Health Insurance for Foreigners in Chiang Mai

Mapguy

Having browsed through this thread in the hope of finding a pointer to a good, reasonably priced, Thai health Insurance provider--I am still in the dark.

Could anyone provide a short list of suitable companies and a rough idea of their worth, in real terms?

If this has been covered already--please just point to the post.

Insurance companies are overall very good in Thailand. Keep in mind the attitude is different here. In the West we are taught to only file claims as a last resort (catastrophic) otherwise our polices could be cancelled or our premiums raised. Thais see it differently. They are paying for health insurance and expect to get something for their money when they are hospitalized. It's a big business here. Reps from the companies will often show up and visit you in the hospital to be sure you are comfortable.

Rough idea of their worth? I dunno. Check the investor page of their websites for stock info, market cap, etc.

Thanks for your reply--I did have a policy for my daughter with Thai Life , and after she was hodpitalized they, too, paid 100% back--I have since moved her to AIA for a slightly higher premium--but they have initially rejected my application.

Maybe I will have a browse through ThaiLife, AXA,.Thai Pakhan Cheewit, etc...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having browsed through this thread in the hope of finding a pointer to a good, reasonably priced, Thai health Insurance provider--I am still in the dark.

Could anyone provide a short list of suitable companies and a rough idea of their worth, in real terms?

If this has been covered already--please just point to the post.

Insurance companies are overall very good in Thailand. Keep in mind the attitude is different here. In the West we are taught to only file claims as a last resort (catastrophic) otherwise our polices could be cancelled or our premiums raised. Thais see it differently. They are paying for health insurance and expect to get something for their money when they are hospitalized. It's a big business here. Reps from the companies will often show up and visit you in the hospital to be sure you are comfortable.

Rough idea of their worth? I dunno. Check the investor page of their websites for stock info, market cap, etc.

Thanks for your reply--I did have a policy for my daughter with Thai Life , and after she was hodpitalized they, too, paid 100% back--I have since moved her to AIA for a slightly higher premium--but they have initially rejected my application.

Maybe I will have a browse through ThaiLife, AXA,.Thai Pakhan Cheewit, etc...

Without being too personal is there any particular reason that AIA rejected the application?

I had an 'unusual' heart rhythm during EKG tests, which has been found before and also explained to me as a perfectly normal occurrence by a UK heart consultant, but AIA have rejected my application with a recommendation to try again in 6 months. Which seems a little strange as someone else mentioned to me- why did they not just make this an uninsured exception.

This looks like it's intended for "in bound tourists" who stay a max of 60 days. Interesting that they do offer "annual cover", but it still plainly says that it covers maximum of 60 days per trip. I don't think it's intended for people with non-immigrant O visas with annual marriage/retirement extensions.

Also the upper age is 70.

Still, a very good plan for tourists. They'd be well advised to purchase it.

Its a pity that there is not any medical Cover for over 65 retired people.

Pity that the latest medical scheme was abandoned for foreigners

It's a pity people can't do internet searches and buy the coverage they need. It's a pity some people can't come to grips with the reality that older people are higher risk and therefore, more expensive to insure. It's pity so many actually believe a foreign government is the solution to their problems, let alone any government.

• Like 1

I had an 'unusual' heart rhythm during EKG tests, which has been found before and also explained to me as a perfectly normal occurrence by a UK heart consultant, but AIA have rejected my application with a recommendation to try again in 6 months. Which seems a little strange as someone else mentioned to me- why did they not just make this an uninsured exception.

I understand now. I misread your post and thought they had rejected your daughter.

This looks like it's intended for "in bound tourists" who stay a max of 60 days. Interesting that they do offer "annual cover", but it still plainly says that it covers maximum of 60 days per trip. I don't think it's intended for people with non-immigrant O visas with annual marriage/retirement extensions.

Also the upper age is 70.

Still, a very good plan for tourists. They'd be well advised to purchase it.

Its a pity that there is not any medical Cover for over 65 retired people.

Pity that the latest medical scheme was abandoned for foreigners

It's a pity people can't do internet searches and buy the coverage they need. It's a pity some people can't come to grips with the reality that older people are higher risk and therefore, more expensive to insure. It's pity so many actually believe a foreign government is the solution to their problems, let alone any government.

Tried that, and went to the Thai Health company suggested above.

English version of their site kept defaulting to thai at every click so beat me unfortunately. (yes I could phone them I know).

Then tried Allianz Ayudayha (?) also suggested, and asked for a quote with a very high deductible as I am happy to self insure for 'normal' stuff to get premiums down.

Nothing more than an acknowledgment yet, but I will post when the respond if that helps.