Thai MSDHS to address beggar issues

webfact

MSDHS to address beggar issues

BANGKOK, 30 June 2014, (NNT) - The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security (MSDHS) has said it will address the ongoing problem of beggars currently roaming streets throughout the kingdom.

In her announcement, Yanee Lertkrai, the Director-General of the Department of Social Development and Welfare, her agency has discovered that most of small children being forced to beg on the streets are the victims of Cambodia’s human trafficking rings.

According to her, beggars consist of both Thais and foreigners, adding that they are either doing it voluntarily or being forced into doing it against their will. Over 90% of the young beggars are Cambodian under 10 years of age; some are infants.

The ministry has coordinated with related agencies to address the beggar issue, following an agreement with Cambodia to deport Cambodian beggars back to their motherland. Ms. Yanee said appropriate assistance would be provided to both human trafficking victim beggars and those who voluntarily choose to beg.

She asked the public not to give anything to beggars, as the act is tantamount to giving support to human trafficking rings, while urging residents to inform the human trafficking hotline 1300 around the clock, if they witness small children being forced into begging.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-30 footer_n.gif

Over the years it has got worse they are now on most intersections and over passes and sky train stations. You never see the police or the people in uniform that suppose to control people with stalls and throwing down a cigarette do anything.

I also tell people not to donate their money to them.

I give to seriously handicapped people and oldies. Kids - no.

Yes, they could be operated by a gang, but probably not all of them.

Handicaps and old people do not have that many options if they are poor and there's no supporting family.

Kids are more likely to have a caretaker (as in "boss") or a parent running the show. Not usually up to

supporting these kind of choices, a lot of the moms in mom+kid beggar combos look like they could take on

a job if they were up to it.

Another "bad" side of Thailand......pickups dropping the deformed and disabled in the mornings, to beg for these gangs is insideous and sad.......and the watchers are everywhere ensuring these poor people beg!

My thai wife has said that young and old are delivered daily to places to beg and must give most of the money collected to the group that controls and cares for them. Not gangs per say but group that care for them. She says show no sympathy for them by giving money because they are deliberate in looking dirty and helpless and they keep almost none of that money. I am inclined to believe her after i saw a van full if hapless people inside it as one got out to work that area for begging.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Interesting she says "Cambodia's human trafficking rings" ... Of course, it wouldn't be a Thai trafficking ring problem would it? The whole wording, if translated correctly, tends to further avoidance that Thailand has a problem in this area. bah.gif

That's exactly what came to my mind too! Thais aren't involved, resp. running the show as we can see in the agro, fish, prosti, etc industry <satire end>

My thai wife has said that young and old are delivered daily to places to beg and must give most of the money collected to the group that controls and cares for them. Not gangs per say but group that care for them. She says show no sympathy for them by giving money because they are deliberate in looking dirty and helpless and they keep almost none of that money. I am inclined to believe her after i saw a van full if hapless people inside it as one got out to work that area for begging.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What I do find quite amusing, but indeed very misleading and sad, was that one day a blind man was walking towards me singing, with his amplifier in one hand and the microphone in the other. I stood and stopped 5m infront of him to listen ( was actually trying to hear if he was really singing or not). As he neared, he ventured left, and continued in a straight line past my right, and I hadn't even breathed, plus his music was blasting. It kind of indicated to me that he could clearly see through those dark glasses: either that or he had a 24th sense. A corrupt beggar... wonders never cease!

According to her, beggars consist of both Thais and foreigners, adding that they are either doing it voluntarily or being forced into doing it against their will.

Yes, that about covers it...whistling.gif

(she added that during the daytime it is usually light, while at night it gets darker)

Edited by klauskunkel