What is Kongman?

y2k

Advice from the lawyer on this forum refers to the Kongman engagement. I've lucked out in finding a definition on the internet. Can someone please point me to a definition or provide me a description of what this means?

'Khongman' is property given to future wife at time of engagement as a guarantee that the marriage will take place.

If the future wife does not go through with the marriage then, I believe that, via the courts, the property or the monetary value can be reclaimed due to breach of implied contract.

Edit to add... This link might help http://www.thailawforum.com/articles/familywimol.html

Edited by ThaidDown
  • Like 1

So if the marriage goes through but later breaks down does the man have recourse to claim back anything? I'm thinking not.

By 'go though with the marriage' I meant that you were officially married, not that it lasted any length of time.

To say again, if after giving this land/property an official marriage does NOT occur then you have recourse through the courts to reclaim .

Obviously after the (Amphur) marriage ceremony has been completed then all bets are off as per anyone else.

So if the marriage goes through but later breaks down does the man have recourse to claim back anything? I'm thinking not.

You may want to rephrase that. You mean if she will be entitled to keep anything you promise or giver her for "Kongman"?

The ring plus ...? I didn't do the ring thing for an engagement, with hindsight.

Later on, as part of the wedding, there will be sin sod and tong mun. Spelling = ?)