Purchased goods orders from Thailand starting to feel effects

webfact

Purchased goods orders starting to feel effects
By Digital Content

14038437815943.jpg

BANGKOK, June 27 -- Some members of the European Union (EU) have started to slow down placing purchase orders for goods from Thailand, one week after the United States downgraded this country to Tier 3 from Tier 2 in its annual Trafficking in Persons (TIP) report, said a deputy chief of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

The EU has also decided to halt all official visits to the kingdom and suspend the signing of a cooperation accord after last month's military takeover.

Gen Chatchai Sirikalya, assistant army chief and deputy chief of NCPO supervising economic affairs, said the US downgrade of Thailand to the lowest levels, accusing Thailand of allowing human trafficking, slavery and human rights abuses in the kingdom would “slightly affect Thailand’s exports.”

Thai goods were still in demand by foreign countries, he said, adding that he was optimistic that the situation should return to normal after senior Thai officials travel to the US and the EU to explain the situation to importers from those countries and invite them to inspect operations in the kingdom.

Gen Chatchai on Thursday presided over a meeting with senior officials of the Foreign Affairs, Commerce, Labour, Agriculture and Cooperatives ministries, and industrial operators especially those in the fishery sector.

A major issue which was discussed at the meeting was on the possible negative impact after Washington downgraded Thailand.

It was agreed that high ranking officials from the Commerce, Foreign Affairs and Labour ministries should be sent to the US and the EU to explain to importers as well as inviting them to inspect the general situation in Thailand in order to restore their confidence.

Meanwhile, Somsak Praneetatyasai, president of Thai Shrimp Association, said his association wanted the public sector to speed up explaining to the US government and consumers that the Thai fishing industry neither employed illegal migrant workers nor engaged in human trafficking. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-06-27

"Meanwhile, Somsak Praneetatyasai, president of Thai Shrimp Association, said his association wanted the public sector to speed up explaining to the US government and consumers that the Thai fishing industry neither employed illegal migrant workers nor engaged in human trafficking."

Comment deleted.

• Like 2

Can anyone explain why?

If some shrimps are from Thailand. Customer in Europe/USA will buy them the same as now. So the supermarket chains will order them.

Or is there more duty, now?

and so it begins. the junta is going to get a tough lesson on Thailands standing in the world laugh.png

Ive heard many people say the success of the junta will be based on economic terms and of course they are right.

Thaskin style populiust policies + declining exports + rising consumer debt = 1997 all over again.

• Like 2

of course it's going to have serious effects on Thailand re. trade...that's why a list made up by the US has serious repercussions.

As the many posters here have said Thailand needs to know it's place in the world,that Thailand deserves it & hope there will be pain on the economy & the US & it's coalition will do it.

It's ok that the US is I believe the 3rd in the world for destinations for human trafficking, that they are tier 1 & no human trafficking problem or corruption connected there.

Or countries like Vietnam,Cambodia,Ivory Coast& others are only tier 2.

Obviously there is no connection of putting pressure on Thailand..

Thailand deserves it since they have the resources to deal with the problem...

not only that but there are brothels in Thailand...where women sell sex for money..

That would never happen in the West.

• Like 1

of course it's going to have serious effects on Thailand re. trade...that's why a list made up by the US has serious repercussions.

As the many posters here have said Thailand needs to know it's place in the world,that Thailand deserves it & hope there will be pain on the economy & the US & it's coalition will do it.

It's ok that the US is I believe the 3rd in the world for destinations for human trafficking, that they are tier 1 & no human trafficking problem or corruption connected there.

not only that but there are brothels in Thailand...where women sell sex for money..

There is absolutely no way the US is #3 in the world for human trafficking. If you have a real source, please post it. Otherwise please don't make-up crap just to try and support your lame argument.

