Bob's Texas Bbq

Heng

Just happened to be googling and found this place to be 5 minutes away from my house in Pattaya. Will likely stop in when I head down next week sometime. Too many items (I don't think I can handle a rack of ribs, 2-3 different burgers, and a chicken fried steak in one sitting) that I'd like to sample on my first visit. Anyone here been? How was it? What'd you have?

:o

If it's the place I think it is, it is in probably the worst possible location in Pattaya, on the north side of Pattaya Tai just east of 3rd Road. The "restaurant" is a standard 1-unit shophouse with glass front, from the outside it looks like most thai style restaurants in Pattaya. Charm level zero.

Never ate there; the food looks yummy on their ads but then again, even MacD look good in the ads ... :o

Yeah, I'm thinking I've seen it before. Charm isn't an issue as I've rarely found Texas bbq places back home to be terribly rich on atmosphere either.

if we were to apply an international standard, most good rib places operate out of a shop house arrangement...just check out Flint's BBQ in North Oakland, CA, one of the finest on the West Coast...large sweating black women with cleavers chopping up yer rib dinner fresh from de BBQ oven with the finest sauce extant...take away only...

yassuh...youse meant to get yo' Ranier Ale (sort of like Tennants Super for all you confused brits) from the liquor store across de street...

• 2 weeks later...

I have often been tempted to go to this place, but the parking sucks and I always go somewhere else. Why do people who have a niche product never give any thought to this kind of thing, like parking, ambience and end up pitching it at the cheapest possible price? I think the owner needs to go to business school - just look at starbucks, OK coffee, ok cakes, awful savoury stuff and always doing a roaring trade because they are in locations where buyers want them to be and the ambience is warm and welcoming.

Used BobsBBQ quite a bit and have never had a bad experience, location does'nt bother me as i only get delivery. There is also a kitchen in TQ2 on walking st and eventually as Bob tells me it hopefully expand in walking st which is great as i will certainly be using it to offer bar snacks.

I had a big party in my house yesterday for my wifes birthday and i ordered and large buffet form Bobs, the plates were emptied so what more can i say?

PS i'm sure bob won't mind me plugging this for him-

On Saturday August the 5th 2006 Bob's BBQ & Grill will unveil the Worlds Largest Burger at the Carrefour Shopping Center on Pattaya Klang road. The events will be held from 12:00-16:00

There are a variety of events and activities scheduled for this day. Some of them in no certain order are:

Unveiling of the Worlds Largest burger

Mayor of Pattaya Branding the Name of burger on the top Bun.

Special performances from the kids of the Baen Jing Jai orphanage

Kids from the orphanage eat the Worlds Largest Burger

Presentation of Donations to the Baen jing Jai orphanage

Burger eating contest (the quickest time to finish the Wagon Wheel Burger wins) There will be cash prizes for winners.

:D

Edited by davethailand

Ended up going twice in 2 days. Excellent cheeseburger (don't recall which I picked) and the Texas chicken fried steak brought me right back to Lone Star Cafe and my old high school (which actually had really good chicken fried steaks).

Parking is difficult, had to park at CAT Telecom, which probably wouldn't work for non CAT hours.

For us irregular Pattaya visitors (uh...that means I vist Pattaya irregularly, not that I'm irregular when I'm in Pattaya), could somebody provide a map or give a detailed explanation of the location? Given the comments above, it might almost be worth the trip down from Bangkok.

Edited by OldAsiaHand

For us irregular Pattaya visitors (uh...that means I vist Pattaya irregularly, not that I'm irregular when I'm in Pattaya), could somebody provide a map or give a detailed explanation of the location? Given the comments above, it might almost be worth the trip down from Bangkok.

http://www.bobs-bbq.com/ :o

Great. Thanks.

Eating Texas barbecue in the Tahitian Queen sounds like an experience not to be missed.

I have eaten at Bob's many times and enjoy his food. This coming from a native born redneck from West Texas.

I never had a problem parking as there are generally places open right in front of his shop. That having been said, I haven't been there since January last so I have no idea whether the geniuses that run our streets have painted little red and white blocks in front of his place or dug up the road to lay yet another sewer/water/telephone/electrical/whatever line.

I look forward to trying his product again next month.

• 3 weeks later...
I have eaten at Bob's many times and enjoy his food. This coming from a native born redneck from West Texas.....

I'm from Texas, too, and I have a different point of view.

After seeing a lot of hype about this place, I finally got to try it when I was in Pattaya a few days ago. Man, oh man, was I ever disappointed.

I should have guessed what was coming when I tried to order and the waitress immediately started the no-have-no-can routine. A barbeque place that 'no have' any chicken at all in spite of it being on the menu? Give me a break. And no brisket even on the menu? Oh, please.

Anyway, I ordered something else instead, something I really didn't want. It was okay, but hardly remarkable. And no barbequed beans on a barbeque plate? No pickles? No peppers? No have, no have, no have.

This place is just a second rate local hole. If so many people hadn't told me the owner was from Texas, I would have assumed it was owned by some Thai who had never been inside a barbeque place. The ribs are okay, but so are Tony Roma's and Bourbon Street's. The ones at the Great American Rib Company are a ###### sight better.

