Apply for a marriage visa with 30 days entry visa?

I have been married for several years with a thai girl, and previously held one year marriage visa.

The question is whether I need Non imigrants visa from the Embassy of Norway to apply for a 1-year marriage visa in Thailand, or if I can do this if I just arrive to Thailand as a tourist (30 days visa entry). As mentioned I'm married in Thailand.

Can it be done without and apply for a visa to Thailand, so I save both time and money.

Please do not answer if you are not 100% sure (there is some new imigration rules out).

I don't know that you are saving any money by arriving with a visa exempt entry, but it is possible if you have the financial qualifications in place. You only get a Non-Immigrant "O" in Thailand as part of the one year extension of stay application process.

you need a non-immigrant 'o' visa before you can apply for an 'extension of stay'.

either you get a non 'o' visa before you arrive [in your home country which will probably be the easiest method] or you will need to convert your 'visa exempt entry' to a non 'o' at immigration in bangkok.

You should get a single entry non-o visa based up marriage before leaving.

You can do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry at Bangkok immigration based upon marriage. It will take two trips to get the visa/entry stamp. Unless you live in Bangkok this is not a good option. If you come in a 30 day exempt entry you would also only have 15 days to do the application from the date you enter.

• 3 months later...

I am a brit recently married to a thai national and am in the country on the 30 day visa exempt stamp. Which immigration office to I visit to apply for the non immigrant o visa so i can apply for the extension to stay based on marriage?

I have heard lad prao is the right one, then also been told that one is just for burmese and cambodian nationals.

BTW for proof of income do I need a letter from the embassy or can I just show my payslips or p60? I get paid in the uk.

Edited by longway

I am a brit recently married to a thai national and am in the country on the 30 day visa exempt stamp. Which immigration office to I visit to apply for the non immigrant o visa so i can apply for the extension to stay based on marriage?

I have heard lad prao is the right one, then also been told that one is just for burmese and cambodian nationals.

BTW for proof of income do I need a letter from the embassy or can I just show my payslips or p60? I get paid in the uk.

You can only apply at the Chaeng Wattana immigration office.

You will need at least 15 days remaining on your entry to apply.

It will take two trips to get the visa and entry stamps done. First to apply and then two weeks go back to get the stamps done in your passport.

You will need proof of your income from the embassy. You will need 2 original letters. One for the visa application and another for the extension.

Thanks for the info. esp about the 2 original letters. I went in yesterday and have been flummoxed by their demand that I must have the affidavit that I am free to marry as well, even though I am already married and had the original marriage cert as well.

My marriage is registered in Singburi, and the only way to get a copy is by driving 2.5 hours each way to get it as I never imagined I would need it again.

Is this actually a requirement? Or is it just that particular officer being an arse? I didn't see it being listed in their requirements anywhere.

Also do they need my wife's original tabien ban? We showed that officer a photo of the tabien ban, which is also in Singburi and she was satisfied, but I am afraid if I go to another officer she/he will demand the original.

Edited by longway

Thanks for the info. esp about the 2 original letters. I went in yesterday and have been flummoxed by their demand that I must have the affidavit that I am free to marry as well, even though I am already married and had the original marriage cert as well.

My marriage is registered in Singburi, and the only way to get a copy is by driving 2.5 hours each way to get it as I never imagined I would need it again.

Is this actually a requirement? Or is it just that particular officer being an arse? I didn't see it being listed in their requirements anywhere.

Also do they need my wife's original tabien ban? We showed that officer a photo of the tabien ban, which is also in Singburi and she was satisfied, but I am afraid if I go to another officer she/he will demand the original.

The often ask for the affirmation if you have recently married when doing a non immigrant visa application.

A copy of the tambien ban will be accepted.

Did you also have a copy of the Kor Ror 2.

The often ask for the affirmation if you have recently married when doing a non immigrant visa application.

A copy of the tambien ban will be accepted.

Did you also have a copy of the Kor Ror 2.

Seems crazy, as you cant get married without it, so once you hv the marriage cert it would be spuerfluous you would hv thought. Oh well nothing for but to waste time and petrol to get it.

I did bring the original kor ror 2. Stupidly imagined i had all the bases covered. 55

• 4 weeks later...

So i got my 3 month non o visa and went to lopburi immigration to get the 1 year extension. I was told i was too early to apply for a 1 year extension, the 3 month visa only recently. I travel reguarly for work, the next chance i get to apply again will be in thw new year when i return.

The 3 month expires 28 jan and they cant guarantee i can get the extension approved on time. What can i do, if anything?

How old must the 3 month be before i can apply for an extension?

So i got my 3 month non o visa and went to lopburi immigration to get the 1 year extension. I was told i was too early to apply for a 1 year extension, the 3 month visa only recently. I travel reguarly for work, the next chance i get to apply again will be in thw new year when i return.

The 3 month expires 28 jan and they cant guarantee i can get the extension approved on time. What can i do, if anything?

How old must the 3 month be before i can apply for an extension?

You can apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you have.

You need to get a re-entry permit to keep the 90 days valid before you leave. It will cost 1000 baht.

^ thanx guys. I alteady got the re entry. What puzzled was the lady at immigration said there is no gaurantee i can get the extension between the time i apply, prob jan 2 ,and 28 jan when the 3 month expires.

They limit me to only apply in the last 30 days and then say i might not get an extension before my 3 month expires!?

So i must leave again by 28 jan?

Sigh

Edited by longway

When you apply you will get a under consideration stamp with a report date form either the date you apply or from when your entry ends. I think that is what she meant. The under consideration stamp allows you to stay until your extension is approved.

No need to leave.