• Like 1

There is absolutely no way the US is #3 in the world for human trafficking. If you have a real source, please post it. Otherwise please don't make-up crap just to try and support your lame argument.

http://www.unodc.org/documents/human-trafficking/HT-globalpatterns-en.pdf

North America is reported almost exclusively as a destination region and victims are reported to come from all main origin regions. The Commonwealth of Independent States, Asia, Latin America and theCaribbean are more frequently reported origin regions of victims trafficked to North America.

In the U.S., human trafficking tends to occur around international travel-hubs with large immigrant populations, notably California and Texas. The U.S. Justice Department estimates that 17,500 people are trafficked into the country every year, but the true figure could be higher, because of the large numbers of undocumented immigrants. Those being trafficked include young children, teenagers, men and women and can be domestic citizens or foreign nationals.
The highest destination countries are Belgium, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Thailand, Turkey, USA.
Edited by iphad

I remember that many decades ago, our college (as consumers) boycotted agricultural produce from Chile when the Generals took over.

H#ll, if I were 20 again with long hair and living in my home country, I would boycott Thai products too.

• Like 2

North America is reported almost exclusively as a destination region and victims are reported to come from all main origin regions. The Commonwealth of Independent States, Asia, Latin America and theCaribbean are more frequently reported origin regions of victims trafficked to North America.

In the U.S., human trafficking tends to occur around international travel-hubs with large immigrant populations, notably California and Texas. The U.S. Justice Department estimates that 17,500 people are trafficked into the country every year, but the true figure could be higher, because of the large numbers of undocumented immigrants. Those being trafficked include young children, teenagers, men and women and can be domestic citizens or foreign nationals.
The highest destination countries are Belgium, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Thailand, Turkey, USA.

One more here http://www.polarisproject.org/human-trafficking/sex-trafficking-in-the-us

Thanks for the link. However, I do not see anywhere where it states the US is #3 in the world for human trafficking.

Also, another substantial element is how much effort a country puts into preventing trafficking. Even the agencies in the US who are in charge of preventing it admit no government body had the ability to completely eliminate this.

The TIF report that is released by the US does not address the numbers of people but rather the effort a country puts into preventing the trafficking.

If you can show some actual statistics that the US is #3 in the world for human trafficking, I would be interested in seeing it.

Edited by kleelof

I remember that many decades ago, our college (as consumers) boycotted agricultural produce from Chile when the Generals took over.

H#ll, if I were 20 again with long hair and living in my home country, I would boycott Thai products too.

I'll let someone else say who supported the coup in Chile overthrowing the democratically elected president Salvador Allende whistling.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for the link. However, I do not see anywhere where it states the US is #2 in the world for human trafficking.

Also, another substantial element is how much effort a country puts into preventing trafficking. Even the agencies in the US who are in charge of preventing it admit no government body had the ability to completely eliminate this.

The TIF report that is released by the US does not address the numbers of people but rather the effort a country puts into preventing the trafficking.

If you can show some actual statistics that the US is #2 in the world for human trafficking, I would be interested in seeing it.

Actually I said the US was #3 in the destinations list and I used "I believe"...so at the moment I can't find the link that I read...but it is in the top list for highest destinations & the list is alphabetical..so it's still up there. But considering it is well known that illegal aliens are entering the US everyday..I would guess to say many are being trafficked.

The argument could also be made that Thailand has less resources than the US.

The point is that it is the US that makes the list that can be damaging to the trade of a country....for ie..I have stated before the Ivory Coast actually uses child slaves for the growing of cocoa for chocolate..but they are tier 2.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It is true that there are human trafficking in the US. These illegal immigrants including Thais work in the US without proper documents. At least they are not treated like slaves. Some states even provide free schooling and college grants and scholarships to their children. If the employers were caught, their businesses can be closed and face severe fines. The humanity is at a different level so don't compare US with Thailand.

The humanity is at a different level so don't compare US with Thailand.? so the term used is slaves...is that you mean a slave? or treated like a slave for a few months then free to go?..or a slave slave?

Human trafficking is human trafficking..you trying to say sex trafficking in the US is more humane than sex trafficking in Thailand?

Ok I won't compare the conditions in Thailand with the conditions in the US..