Save you time and money. The place is -- as we say in Texas -- all hat and no cowboy.

Expecting to find real BBQ in Pattaya, or anywhere else here, is an unreasonable expectation. If the menu is accurate and representative then this is a not a BBQ place but closer to a Diner (cheeseburgers and chicken-fried steak, both favorites of mine, are not BBQ). The ribs appear to be the only thing remotely BBQ at this joint.

True BBQ requires a pretty massive turnover, say 200 - 300 dinners, per day to be manageable. Cooking pork or brisket for 18 hours means that it's a lot of work, and without customers a lot of food will go to waste (instead of waist, which is where it should be going).

All true. My gripe with Bob's is all the hype they put out, which is a darn site more impressive than their food.

Maybe they're doing the best they can in Pattaya (but 'no have' for basic menu items never seems to me to be the best anyone can do anywhere). Still, darn it all, don't claim to be something you aren't (and can't be) and lure people in with a bunch of BS. They just get pissed off at you and tell the world. Dumb.

Edited by OldAsiaHand

All true. My gripe with Bob's is all the hype they put out, which is a darn site more impressive than their food.

Maybe they're doing the best they can in Pattaya (but 'no have' for basic menu items never seems to me to be the best anyone can do anywhere). Still, darn it all, don't claim to be something you aren't (and can't be) and lure people in with a bunch of BS. They just get pissed off at you and tell the world. Dumb.

That sums up the problem with a lot of 'farang' places in Pattaya - he had a good idea but has poorly executed it with a bad location, bad decor and pitched it too cheap. By being so cheap he has no margin for wastage hence many things are not available. Seems to happen all too often in Pattaya.

bad decor

A minor point, but most real, true good BBQ joints in the U.S. are absolutely required to have "bad decor". It's part of the charm. I'll take some pictures at one of my favorite places when I'm back in the 'States next week and post them here.

Two of my favorite BBQ decor items are automobile license plates (with vanity options preferred, especially if BBQ related, e.g. RIBZ4ME/Tenn or PORKU2/NC) nailed to the wall and jars of colored water on a shelf. Have never figured that one out?

• 2 years later...
I have eaten at Bob's many times and enjoy his food. This coming from a native born redneck from West Texas.....

I'm from Texas, too, and I have a different point of view.

After seeing a lot of hype about this place, I finally got to try it when I was in Pattaya a few days ago. Man, oh man, was I ever disappointed.

I should have guessed what was coming when I tried to order and the waitress immediately started the no-have-no-can routine. A barbeque place that 'no have' any chicken at all in spite of it being on the menu? Give me a break. And no brisket even on the menu? Oh, please.

Anyway, I ordered something else instead, something I really didn't want. It was okay, but hardly remarkable. And no barbequed beans on a barbeque plate? No pickles? No peppers? No have, no have, no have.

This place is just a second rate local hole. If so many people hadn't told me the owner was from Texas, I would have assumed it was owned by some Thai who had never been inside a barbeque place. The ribs are okay, but so are Tony Roma's and Bourbon Street's. The ones at the Great American Rib Company are a ###### sight better.

Save you time and money. The place is -- as we say in Texas -- all hat and no cowboy.

Of course, I am from Texas and smoked BBQ is real there.....Bob has expanded his menu to include too many items that have nothing to do with BBQ.

At first, I thought I was going to a Texas-like smoked BBQ place, but that is almost not on the menu (have to search hard for it).

And I could not find beef brisket (probably because the beef is horrible in Thailand).

I did once eat his chicken fried steak (for those who do not know, it is not made with chicken) and it was OK......green beans and mashed potatoes and gravy with it. Not bad.....but too expensive.

I wish one person would open a real, genuine, authentic Texas-style BBQ place with beef brisket (chopped and sliced), ribs, sausage, ham, potato salad, BBQ beans, Texas toast, jalapeno and onions on the side, and iced tea. I have never found it in Asia.

By the way, chicken is not what most Texas would even consider eating at a BBQ place. Nor would they order a hamburger (usually not on the menu).

Here is a tip: Simplification leads to a higher level of quality control and reduces logistical problems.

I would rather see somebody make one thing great than 100 things bad.

Finally, like some other posters, some of the best BBQ places in Texas are literally dives in terms of decor (check out Sonny Bryan's images on Google). It is not about surroundings; it is about the food.

• 2 months later...

I have eaten at Bobs before, I tried their biggest burger in Pattaya, I enjoyed it greatly well seasoned, good taste, and as big as a plate. At the time I was a big eater and I could not finish the Biggest burger in Pattaya.

I went to Bobs to eat his pinto beans, that were always a treat for me.

I love BBQ but I am not into all the sauces put on the meat ,that mask the taste of the meat itself , just give me ribs with a plain adobo seasoning spice rub, Thats good eats.

All and all I find Bobs to be one of the better places I have enjoyed western food in Thailand

I go to a restaurant to eat ,not look at its decor.