What brand helmet

Preferred helmet manufacturer  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just wondering what brand helmet everyone likes. I've always worn AGV since I was a kid, don't think I'll ever change because they're a good fit for my head shape.

Edited by JohnPark

I find the Real's to be of good construction and affordable. Are both DOT and TIS certified (at least has the logos) so that makes me at least feel safer about them. Back home I wore SHOIE's. Arai's are too damned expensive.

There was some recent testing that showed affordable helmets fared better in crash tests than expensive ones. It's online somewhere.

Interesting to note that non-TIS (The Industrial Standard) helmets (Snell, ECE, DOT) are not legal in Thailand.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=6065&topic=6065#6065

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/What-Everybody-Should-Know-About-Helmets

Edited by NomadJoe

I find the Real's to be of good construction and affordable. Are both DOT and TIS certified (at least has the logos) so that makes me at least feel safer about them. Back home I wore SHOIE's.

Interesting to note that non-TIS (The Industrial Standard) helmets (Snell, ECE, DOT) are not legal in Thailand.

Yep, all the expensive helmets (e.g. on the PandaRider website) are sold "for racing only". Guess this doesnt include racing on public streets laugh.png

Agree with you, the Real helmets are very good quality for the price. Imo Real does a good job offering "real helmets" for a price even most Thais can afford (if they want).

I've only tried 2 manufacturers; HJC and Icon. HJC has some fantastic value but has a really round shape. Unfortunately my head is oval so there's lots of room on the side. Icon fits me the way it's supposed to...but runs a bit tight in the cheek pads for my cherubic cute cheeks. Luckily they offer differently sized pads that got me feeling good.

I've only been wearing Shoei since I started riding- I do like the AGV Pista, though.wink.png

It's the Corsa I have same shape as the Pista just not full CF.

Here it is modeled by my future biker

14dpsf7.jpg

Edited by JohnPark

Never tried a Shoei, my heads wide at the back and narrower at the front and it's a good fit (even pressure all around) maybe a little tight on my cheeks but don't think that's a bad thing.

Think the Corsa is a better bet for the road as the Pista air vents are removable plastic/rubber inserts and the Corsa has the more conventional sliders. Knowing me I'd lose the inserts.

The corsa still has the locking 2 position shield and the shield I find handy because it comes down with a nod of the head or when my speed gets up a bit.

I've only been wearing Shoei since I started riding- I do like the AGV Pista, though.wink.png

I tried the Pista and the build quality IMO is not as good as an X12 and the fit is very different, more for a narrower head shape. It is better ventilated though and you can throw away the rubber plugs for the vents, you'll never need them in Thailand. Much noisier than an X12 but that's down to the vents. The X12 will fog slightly if you use the chin curtain, but I like it's quietness. The design of the Pista may sway you.

I've worn an X12 and I can't believe it's possible to make a noisier helmet- it's completely track-oriented and noise wasn't a factor as Shoei assumes earplugs will be used, and that it will be on the rider for only an hour or so at a time- it's got great airflow, though.

IMHO, there's no better street helmet than the GT-Air, and no better all-around helmet than the RF-1100 (which is probably surpassed by the 1200, though I haven't tried one yet)- for a race helmet, the X12 is fantastic, but I like the look of the Pista (which isn't a great reason to choose a helmet, but it interests me;)).

I've worn an X12 and I can't believe it's possible to make a noisier helmet- it's completely track-oriented and noise wasn't a factor as Shoei assumes earplugs will be used, and that it will be on the rider for only an hour or so at a time- it's got great airflow, though.

IMHO, there's no better street helmet than the GT-Air, and no better all-around helmet than the RF-1100 (which is probably surpassed by the 1200, though I haven't tried one yet)- for a race helmet, the X12 is fantastic, but I like the look of the Pista (which isn't a great reason to choose a helmet, but it interests me;)).

I'm the opposite. I find the X12 lovely and quiet and fits like a glove. You will need earplugs with a Pista for sure if you think the X12 is loud. I like the look of the Pista too, maybe the best looker out there but after a long relationship with the Bell Star Carbon. Which is an excellent helmet I'm sold on the X12.

I need to try on the Pista- they have it at the Kamix Shop, but I'm not sure when I'll be in the neighborhood.

If I get it, that will make three helmets, all with somewhat different focuses- I'm just not sure how I'd like anything other than Shoei after wearing them for 20+ years- they've probably deformed my skull over time to where they guarantee me a perfect fit.;)

^ Bell RS-1 rumoured to be good, if it fits your head type. Has photo-chromatic face shield as an option. Don't know where from though.

The Bell RS-1 is the cheaper version of the Bell Star. Dirt Bike Shop BKK is the importer or you can order from Sport Bike Track Gear in the States.

The Polaroid shield is also available for the Shoei now too.

I have an Arai shaped head - so stuck with them for years ..... but now trying an HTC IS-Multi as the ventilation and visibility are better and it can convert to open face from a 'moto' style. The peak and internal sun visor are also handy features It also costs less than Arai - and as helmets don't seem to last long in the heat I'd thought I'd give a lower cost one a try. It's still ECE approved and the same model is available in UK.

I have an Arai shaped head - so stuck with them for years ..... but now trying an HTC IS-Multi as the ventilation and visibility are better and it can convert to open face from a 'moto' style. The peak and internal sun visor are also handy features It also costs less than Arai - and as helmets don't seem to last long in the heat I'd thought I'd give a lower cost one a try. It's still ECE approved and the same model is available in UK.

Sorry - make that an 'HJC" Multi. HTC too flat for my head!

I find the Real's to be of good construction and affordable. Are both DOT and TIS certified (at least has the logos) so that makes me at least feel safer about them. Back home I wore SHOIE's.

Yep, all the expensive helmets (e.g. on the PandaRider website) are sold "for racing only". Guess this doesnt include racing on public streets laugh.png

Agree with you, the Real helmets are very good quality for the price. Imo Real does a good job offering "real helmets" for a price even most Thais can afford (if they want).

Racing helmets need a Spark rating I understand. It's a gold sticker and racing helmets have thicker visors etc. and are about 20% lighter because racers will only use the same helmet a few times and it's not going to subject to everyday abuse. TIS????? Snell are a non-profit organization so I trust Snell the most.

Wore AGV for decades & recently switched to Scorpion's Exo R2000

Never going back

This helmet is batting so far above its price range it is amazing.

Not available in Thailand though so I imported it

17 riders in MotoGP now use this helmet & yes I realize sponsorship

is sponsorship but...at GP level the riders have choices from all brands

usually offered

There is no option "none". Do i need to prefer one? smile.png

Then don't take part in the poll. Jeez, there are some argumentative posters out there.

There is a none option but no one has used it yet. Can we have a skull option?

There is no option "none". Do i need to prefer one? smile.png

Then don't take part in the poll. Jeez, there are some argumentative posters out there.

Too late, i already voted for "no preference". But thanks for your valuable tip biggrin.png