I struck a return fare of 22,000Baht.

In reality my need to fly to Australia changed and I didn't book the flight but I have 2 farang acquaintances who have taken Scoot, one economy class and one biz class and they were both quite impressed.

If anybody does use them please share a report on TV.

But do you still will have to walk the distance like a donkey when disembarking/embarking on arrival

and departure? or now they provide busses or better yes docking sleeves?

As I said earlier they now use air bridges, so no more buses.

All under cover now and whilst it can be a trek, depending on which gate, there are plenty of moving walkways.

It's a massive improvement from the old LCCT, in my opinion.

My experience was slightly better than what i was expecting when I posted above. I travelled on a "through-fare" KIX-KUL-CNX and my arrival flight landed as scheduled at 5.20 am, my departing flight left at 6.55 am. I got off the plane (on an air bridge directly into the terminal) and started walking, following the signs - through to the international transfer security check and an Air Asia check of my (already issued) boarding pass. I should say think I was lucky - I got off the plane fairly early, and the lines weren't long. I can imagine that it might take considerably longer in busy times. Then it was a matter of again following the signs for my flight (Area L), followed by another security check. I had time for a snack and a coffee at Gloria Jeans (not to my taste), and a change of clothes, and then went to the boarding lounge (again boarding through the air bridge). I did a lot of walking in a short time; I don't know what facilities are offered to people who might have difficulty walking.

My bag came off the plane OK in CNX, no problem. It all worked flawlessly, and the whole airport experience is better in every way than it was in the old LCC terminal.

Edited by dundas