Night Bus from Khon Kaen to Mukdahan?

domu

Hi everybody,

I will have to travel from Samui to Savanakhet for my visa in september.

I booked already my flights between Suratthani an Khon Kaen but I can't find any information about the buses from there to Mukdahan (transport.co.th only gives the times for the busses fom BKK).

As I will land in khon Kaen around 6 p.m, I would like to know if there is a chance to reach Mukdahan during the night.

Thanks for your answers.

I'll second that. Phetprasert is good.

They use Scandia double decker buses. If my memory serves me correctly these buses run the Mae Sot to Mukdahan route. It'll arrive in Mukdahan early enough for you to catch the first bus from the bus station in Mukdahan over the bridge to Savanakhet. Check the schedule as the departure time might be quite late if you are arrving already in Khon Kaen at 6PM.

Being way out in the middle of nowhere, as I am, I booked the Phetprasert bus on http://thairoute.com/ and reserved my seat, and then paid at 7/11. Nice.(both 7/11 and thairoute.com took a small service fee which was well worth it).

It's a good company and they change drivers at Lom Sak.

Good Luck.

Edited by 96tehtarp

I'll second that. Phetprasert is good.

They use Scandia double decker buses. If my memory serves me correctly these buses run the Mae Sot to Mukdahan route. It'll arrive in Mukdahan early enough for you to catch the first bus from the bus station in Mukdahan over the bridge to Savanakhet. Check the schedule as the departure time might be quite late if you are arrving already in Khon Kaen at 6PM.

Being way out in the middle of nowhere, as I am, I booked the Phetprasert bus on http://thairoute.com/ and reserved my seat, and then paid at 7/11. Nice.(both 7/11 and thairoute.com took a small service fee which was well worth it).

It's a good company and they change drivers at Lom Sak.

Good Luck.

Correct - there is a daily night bus, using a yellow colored bus that travels from the Burmese border at Mae Sot to the Lao border at Mukdahan. A strange routing if you ask me, but useful for some folks. I believe the departure time out of Mae Sot is around 7 or 8pm, so by the time the bus reaches Khon Kaen it would probably be around 2 or 3am, perhaps a little later. I have driven Mae Sot to Khon Kaen a few times, departing in the late afternoon or early evening and usually arriving around 12 midnight, the curves past Phitsanulok are not difficult for an experienced driver to negotiate, but I'd still be a bit wary of drivers on that road.

Back in 2002 a Thai friend and I were travelling near Khao Kor when our car overturned (of course my then friend was very inexperienced) causing the car to roll numerous times and I then suffered a right shoulder dislocation. We were heading from Lampang to Khon Kaen. Later that night we hired a car with driver to drive us to Khon Kaen where some x-rays were taken of my shoulder at Khon Kaen ram hospital but otherwise I was fine. The bus journey from Khon Kaen back to northern Thailand (Lampang) was pretty hair raising - I remember we almost flipped a curve not too far from where I was involved in that accident days earlier. Brought back some raw memories and sitting up front with no seat belt, I felt scared. I was lucky and made it back OK.

Anyway, just some food for thought but you should be OK. Khon Kaen to Mukdahan is a piece of cake though - the road is fairly flat and straight, although there are lengthy single lane sections but it's not twisting or winding at least. You'll be fine.

"Hi everybody,

I will have to travel from Samui to Savanakhet for my visa in september.

I booked already my flights between Suratthani an Khon Kaen but I can't find any information about the buses from there to Mukdahan (transport.co.th only gives the times for the busses fom BKK).

As I will land in khon Kaen around 6 p.m, I would like to know if there is a chance to reach Mukdahan during the night.

Thanks for your answers."

Unless you have personal reasons getting to Savavhket by flying into KK then busing it makes no sense at all. Most people fly Nok Air http://www.nokair.com/nokconnext/aspx/Index.aspx from Bangkok (Don Mueang) to Nakhon Phanom. Your tickets includes your transport to Mukdahan, the Friendship Bridge, about 1.5 hours.

• 6 months later...