You are correct..there is no comparison ..& the US would know...

They made the list.

Thanks for the link. However, I do not see anywhere where it states the US is #2 in the world for human trafficking.

If you can show some actual statistics that the US is #2 in the world for human trafficking, I would be interested in seeing it.

Actually I said the US was #3 in the destinations list and I used "I believe"...so at the moment I can't find the link that I read...but it is in the top list for highest destinations & the list is alphabetical..so it's still up there. But considering it is well known that illegal aliens are entering the US everyday..I would guess to say many are being trafficked.

The point is that it is the US that makes the list that can be damaging to the trade of a country....for ie..I have stated before the Ivory Coast actually uses child slaves for the growing of cocoa for chocolate..but they are tier 2.

Yes, sorry for misquoting you. I realized after posting you said #3, not #2. I thought I changed it before it would be read.

Yes, I'm certain the US is a top destination of human trafficking. But that is because of the opportunities there, NOT because the US supports human trafficking. And this makes all the difference in the world.

I would agree about the resources issue between Thailand and The US and, although I am familiar with the I.C. chocolate industry, I am not familiar with the steps they take to prevent human trafficking. But, of course, neither of these have to do really with my original query about listing the US as #3 in human trafficking.

Yes. This list can be damaging. But, as is the case in most Western countries, there are many Americans who want to know that the products they buy do not come from exploitation. The TIF report is just that. It is meant to let Americans, and not doubt people from other Western countries, know that products they are buying from a specific country have a good chance of being produced through slave labor.

In order to call a country #3 in human trafficking, you would have to show that the country is doing little or nothing to prevent it. This certainly is not the case with the US. It would be very easy from the first link you gave to show plenty of countries who fit this description before the US does.

Yes, sorry for misquoting you. I realized after posting you said #3, not #2. I thought I changed it before it would be read.

Yes, I'm certain the US is a top destination of human trafficking. But that is because of the opportunities there, NOT because the US supports human trafficking. And this makes all the difference in the world.

I would agree about the resources issue between Thailand and The US and, although I am familiar with the I.C. chocolate industry, I am not familiar with the steps they take to prevent human trafficking. But, of course, neither of these have to do really with my original query about listing the US as #3 in human trafficking.

Yes. This list can be damaging. But, as is the case in most Western countries, there are many Americans who want to know that the products they buy do not come from exploitation. The TIF report is just that. It is meant to let Americans, and not doubt people from other Western countries, know that products they are buying from a specific country have a good chance of being produced through slave labor.

In order to call a country #3 in human trafficking, you would have to show that the country is doing little or nothing to prevent it. This certainly is not the case with the US. It would be very easy from the first link you gave to show plenty of countries who fit this description before the US does.

Maybe my sentence structure wasn't very good..I was trying to say for Destinations...the US is ranked up there ( I did say #3 ) obviously the US is a choice place to go.

But then Thailand is a choice place to go from the surrounding countries..and with a low unemployment rate ... & same as most Americans they don't want to do the real horrible work..hence the large percentage of latinos working the fields,orchards & other work in the US.

There are murders & rapes at the Mexican border...probably by some border guards..as there are probably by Thai police. But who has facts on that?

The west buys chocolate..it's mostly produced by child slaves..yes slaves...not held for awhile & let go.But people continue to buy chocolate..made by big corporations..or the other corporations using questionable labor to make running shoes.

To me human trafficking in the US is much the same as human trafficking in Thailand..or like the war on drugs..it's difficult to stop.

Can Thailand do more?..yes..can the US do more? ..yes yet some people think that the US can't have human trafficking..or if they did..they coming to a better place than their home country...same for Thailand..it's a better place.

To say that there are slaves working in Thailand on the fishboats...does that mean they are actually slaves?..or are they treated like sh*t,abused then set free when the boat gets back to port?

or is someone trying to paint a bad picture that Thailand supports using slaves?

