Safest border for a tourist visa run?

After the crackdown, what's the safest border for a tourist visa run? I'm an American with a triple entry tourist visa, only the first entry used. Location is Bangkok, and my preference is a short van ride but I'm also willing to fly out to another country if it's too unsafe to drive to the close by places.

Since you have a visa, no crackdown whatsoever applies to you. You can use your 2nd and 3rd visa entry at any land, air or sea border, there is no difference. What you do is not a visa run, just a border hop.

On the other hand, in Thailand being carried in a minibus is, statistically, not as safe as in most other countries. It is also not comfortable. In that case you could prefer to fly and visit another country and city for a day or two.

• Like 1

Every where is safe, you are not in a war zone, why not jump on the train and head for nong khai and enjoy the countryside views on the way up.

• Like 1

@nev technically you are right except for the far south near the Malay border. To most people that is a bit of a war zone but I digress. The op is clearly looking for a border crossing where less scrutiny will be applied. I'd say any less busy border should do the trick so think Ban Pakkard not Aranyaprathet or Tha Li not Nong Khai. However all borders are supposed to be applying the same scrutiny so one's visa situation will be far more important. In the ops case he should be fine.

Any border (which is convenient) for you should be oke, as stated you have a valid visa and should be oke.

PS: why don't you go to your Local Immigration office and get a 30 day extension on your Tourist visa, it only cost 1900 Thb.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Any border (which is convenient) for you should be oke, as stated you have a valid visa and should be oke.

PS: why don't you go to your Local Immigration office and get a 30 day extension on your Tourist visa, it only cost 1900 Thb.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Yes I have already done this and am approaching day 90, thank you for mentioning it though.

• Like 2

Every where is safe, you are not in a war zone, why not jump on the train and head for nong khai and enjoy the countryside views on the way up.

Alternatively, why not jump on the train and head for Malaysia and enjoy the countryside views on the way down.

Book at least a week ahead, or you may not get a seat. Departures daily at 14:15 from Hua Lamphong, and arrives in Butterworth the next day at about 1 pm.

You can change a little money on the train at very fair rates. You only need some to get over to Penang on the ferry 1.40 Ringet ( = THB 14:00 ) There is a free bus to Komtar shopping centre and bus terminal. There you will find banks for withdrawal for any money you need.

Buses in Penang charge 1:40 for most inner city trips, and if you don't want to wait for the free bus, the ferry port is actually at the bus terminal, named "Ferry". Many buses go through Komtar.

Be warned, they don't give change, so it pays to always keep a few coins and 1 Ringet notes in the pocket.

... anyway .. North or South, .. safe journey!

Since you have a visa, no crackdown whatsoever applies to you. You can use your 2nd and 3rd visa entry at any land, air or sea border, there is no difference. What you do is not a visa run, just a border hop.

On the other hand, in Thailand being carried in a minibus is, statistically, not as safe as in most other countries. It is also not comfortable. In that case you could prefer to fly and visit another country and city for a day or two.

I decided to fly into kuala lumpur and stay two nights. The flight was just over 3000 baht from CM round trip. Many say walking across and back is still viable.... I am taking no chances. This is my second entry on double entry tourist visa.

I decided to fly into kuala lumpur and stay two nights. The flight was just over 3000 baht from CM round trip. Many say walking across and back is still viable.... I am taking no chances. This is my second entry on double entry tourist visa.

When you have a visa, it's not a matter of chances. Only people using visa exemption may have trouble.