Murder of Thai girl: SRT admits to nepotism, corruption in hiring of Wanchai

webfact

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I travel by rail frequently and aside from this horrible crime, I don't see any issue with the rail service.

Its an inexpensive means of transport serving many locations throughout the country.

It is popular amongst Thai and farang alike. It offers an economical means of transport.

This was a horrible incident. The entire country is rightfully in shock; however, the outlet for that anger should be directed at the assailant and not the SRT.

Of course the guy is the cause... but nepotism and bad background checks are part of the problem too.

Get rid of the governor of the SRT as a show of force then reform top down.

IIRC this was the guy that said he'd resign if there was ever another derailment while he was in charge, and rode the Chiang Mai train to prove it - which promptly derailed.

He then decided it was someone else's fault and fired them.

Start with sacking that useless tub of lard.

Thanks for being the first poster to actually reference the guys work history and performance on the job.

Although it might be a difficult precedent to follow every time a train derails or nepotism occurs.

They better change that office door to a revolving one.

Cheers

I just love the fact that under the new regime that the truth comes out quickly.

"The truth" includes all of the truth, and not merely the truth which is convenient. When the relative who shoehorned the alleged rapist/murderer into his job is named and brought forward to tell his version of the hiring, I will agree with you. Meanwhile, it's business as usual in Thailand.

• Like 1

ClutchClark post # 3

I travel by rail frequently and aside from this horrible crime, I don't see any issue with the rail service.

Its an inexpensive means of transport serving many locations throughout the country.

It is popular amongst Thai and farang alike. It offers an economical means of transport.

This was a horrible incident. The entire country is rightfully in shock; however, the outlet for that anger should be directed at the assailant and not the SRT.

One presumes of course that you would let your daughter(s) ( if you have any ) travel without any thought at all concerning their safety based upon your somewhat naive comments.

The supplier of the service has a duty to its clients i.e passengers personal safety.

They (S.R.T) failed to carry out their obligations with tragic results

Siamplolee,

So you are the first person to complain about the parents allowing their 13-year old daughter to travel on the train without an adult.

It seems very early to be critical of the family.

She had her 22 yr old sister with her, who I believe was sleeping in the top bunk,22 can be considered adult, yes?

"Despite having a criminal record, Wanchai Saengkao, 22, used his connections to a relative who works for SRT to land a job cleaning trains, where he routinely got drunk and high."

"That relative even went so far as to conceal Wanchai’s criminal records, which included two drug-related prosecutions, according to Prapat."

Is this relative going to be fired and prosecuted ?wink.png

Or disappear under a rock somewhere, never to be seen or heard from again.

ClutchClark post # 3

One presumes of course that you would let your daughter(s) ( if you have any ) travel without any thought at all concerning their safety based upon your somewhat naive comments.

The supplier of the service has a duty to its clients i.e passengers personal safety.

Siamplolee,

So you are the first person to complain about the parents allowing their 13-year old daughter to travel on the train without an adult.

She had her 22 yr old sister with her, who I believe was sleeping in the top bunk,22 can be considered adult, yes?

Why, yes, robbie, 22 would be considered an adult.

Can you provide the article with those details because I can't find it. The older sister was in the top bunk?

Atleast she wasn't sharing a bunk with her boyfriend.

No one could have predicted this horrible tragedy would happen.

Message to General Prayuth:

Please reform SRT. Re form it please.

I used it many times and never any sign of a problem....It would be easy...check/change the managment.

Have a group of soldiers who stop trains and check every staff on it. For everyone they can find the group get 2 salaries of him and the person get kicked out.

"Despite having a criminal record, Wanchai Saengkao, 22, used his connections to a relative who works for SRT to land a job cleaning trains, where he routinely got drunk and high."

"That relative even went so far as to conceal Wanchai’s criminal records, which included two drug-related prosecutions, according to Prapat."

Its probably not fair to condemn the relative who got him the job. That relative was only doing what the whole of the Thai population would do and never in his wildest moment dreamed that this grub would do such a terrible thing.

• Like 1

"That relative even went so far as to conceal Wanchais criminal records, which included two drug-related prosecutions, according to Prapat."

Its probably not fair to condemn the relative who got him the job. That relative was only doing what the whole of the Thai population would do and never in his wildest moment dreamed that this grub would do such a terrible thing.

Oldsailor,

I agree that no one could have foreseen anything like this ever happening but they did fire the Governor of the SRT over this and the relative did more than just get him the job--he deleted his arrest history to bypass the hiring policy of the SRT.

If the goal is to stop nepotism then the harshest penalty should be applied to the employee performing the act of nepotism and not the Governor.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

ClutchClark post # 3

Siamplolee,

Especially as she was not on her own she was with her older sister and her sister's boyfriend at least. I do not consider it unreasonable. When I was in ChiangMai my nieces caught the ViP bus from ChiangRai to ChiangMai and we met them at the bus station. Not unreasonable at all.

The SRT's lack of robust systems and procedures is the root cause of this abhorrent crime.