Maybe my sentence structure wasn't very good..I was trying to say for Destinations...the US is ranked up there ( I did say #3 ) obviously the US is a choice place to go.

But then Thailand is a choice place to go from the surrounding countries..and with a low unemployment rate ... & same as most Americans they don't want to do the real horrible work..hence the large percentage of latinos working the fields,orchards & other work in the US.

There are murders & rapes at the Mexican border...probably by some border guards..as there are probably by Thai police. But who has facts on that?

The west buys chocolate..it's mostly produced by child slaves..yes slaves...not held for awhile & let go.But people continue to buy chocolate..made by big corporations..or the other corporations using questionable labor to make running shoes.

To me human trafficking in the US is much the same as human trafficking in Thailand..or like the war on drugs..it's difficult to stop.

Can Thailand do more?..yes..can the US do more? ..yes yet some people think that the US can't have human trafficking..or if they did..they coming to a better place than their home country...same for Thailand..it's a better place.

To say that there are slaves working in Thailand on the fishboats...does that mean they are actually slaves?..or are they treated like sh*t,abused then set free when the boat gets back to port?

or is someone trying to paint a bad picture that Thailand supports using slaves?

It is a fact that there are slaves working on a lot of the boats here. It was reported by Thai media in the past and acknowledged by the current government after the last TIP report was released.

I'm not sure anyone is trying to paint a picture that Thailand supports using slaves any more than I'm not certain yet if there are people trying to paint the US as a tyrant trying to control Thailand.

Other than your statement that you 'believe' the US is #3 in human trafficking, I'm not sure there is really anything here we disagree on.

Right now it is an unfortunate time for Thailand and for Americans who live here. Many, like myself, love Thailand and want to see the Thai people living free and happy lives. At the same time, we have to hear lies about our country based on misinformation or lack of information being spread like a virus among our Thai friends and family. For me, I feel almost like a child whose mother and father are having a fallout that could have lasting detrimental effects. I cannot completely agree or disagree with either side and, in the end, I feel I could be forced to choose between the two. And this would be a horrible situation to be in.

Can anyone explain why?

If some shrimps are from Thailand. Customer in Europe/USA will buy them the same as now. So the supermarket chains will order them.

Because, In The USA and EU, there are many-many people who don't like to know the things they buy come from slave labor. Companies know now that if they buy things from countries that promote slave labor, then the people who buy their products may protest and stop buying from them.

This lack of understanding is probably why the people in charge in Thailand now seem to think there will be no effects from the TIP reports, because they don't realize, that unlike most Thai people, people in the EU and USA DO care about things like slavery and child sex exploitation.

Sometimes I wonder what planet some people are on. The majority of U.S corporation uses both child and slave labour in Asia to maximize their profits. Even famous brands like NIKE. I think you need to get off your high horse and accept that Americans are as bad as anyone else. At least 100,000 children a year is trafficked across the USA. Hell of a lot of trafficking buddy.

Sex trafficking in the USA hits close to home
USATODAY 1:36 p.m. EDT September 27, 2012
A plague more commonly associated with other countries has been taking young victims in the United States, one by one.

WASHINGTON -- Asia Graves looks straight ahead as she calmly recalls the night a man paid $200 on a Boston street to have sex with her.

She was 16, homeless, and desperate for food, shelter and stability. He was the first of dozens of men who would buy her thin cashew-colored body from a human trafficker who exploited her vulnerabilities and made her a prisoner for years.

"If we didn't call him daddy, he would slap us, beat us, choke us," said Graves, 24, of the man who organized the deals. "It's about love and thinking you're part of a family and a team. I couldn't leave because I thought he would kill me."

By day, she was a school girl who saw her family occasionally. At night, she became a slave to men who said they loved her and convinced her to trade her beauty for quick cash that they pocketed. Sold from Boston to Miami and back, Graves was one of thousands of young girls sexually exploited across the United States, often in plain sight.

A plague more commonly associated with other countries has been taking young victims in the United States, one by one. Though the scope of the problem remains uncertain -- no national statistics for the number of U.S. victims exist -- the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children says at least 100,000 children across the country are trafficked each year.

