Impressed by Chiang Mai

jongunnar

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried Udon, KK, Korat in 2012...liked KK the best, but after a while missed CNX too much. A beast of a bus ride back to CNX from KK. CNX is quite a bit more affluent. There are more Doctors and Dentist here....making it actually cost less here to use those services. Street food better and cheaper.....much more bar competition here, too. More English, and they are much more used to dealing with farang. Things can change quick in Asia.......but still pretty nice.

• Like 1

Just made the move. We stayed in Udon, mainly because of a good situation with a house rental, and my girlfriend's family. Now her daughter attends college in Chiang Mai, and she has property in Mae Hong Son, to be attended. Although I visited Chiang Mai before, it is quite different, with a car. We did the big Loop to Mae Hong Son and now have several houses to look at here. We may have a deal in San Sai on Monday. Half the fun is driving around the outskirts to the nearby villages, and looking at the homes for rent. Seems like just too many restaurants too visit. So far, 4 different buffets, and 4 more to go. Tawang Daeng was ten times bigger than the one in Udon. Many mountain venues/waterfalls close by. We are not interested in Loi Kroh, but some may like the girlie bar stuff as well. Seemed most of that was empty....but the night bazaar is kicking.

• Like 1

Accentuate the positive

The air quality is a problem.... only if you make it one...... People have to complain about something, if not the air, its the rain, or the traffic, or the skyrocketing price of a glass of water . I have been here now for over 26 years and I know things exist, so just make the most of it and look for the good side of life...... Bitch away, but stay and enjoy the positives.,,, I don't know where would be better or make me more happy, or I'd move there

Yea Chiang Mai.

Come back in March.

• Like 1

Would the air quality in San Kamphaeng or Doi Saket be better....during the bad months?

No, it's bad all over this general area in most years during late February through March. People who can leave do so and go to Pattaya, Cha Am, Hua Hin, their home countries etc.

With the daily rains, right now it is quite nice.

It's still worth it to live here, just a good idea to plan on leaving during the smoky season if possible.

Edited by mesquite

Would the air quality in San Kamphaeng or Doi Saket be better....during the bad months?

No, it's bad all over this general area in most years during late February through March. People who can leave do so and go to Pattaya, Cha Am, Hua Hin, their home countries etc.

It's still worth it to live here, just a good idea to plan on leaving during the smoky season if possible.

Ok, best then I schedule around that, if it is as bad as you say. I will try to hang in there until March, and depart the area for a month...Krabi or such.

Edited by slipperylobster

Ok, best then I schedule around that, if it is as bad as you say. I will try to hang in there until March, and depart the area for a month...Krabi or such.

There's a pinned topic in this forum about it and you can google if if you want.

Here's one story I came up with Note the date. http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=3409

the glory days of c/mai was pre 2006

since around then, the farung hustlers invasion arrived , plus the building explosion, and has taken it apart

the air/ noise polloution , over a year time frame, is very disturbing, and continuing to get worse, as each year rolls by

the traffic conditions , are seriously becoming horrendous, gridlocked at vital intersections at peaktime,whilst nimmihedin area is a real no go zone for the car driver 24/7

perhaps this sounds a bit of bitch, but the above are cold hard facts

cannot stop progress,and one has to adjust, as i have done

but c/mai pre 2006,was a retirees/ visitors dream , now???..J.M.O.

and a very nice morning to allbiggrin.png

Sangkeampeng is worse than centre I found.

Closer to the forest the better- national park side of canal road. Or up towards seomeng in the hills. Trees filter the air. Unless they are on fire 55

since around then, the farung hustlers invasion arrived , plus the building explosion, and has taken it apart

the air/ noise polloution , over a year time frame, is very disturbing, and continuing to get worse, as each year rolls by

the traffic conditions , are seriously becoming horrendous, gridlocked at vital intersections at peaktime,whilst nimmihedin area is a real no go zone for the car driver 24/7

Depends where you live and what you do, I guess. Since I gave up driving here long ago I don't notice traffic problems. I haven't noticed it getting any noisier either, but again that must depend on where you live and where you go.

I try to understand why so many people want to have cars and motorbikes, when it is so easy to get along without them if you make the effort. It does require living centrally and many people can't or won't do that for a variety of reasons.

The pollution this year was not half as bad as it was 6-7 years ago, when you literally noticed it with every breath. Still, if you can escape during Feb/Mar it is best to do so.

• Like 1

Depends where you live and what you do, I guess. Since I gave up driving here long ago I don't notice traffic problems. I haven't noticed it getting any noisier either, but again that must depend on where you live and where you go.

I try to understand why so many people want to have cars and motorbikes, when it is so easy to get along without them if you make the effort. It does require living centrally and many people can't or won't do that for a variety of reasons.

The pollution this year was not half as bad as it was 6-7 years ago, when you literally noticed it with every breath. Still, if you can escape during Feb/Mar it is best to do so.

Even if you don't live centrally you can still get around pretty easy if you learn the Songtaew routes out of town and occasionally make use of chartering vehicles or renting a car by the day. I live in Doi Saket fairly close to a yellow bus route that runs from around 4.30am to 10pm if I need to get back home at a later time I can get a tuk tuk from Chiang Mai for 300 baht. All a little less convenient but easily doable.

Things really began to change in 2008, at least to me. Before that there were still lots of open fields everywhere, getting into town only took 10 minutes....

I agree with the onslaught of farang hustlers, the destruction of beautiful open land everywhere and the over-building of junk, poorly constructed concrete blocks everywhere, the over-supply of ridiculous new shopping malls, air and noise pollution...traffic...

I often discover beautiful beach communities every year (we always go to off the beaten path beach locations each March to escape the pollution), but in the end C.M. has the good schools, doctors, medical care, etc. all of which are important if you have kids. I suppose if I were single I may opt for a beach location but even with all the changes I still feel at home here. Things do change and one has to adapt.

• Like 1

Many comments regarding Air Quality, living South of C-Mai we do not suffer from that problem.

We live "south" of CM, and we suffer just as badly as the rest of Northern Thailand.

You must live in a bubble.

sm 89 is correct to a point the further south you live the better it is although there is no escaping it all together. The town area is obviously worse as its like living in a bowl with mountain ranges Doi Suthep etc trapping the flow of air and no breeze to move it.

If you are coming from the south,in the burning season, along Hang Dong Rd the pollution is visibly worse the nearer you get to town.

Please stop saying nice things about Chiang Mai, you'll attract all the riff raff.

Too late, I'm on my way!!!

I'm going through the culling process right now, preparing to pack a container headed for CM...