'iPhone rock' to be dealt with, Thailand Post wows

webfact

'iPhone rock' to be dealt with
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand Post vows to thoroughly inspect the "iPhone rock" delivery case within 5-7 days, following a complaint by a customer.

Suchada Buddharuksa, president of the postal company, said that Thailand Post is now inspecting the entire delivery process, in cooperation with govenment officials and police officers. At each check points, parcels are weighed. The data would show when something irregular happened to the particular parcel.

It added that the customers will be compensated accordingly to international standards.

On July 5, Piyanuch Senamit filed a complaint, saying that she found a rock in the EMS parcel sent by her elder sister. A new iPhone was supposed to be in the box, she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/iPhone-rock-to-be-dealt-with-30238026.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-08

I went to the Post Office in Nakon, Samui. My friend was eagerly awaiting a royalty fee check, he got the envelope from England alright but it was empty. It was hilarious watching him trying to explain how, One would not send an empty Envelope to Samui.

Thieves at the Post Office robbed us 3 times in Samui.

At 3 different locations...

Samui was/is famous for that. In years past before internet money

transfers, bar girls would write letters to their sponsors, and would send

cash to support the girls. Of course these letters would be picked clean

before they were delivered....

Guess in the case of the Iphone rock, they would only need to find a rock

that weighed exactly the same as an Iphone, so the point where the

phone is taken out could not be detected. Or is that too much forward

thinking ??

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Thai post office workers are a bunch of lazy blackmailers. I took a couple hundred envelopes to mail only to be told that I needed to pay 3 baht per envelope to have off duty workers affix stamps to the envelopes. They said the autostamp machine was broken and that stamps would need to be used. I couldn't take the envelopes back because the charges were already made and processed. Thieves.

thinking ??

why bother to put rocks. after stealing who care what happens, the crime is done

Maybe I'm just lucky but in the last 10 years I've probably sent more than 100 packages via EMS containing IT parts, computers, mobile phones and other valuable items to most parts of Thailand and have never lost a single item.

One precaution I take with especially valuable items like mobile phones is I make sure the shipping carton is then wrapped in well sealed, heavy paper, then tied with string. If it's large, I'll have the PO wrapping desk put banding on it.

I guess it's the old strategy of making it as inconvenient and conspicuous as possible for a thief.

Theft is endemic in certain post offices. Never have any problems with stuff delivered to my address in Bangkok. However, Koh Chang I have had numerous problems. I now have everything sent to my address in Bangkok.

thinking ??

why bother to put rocks. after stealing who care what happens, the crime is done

From the OP:

"At each check points, parcels are weighed. The data would show when something irregular happened to the particular parcel."

thinking ??

Assuming this package has gone through, say, 15 pairs of hands since the phone was swapped out, how can they work out when it was done and therefore who did it?

They'll have to work that out themselves, but in the meantime they should have already replaced the phone and offered some compensation, the eejits.

One year my mate sent a xmas parcel home. he had to write was it contained (standard procedure everywhere). When they saw he had included xmas cards in the parcel they made him take them out and send them separately.

He was livid and argued the point but they said they would not send it as is.

Strange

All my stuff throughout the years has arrived safely in Britain, or stuff sent from there has come through no problem though.

I have mailed and received many items using Thailand Post and never had a problem. This is one Thai institution that works well, and deserves credit.

If it "works well" in your case then you are indeed very fortunate but also, I would suggest, in a very unusual situation.

I, and my family, along with many others in our village have had numerous parcels go "missing".

Everyone knows it's the local postman who steals them (we have caught him red-handed on TWO occasions falsifying my wife's signature) and after numerous complaints, the provincial boss of Thailand Post sent his deputy to our house to beg us not to think badly of their service!

The thieving postman is STILL in the same job and STILL stealing stuff.

I am quite sure that rampant theft among Thailand Post employees is the norm not the exception as they know there are no consequences to their dishonesty.

This is entirely the fault of Thailand Post, your "institution that works well", who refuse to address the problem even when they have incontrovertible proof of guilt.

Edited by Always18

I live in Hua Hin and i remember when my daughter was born i had over 50 people sending cards and gifts via normal post and nothing arrived whatsoever! Since then i always say to friends/family use EMS and since then i receive everything. However it seems pretty pointless to send a birthday card which costs 2 pound and costs 5 pound to send!!

It's not just Koh Samui. Here in Cha Am I am still waiting for the delivery of Christmas cards, birthday cards and other stuff sent, in some instances, years ago. Oddly, going the other way, items tend to get there more often - eventually. Maybe the generals could order an investigation into the Thai postal service as part of their ongoing anti-crime exercise.

Assuming this package has gone through, say, 15 pairs of hands since the phone was swapped out, how can they work out when it was done and therefore who did it?