I'm not really sure how you gathered from my statements that I was on a 'high horse' or had taken any other superior attitude. And it is awfully presumptuous to assume I don't know about these things you are talking about.

Perhaps you could go back and actually read the statements I made and you will see I made no denials of or excuses for these things it The US.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Has Thailand looked into the amount of children being trafficked across the boarder of Texas, and Mexico. Thousands of children are being trafficked daily. alt=cowboy.gif>

??? are you sure they are being trafficked??? or are they escaping Mexico and other south american countries....

He obviously has no idea of what is going on there. Probably gets some sort of underground conspiracy based news paper.

There are people being paid money to get them across the border then they are on their own. Many know some one there.

the US government has backed them selves into a corner with all the dribble about democracy they can not very well back the junta even though it is bettering conditions here in Thailand. That says a lot about there aims. Obviously not peoples welfare. There decision to lower the rating was based on years of ignoring their warning. Now that there is a government who may take care of the situation and not justify it they can not back down. No matter how good things get here in Thailand before they return it to an elected government.

Remember when Palestine had an elected government and they refused to recognize it. They are still trying to rule the world. The big difference being they are not charging in unprepared to unwinnable wars. Milatary wise they are starting to back down.

Can anyone explain why?

Because, In The USA and EU, there are many-many people who don't like to know the things they buy come from slave labor. Companies know now that if they buy things from countries that promote slave labor, then the people who buy their products may protest and stop buying from them.

This lack of understanding is probably why the people in charge in Thailand now seem to think there will be no effects from the TIP reports, because they don't realize, that unlike most Thai people, people in the EU and USA DO care about things like slavery and child sex exploitation.

Sometimes I wonder what planet some people are on. The majority of U.S corporation uses both child and slave labour in Asia to maximize their profits. Even famous brands like NIKE. I think you need to get off your high horse and accept that Americans are as bad as anyone else. At least 100,000 children a year is trafficked across the USA. Hell of a lot of trafficking buddy.

Sex trafficking in the USA hits close to home
USATODAY 1:36 p.m. EDT September 27, 2012
A plague more commonly associated with other countries has been taking young victims in the United States, one by one.

WASHINGTON -- Asia Graves looks straight ahead as she calmly recalls the night a man paid $200 on a Boston street to have sex with her.

She was 16, homeless, and desperate for food, shelter and stability. He was the first of dozens of men who would buy her thin cashew-colored body from a human trafficker who exploited her vulnerabilities and made her a prisoner for years.

"If we didn't call him daddy, he would slap us, beat us, choke us," said Graves, 24, of the man who organized the deals. "It's about love and thinking you're part of a family and a team. I couldn't leave because I thought he would kill me."

By day, she was a school girl who saw her family occasionally. At night, she became a slave to men who said they loved her and convinced her to trade her beauty for quick cash that they pocketed. Sold from Boston to Miami and back, Graves was one of thousands of young girls sexually exploited across the United States, often in plain sight.

A plague more commonly associated with other countries has been taking young victims in the United States, one by one. Though the scope of the problem remains uncertain -- no national statistics for the number of U.S. victims exist -- the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children says at least 100,000 children across the country are trafficked each year.

Yes it is happening in The United States and Canada. I knew a fellow who flat out said he had been involved with white slavery in Canada. His words not mine. Said nothing about sex. All though I would think it was also involved.

At any rate 100,000 in the states a country of 300 million is peanuts compared to what is going on here in Thailand a country of 66 million

Slow down ordering luxury goods such as: Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Rolex, Omega, YSL, wines, Mercedes, Volvo, etc. These goods - you can't eat them anyway. Ship all the illegal migrants to EU so they can provide them shelter and social benefits.

Children of 15 and 16 years old are so precious in that part of the world that they are not supposed to work but they sure hell can make babies and get state support. You can't even scold at them for misbehavior without possibly getting into trouble with the law. Yeah, they are saints!