The SRT is culpable and any other conclusion is absolute BS

No, the root cause of this crime was a severely deranged individual.

The SRT did not commit this monstrous act--one person did--and it could not possibly have been imagined or anticipated by anyone.

Next thing you will be telling us its not the monsters fault because he had a difficult childhood.

Not too long ago millions of yaba precursor pills went missing from multiple hospitals. cannot recall if anyone was even prosecuted. it seemed to be an upper level operation. money was made, headlines faded, people forgot. "plant the demon seeds" and coming to fruition.

Sorry; but the management, family member & train guard supervisor all have chosen to give this scumbag an outlet for his depravity. He could & should have been stopped from employment in the public sphere. Accountability is accepting your actions were wrong.

• Like 1

This is horrible. Sad for the girl's family. The murderer must be hanged in a public place. Despite what buddhist think about death penalty, if no severe action is taken now, in few years this situation will be quite normal across de country.

If the relative new this scumbags background then they should be ashamed!

No doubt that relative is being protected by another relative, who is an SRT employee

Staff in the catering car routinely drink or are drunk, with no supervision. On my last night train journey about 2 years ago from Surat Thani up to Bkk the staff in the catering car were very drunk and high and charged me 150B for a bottle of chang. I politely said it was usually 6o or 80 baht or whatever it usually was at the time. They were very agressive and stuck to this 150B price and were clearly enjoying my situation, making sure I could see that they were putting my overcharge in their pocket. Well, I spent at least 1,500B for beer on that trip and was the last time I used the night train, and quit drinking not long after that. Horrible having scrotes like the drunk SRT staff holding power over you like that.

So, how did you get on when you reported this later?

It is not just the railroad has hiring practices like this. I am having surgery next week and I met with the anesthesiologist the other week.

This girl was cute as a button, but she only looked about maybe 20. I hope it was not her hi-so papa who got her the job.

Easy...just ask to check her credentials.....and stop diverting serious topics such as this SRT tragedy! In case I've been too subtle...it's not about you!

ClutchClark post # 3

How dare you bring my family into this argument.

Wow. I truly hoped CC was being sarcastic and not just demonstrating the limitations of out-patient care... blink.png

• Like 1

It was the SRT's policies and lax management that resulted in the hiring of this hideous individual, which ultimately led to a youngster's untimely end.

While I may agree with you that the responsibility for one's actions lies with one's self, the SRT is an organisation that did not enforce not drinking alcohol during work hours, allowed questionable people to get hired through 'contacts', allowed a long history of corruption, all of which contributed significantly to the death of an innocent young girl.

Tell me one thing. If an airline lost an airplane full of passengers because the pilot was drunk, who should be held responsible, the said airline or the pilot ?

The pilot, obviously.

reform it ? Needs to be given to the private sector for new investment. The whole structure and stock is 50 years out of date

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ah yes, the good old private sector, halve the staff and quadruple the prices to make profits for the rich pigs.

Nationalise everything!

• Like 1

Of course the guy is the cause... but nepotism and bad background checks are part of the problem too.

Get rid of the governor of the SRT as a show of force then reform top down.

If Thailand is going to start firing department heads and business leaders for every instance of nepotism and cronyism within their organization then replacements won't even hold the job through lunchtime on their first day.

As a poster above suggested, fire the employee who deleted the criminal record of his relative so he could get this job. Firing the Governor isn't going to stop people from hiring their relatives, but risk of them getting fired themselves will.

Hardly surprising in Thailand. The last Thai government was almost entirely based on nepotism and cronyism.

And all the ones before it!

• Like 1

"That relative even went so far as to conceal Wanchais criminal records, which included two drug-related prosecutions, according to Prapat."

He will be sent to an inactive post for a month.

...or will he get a maximum security inactive post?

I have no problem with them hiring people with criminal records depending on circumstances. Should all people having a drug arrest, even if they have cleaned up, be barred from jobs such as changing sheets? Obviously it would appear they do have a rule against it and it was broke and this is a different issue but it seems they, as people always due when horrific things happen, are looking for blame when there is only one person to blame for this terrible act.

Drugs, alcohol, nepotism, lack of security, the train and so on did not murder this girl, this guy did.

There are tons of places in this world without police and security and tons of people take drugs and drink and other are hired by relatives ... none of these things cause child murders and rape. Murderers and rapists do.

Personally I like the freedoms Thailand has and sad to see that it has become so reactionary like the west to the events that it really is becoming too much like the west and the cost of services and goods are going up due to these "improvements" ... cheap trains, taxis. $3 to avoid a ticket and the rest will all be a thing of the past as more security, regulations and infrastructure and such is deployed. There is always a cost for freedom but a bigger cost when those freedoms are gone.

Most tourists come here because of the quirks and things like the cheap unpredictable taxis and old cheap trains. They come here to escape regulations and the costs they incur. They want to experience a different and less "modern" culture ... they got Singapore if they want modern and well regulated boredom.

• Like 1

HA HA.... good one. Fired/prosecuted???? lol lol ah my first laugh of the day. Thanks.