They'll have to work that out themselves, but in the meantime they should have already replaced the phone and offered some compensation, the eejits.

Another nonsense story encouraged by the Thai Visa editors. Right up there with yesterday's "Missing girl from train still alive" monstrous rumour-mongering. And the Official Thai Visa Subcommittee On Post Office Bashing is way, way out of line, including the above. Thailand Post was given a rock to deliver, and delivered it flawlessly.

This is the story of a scam. A woman ordered (traded, actually) an iPhone on an internet flea market site, and the scammer mailed her a rock. Thailand Post delivered the package perfectly, unaltered. It is absolutely amazing how bent and twisted this scam story has become at this website, and the rage from the Bashing Committee membership.

I cannot post the link because Thai Visa does not allow certain factual reporting, but if you google "iphone rock police galaxy" the real story about the rock will show up linked to a Bangkok rhymes-with-Toast newspaper and you can be informed about what really happened here. In short, Thailand Post was given a package with a rock inside, and delivered it perfectly to the addressee.

This is another great example about how the press has to scramble to find stupid stories to report because censorship prohibits them from actual reporting. If it weren't for the coup, this story would have either never been reported or it would have been properly reported as the funny-sad con game it really is. Instead, reporters have to rush to report without even finding out the facts. Typical military censorship result.

If you honestly think that the coup has anything to do with stupid stories being printed - then you must have been living under a rock for the past few years.

• Like 1

Another nonsense story encouraged by the Thai Visa editors. Right up there with yesterday's "Missing girl from train still alive" monstrous rumour-mongering. And the Official Thai Visa Subcommittee On Post Office Bashing is way, way out of line, including the above. Thailand Post was given a rock to deliver, and delivered it flawlessly.

This is the story of a scam. A woman ordered (traded, actually) an iPhone on an internet flea market site, and the scammer mailed her a rock. Thailand Post delivered the package perfectly, unaltered. It is absolutely amazing how bent and twisted this scam story has become at this website, and the rage from the Bashing Committee membership.

I cannot post the link because Thai Visa does not allow certain factual reporting, but if you google "iphone rock police galaxy" the real story about the rock will show up linked to a Bangkok rhymes-with-Toast newspaper and you can be informed about what really happened here. In short, Thailand Post was given a package with a rock inside, and delivered it perfectly to the addressee.

This is another great example about how the press has to scramble to find stupid stories to report because censorship prohibits them from actual reporting. If it weren't for the coup, this story would have either never been reported or it would have been properly reported as the funny-sad con game it really is. Instead, reporters have to rush to report without even finding out the facts. Typical military censorship result.

If you honestly think that the coup has anything to do with stupid stories being printed - then you must have been living under a rock for the past few years.

Well it's certainly brought out all her stupid ones

My experience of Thai post - Had a parcel containing some Xmas gifts sent from home a few years ago that never arrived - traced it through that royal mail and they said it had arrived in Bangkok and beyond that they couldn't look into it further - was supposed to arrive in Chiang mai so was stolen by someone working for the Thai postal service clearly. Still angers me to this day for sentimental reasons as much as the expense of the goods it contained.

A few weeks later 2 letters were sent to me again from the UK - a student loans debt reminder and an embossed birthday card - no surprises for guessing which arrived and which didn't. I've also often had letters arrive that have been opened. It's scandalous that so many incidents of blatent thievery go on by employees of the Thai postal service.

To show that I'm being fair here I would say I've had no probs with parcels I've sent overseas (though not exactly containing valuables). For any future mail I had sent to me I made sure it was sent directly to my school as I felt they would be less likely to tamper with someone going to a school - though I avoid items being sent to me now or will pay extra for recorded delivery.

It's no wonder eBay sellers always list Thailand as a country they won't deliver to.

Thanx for that, you are absolutely right.... although it seems nothing to do with the putsch.... This is just a journo problem :-)

<edited>

Edited by bronco10250

One year my mate sent a xmas parcel home. he had to write was it contained (standard procedure everywhere). When they saw he had included xmas cards in the parcel they made him take them out and send them separately.

He was livid and argued the point but they said they would not send it as is.

Strange

All my stuff throughout the years has arrived safely in Britain, or stuff sent from there has come through no problem though.

In The US Postal system, it is against regulations to insert a personal communication; be it a greeting card or letter, into a PARCEL POST package. Invoices and packing lists are allowed.

If you want a letter or card to go with the parcel, you must attach it to the outside of the package and affix a first class stamp to it. The parcel is stamped separately.

Books and journals sent "Book Rate" are the same and the package can not be sealed but can be tied.

Packages sent First Class mail and what used to be called "Air Mail" were allowed to have messages and letters inside.

thinking ??

I guess a geologist should be brought in to investigate

• Like 1