Anybody Proofread this FishWrap ?

Gonzo the Face

This is a disgrace.

Does anyone proofread The Nation articles before they go to final print? If so they read in their sleep.

From today's Nation on line article about the politician who jumped from the Rama IX Bridge in Bkk.

" On Friday, Pan was home alone and drove off without anyone knowing where he was heading, he said, adding the family still hoped Pan was not safe."

This would be insulting to me if I were a family member.

I know its just a small thing, but they do similar almost daily and I don't read every word in the entire paper. For heavens sake , Kn Soothichai, have someone do better work. It reflects badly on the paper I like to read.

Spell check only I would guess.....actual editing very little if any......

As English is not the 1st language for them I usually get a chuckle reading the sentence and structure trying to deciminate to get the meaning.....usually somewhere along the story line I think I get it sorted.....with cutural thinking/differences, (their's versus ours), it makes it all the more entertaining.....sometimes they really over express themselves trying to stress/make a point in dramatic - typically Thai fashion....I quite enjoy it most of the time - adds to the spice and flavor

Actually, I find myself doing that with a lot of TVF posters too.....

If I ever find I completely and totally understand I'm not sure whether I'd be more happy for them - or more worried about me........rolleyes.gif

Having one in the house sometimes helps understand the broken cadence sentence structure......

Many speaking second languages learned later (not bilingual being raised) tend know the second language words but keep the structure of their native tongue.....

Over the years enjoyed many natives tongues....thumbsup.giftongue.pngclap2.gif

Edited by pgrahmm

As English is not the 1st language for them I usually get a chuckle reading the sentence and structure trying to deciminate to get the meaning.....usually somewhere along the story line I think I get it sorted.....with cutural thinking/differences, (their's versus ours), it makes it all the more entertaining.....sometimes they really over express themselves trying to stress/make a point in dramatic - typically Thai fashion....I quite enjoy it most of the time - adds to the spice and flavor

If I ever find I completely and totally understand I'm not sure whether I'd be more happy for them - or more worried about me........rolleyes.gif

Having one in the house sometimes helps understand the broken cadence sentence structure......

Many speaking second languages learned later (not bilingual being raised) tend know the second language words but keep the structure of their native tongue.....

Please translate this into English. I have no idea what you're trying to say. But you meant to do this, right?

Please translate this into English. I have no idea what you're trying to say. But you meant to do this, right?

Please translate ?....... The poster is talking b o l l o x

Well I thought I put it simply....on phone now... basically....as English is relatively new the Thai's tend to apply Thai semantics and cultural tendencies into their application of written English...things that make sense to them simply don't make sense to us and proof reading would not neccessarily change that...normal editing our style makes it easy for us to see but they wouldn't...in the example by the OP an edit would catch but I am guessing they are happy only to spell check..

Well I thought I put it simply....on phone now... basically....as English is relatively new the Thai's tend to apply Thai semantics and cultural tendencies into their application of written English...things that make sense to them simply don't make sense to us and proof reading would not neccessarily change that...normal editing our style makes it easy for us to see but they wouldn't...in the example by the OP an edit would catch but I am guessing they are happy only to spell check..

Accepting what you say as being true, then why in heavens sake are they are publishing and English language daily, and does it take an Einstein to think, maybe I should hire one or more 'English as a 1st language', persons, to keep from face loss embarrassment.

In the quote from the OP, it totally reverses the meaning of the sentence. That cannot be the desired effect. If so then how do readers place any trust on what the paper writes...... it could be pure fiction.