Buying a new car- documents

Hi there

Once I have chosen a new car where I intend to pay deposit and get finance.... Do I have to pay any car tax or prepare any documents to the driving licence organisation. 

I have no idea whats involved or what I have to do once I have decided on a car. I have a 1 yr thai DL

Thanks for any advice.

When I bought mine the first year's tax, compulsory insurance and number plates etc were covered by a fixed fee of a few thousand Baht that was added to the purchase cost. The optional premium insurance was free, but came from the manufacturer. The dealer took care of all the paperwork (which took months) for no extra charge.

I did have to provide a residence certificate from my local immigration office, along with copies of my passport of course. The (unofficial) price of this certificate varies from free to 500B depending on where you live. I paid 200B. Some immigration offices wont issue one at all, apparently, and in that case you may need to see your consulate for one. The price of this can be very high: about 2500B from the UK for example.

Technically your local town hall can also issue this certificate but this doesnt seem to be widely known or always possible. Certificates are only valid for a few weeks so make sure that the dealer gets a move on with processing the paperwork or the certificate may be refused by the licensing office for being too old by the time he gets round to it. Mine was refused for exactly this reason and I kicked up a huge stink to get the dealer to pay the extra 200B for a replacement.

There are many discussions about residence certificates on here but probably best to look in the sub-forum of the area in which you live for local info.

• Like 1

You need to provide a resident certificate either from immigration or your embassy or alternatively a house book (tabien baan) if you have it . Do not accept to pay for insurance for the first year. This should always be included. If one dealer refuses just go to another one. I have bought about 8 new cars in Thailand and have never paid for insurance, red plates, etc.

Edited by Dellie

Copy of passport including visa and a resident's certificate are all that is required. If you have a work permit the resident's certificate is not necessary. I purchased a new car a couple of month's or so ago and the first year's insurance, road tax and window film were thrown in. You will have to pay THB 2 or 3k deposit for the red plate and you will get this back when the white plate is issued. I have been waiting two and a half months and am still waiting for the white plate.

thanks for the replies. Are you saying that I dont need to be registered on a house book to get a car with finance? If I have a WP is this ok?

If you have a WP then you can buy a car on finance yes. You don't need to be registered in a house book.

thanks for the replies. Are you saying that I dont need to be registered on a house book to get a car with finance? If I have a WP is this ok?

Yeap... And ur passport copies , driving license & WP should do it

If you have a work permit the resident's certificate is not necessary.

Does it mean they use your employers address in the cars reg book (since your residential address isn't in the work permit book) or will they accept any address you give them ?

Also, how easy a process is it to change your registered address in the cars reg book ?

Thanks.

If you have a work permit the resident's certificate is not necessary.

Does it mean they use your employers address in the cars reg book (since your residential address isn't in the work permit book) or will they accept any address you give them ?

Also, how easy a process is it to change your registered address in the cars reg book ?

Thanks.

You most likely have the answer already but in my case they asked if my mail would get to my employers address the address in the work permit, I said yes and didn't change it but as they asked it seems to fairly easy to change it is probably best to do so when you sign all the documents.  

• 3 weeks later...

Are you sure that a certificate of residence issued by embassy which is 2 months old won't be accepted ?

They would not accept my certificate from immigration that was 2 months old. They wanted one under 1 month old. I don't see why a certificate from a consulate should be any different, but of course being Thailand it may all depend on which way the wind is blowing on the day you apply.
  • Like 1

Thank you, and can you confirm that we really don't need a TABIAN BAAN ? The document saying that you own a condo or house ?

Only residence certificate, passport and license ?

I have never had a Tabian Baan. I did buy a new pickup and it is registered in my name at my address (as shown on the residence certificate). A driving licence is not required for registration either.

Just to give my first hand experience.
Bought a car from honda just recently: was informed that my work permit , Thai driving licence , utility bill and passport would be sufficient. Checked thaivisa first and other sites to see if I still needed a residency letter and all sources said that I didn't. Also saw a post from a law firm in hua hin saying the same.
Got the car with no issues and then within a few weeks I got a call saying it can't be registered in my name coz I didn't have the residency letter even though I had the work permit etc. complained and I thought it was settled. Next week I get the book for the car in my name but in the address of the company and not my house... Went to immigration and got an official document ish type slip stapled in my passport with my full address and that I'm a resident here, honda told me this was ok. 2 weeks later I get a call and they tell me that it can't be used. So last week I had to go to the embassy and the letter of residency comes with a big kick in the balls as the fee is 3,080thb and took less than 20 minutes in line and 2 mins to prepare this letter which I actually filled out and they signed/stamped. Sent it to honda so let's see what they say this time!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

This is that specific Honda dealer screwing up.

Oh, and you really don't need utility bill and driving license to buy a car, but you may use the utility bill to obtain a residence certificate.

BTW: who cares about the address in the blue book, I would have left it as it was.

Edited by stevenl

It has been a total nightmare. I've still not received the confirmation yet so I just hope that they don't find some other issue. As for the registered address, I wasn't comfortable having it in anything but my own address, especially when forking out x amount on a new car, I'd just rather everything in order. I just wanted to give my first hand experience with regards to buying a new car as I'm unsure if it's a new policy that they have to stick by or not, regarding this letter. 3,080thb has really p*ssed me off.

It has been a total nightmare. I've still not received the confirmation yet so I just hope that they don't find some other issue. As for the registered address, I wasn't comfortable having it in anything but my own address, especially when forking out x amount on a new car, I'd just rather everything in order. I just wanted to give my first hand experience with regards to buying a new car as I'm unsure if it's a new policy that they have to stick by or not, regarding this letter. 3,080thb has really p*ssed me off.

And the only one to blame for that is your dealer.

You are probably right but I thought It would be best to just post my experience regarding buying a car and for anyone prior to purchasing just to get the dealer to clarify everything so they don't get messed around like this