Thai Souvenir /plz suggestions

morientes

I should be in Chiangmai soon. While this will be a pleasure trip I would like to bring back some souvenir for staff (ten people). My budget is about 300 baht per person. Obviously I would like to get something unique to Thailand (or surrounding region).

Any suggestions - for the items and places to get them.

Have a nice day!

Look for Pashmira scarfs. The ones with the label saying 100% cashemere and not with shinny texture.

The regular price on street markets is about 100THB, but some will ask 150THB or more. Women will love it, because are rare in the West and priced well over $50 US.....

Edited by umbanda

Look for Pashmira scarfs. The ones with the label saying 100% cashemere and not with shinny texture.

The regular price on street markets is about 100THB, but some will ask 150THB or more. Women will love it, because are rare in the West and priced well over $50 US.....

Doubt you'll get what would be regarded as a genuine quality Pashmina (Cashmere) scarf for anything near Baht 100. Never tried to buy one myself, but I've heard in Bangkok they'd go for at least Baht 4000. CM might be cheaper, but not that much cheaper.

The term cashmere is registered , but "Pashmina" is not so there's no legal restrictions on saying something is 100% Pashmina since there is no certified meaning for the term.

There are many low quality fake scarves being sold as Pashminas in the market nowadays. Unscrupulous vendors are easily misusing Pashmina name since it is not controlled by an international trademark like "Cashmere" is. The products that say "100% Pashmina" on their label are made in unspecified countries with some synthetic material whose contents we do not know.The vendors call them wool, however we tested them and they burn like viscose. They are dyed in cheap metal colors (Pure Cashmere cannot take metal based colors) Such attempts by some companies hurt the Real Cashmere Pashmina trade and the tradesmen/tradeswomen who work very hard every year to rear the Capra Hircus goats and make the Cashmere Pashmina yarn and then weave it into fine Cashmere scarves/shawls