Quality breads in Chiang Mai bakeries

Mekong Bob

Preservatives. Majority of bread makers in CM don't use preservatives as the shelf life will normally be displayed as 3 days. Farmhouse toast has preservatives (I think)

Not sure whole grain is all that important in bread.

No sugar or preservatives is what I want.

And to get that, I have to make my own.

Not to mention, whole grain bread usually gets a wagonload of additives to make it rise.

Some of Chiang Mai's bread products are made from refined grains. Refining helps make bread light and airy and gives it a longer shelf life.

But it also strips away fiber, iron, and many B vitamins. "Enriched" just means that B vitamins and iron are added back after refining. But fiber may not be added back to "enriched" breads. Fiber is found in bread made with whole grains though, so that's your healthier choice.

Which additives are commonly added by local bakeries? All bakeries?

Let's hope some bakeries will step forward and tell us what's in their bread.

I tend to go along with the idea that there is little to no preservatives in the bread here. 1) It goes bad within a few days 2) adding preservatives would take 1 more step and people here tend to take shortcuts, save a baht get it on the shelves fast. A personal note, I have taken a real liking to the Rice bread (60% wheat, 40% rice) which hints that there isnt any more room for preservatives. It.s tasty, always fresh, and the slices are larger than the other bread brands, it also gets old in a few days. I found that squeezing as much air out of the bag as possible and keeping it in an air tight plastic box stretches it out for closer to a week. remember the old fashioned bread boxes back home? I find it at a chain of stores whose name is a pair of initials, on the ground floor of bigger Tescos, Big C and some hospitals. Its worth the time to search out and try, at 62 baht. Bonus is it makes a large sandwich.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

And i'm afraid we've arrived at a generation, perhaps for the first time, where many parents are outlasting their kids,

<snip>

Despite many a debunking, this "fact" gets repeated ad nauseum. For the latest debunking, go to the BBC statistical program web page "more of less" and listen to last weeks's podcast. You will be disabused of this notion--unless of course you also believe there is a media conspiracy, in which case you will be more convinced that the myth is the truth.

[Twilight Zone music plays]

T

Butter is Better is one of the few places that I know of in Chiang Mai that has real 100% whole wheat bread and it tastes fine. Even the health food stores mix in some white flour as it is easier to make it taste better. Kasem's will make it, if you specify what you want and order in advance.

This interested me. Do you know if B is B add sugar? Which Kasem shop is best for me to inquire about this?

<snip>

And i'm afraid we've arrived at a generation, perhaps for the first time, where many parents are outlasting their kids,

<snip>

Despite many a debunking, this "fact" gets repeated ad nauseum. For the latest debunking, go to the BBC statistical program web page "more of less" and listen to last weeks's podcast. You will be disabused of this notion--unless of course you also believe there is a media conspiracy, in which case you will be more convinced that the myth is the truth.

T

Don't bother. There is no doubt that femi fan believes in a media conspiracy - medical doctors are conspiring too! tongue.png

Edited by Ulysses G.

Butter is Better is one of the few places that I know of in Chiang Mai that has real 100% whole wheat bread and it tastes fine. Even the health food stores mix in some white flour as it is easier to make it taste better. Kasem's will make it, if you specify what you want and order in advance.

This interested me. Do you know if B is B add sugar? Which Kasem shop is best for me to inquire about this?

I'm not sure about sugar, but it is easy to ask them. I use the original Kasem's near the Wiro (sp?) market area.

I believe a word of warning, over and above ingredients lists, is necessary for those who are conscious of keeping healthy in their lives...

I went to peuan krua in nong hoi (the big kitcen supplies and ingredients shop) a year or two back. I feel pretty sure this is where most bakeries will get their flours from with which to make their own breads. I asked the staff there where their flour came from because it was not labeled. They went off round the back to find out and the answer was America.

That means to my understanding a strong likelihood the wheat is genetically modified. Labelling of GM ingredients in the US is banned (people might refuse to buy them and then monsanto will go bust), and it is certainly not required by thai law.

I have personally continued to buy the extremely tasty wholewheat brown bread (70 baht loaves) from kasem, but i'm now taking a break from it.

I'm afraid it is a strong likelihood that much bread in thailand is made from GM wheat, but there's no way of knowing for sure.

So please tell us where you do go for your bread after the 'break'.

<snip>

<snip>

T

No, thakkar, i'm sorry, but i don't need to go reading news organisations to refute my claim that kids are now dying before their parents. I only need look around me, talk to people i know, ask questions to real people and do my own research. I'm living in the practical world, not living by the stories in the news orgnasiations. It's a fact, many kids are now dying while their parents have continued living healthily enough into old age. This was very rare when i was a kid and a young adult.

You might want to believe a whole load of theroies and statistics, but i don't thank you.

The only myth here is the one inside the prison of your own belief system.

<snip>

<snip>

T

Don't bother. There is no doubt that femi fan believes in a media conspiracy - medical doctors are conspiring too! tongue.png

Excuse me. Why don't you refute what i said in my post?? I posted only a warning, a very valid warning too. I said clearly i don't know, that i am making suppositions, albeit intelligent ones. Why don't you refute the fact that the USA produces GM wheat, soya, and corn? You can't that's why, so you just bung a stupid 'media conspiracy' label at me. That's so poor, and just plays into the hands of these criminal food organisations which are so poisoning our food supplies.

Please don't lower yourself into using debate-closing terms like 'conspiracy theory', which is all they are. they have no other meaning of their own.

<snip>

<snip>

T

In fact, thakkar, why don't you show the forum where all these 'many' 'debunkings' have taken place?? Whatever a 'debunking' is anyway… what is this, what does this word mean??

And where does this 'fact' get repeated 'ad nauseum'?? And what 'facts' did you find in my post anyway??

You barely even read it did you. Amazing.

Why don't you refute the fact that the USA produces GM wheat, soya, and corn? You can't that's why

The US produces zero commercial GM wheat. Plenty of references verifying that.

However this is getting off topic and argumentative now so if you wish to carry on with a GM topic there are other TV forums more suited to it than this topic.

<snip>

<snip>

T

No, thakkar, i'm sorry, but i don't need to go reading news organisations to refute my claim that kids are now dying before their parents. I only need look around me, talk to people i know, ask questions to real people and do my own research. I'm living in the practical world, not living by the stories in the news orgnasiations. It's a fact, many kids are now dying while their parents have continued living healthily enough into old age. This was very rare when i was a kid and a young adult.

You might want to believe a whole load of theroies and statistics, but i don't thank you.

The only myth here is the one inside the prison of your own belief system.

[smiling nervously and without breaking eye contact, Thakkar backs away gingerly from this ill-advised engagement...]

T

Why don't you refute the fact that the USA produces GM wheat, soya, and corn? You can't that's why

The US produces zero commercial GM wheat. Plenty of references verifying that.

However this is getting off topic and argumentative now so if you wish to carry on with a GM topic there are other TV forums more suited to it than this topic.

Whatever you say. However if one is discussing the quality of breads, which is the title and objective of this thread, then if ingredients are GM this is completely on topic.

However, clearly i've been warned off, so no more for me to say.

• 1 year later...

I used to eat the whole wheat bread you find ubiquitous at all the stores including 7-11. Now I usually buy whole wheat/whole grain found at Rimping, JJ's or Ludda depending on availability and type. The common one I still keep around as it works well with peanut butter & jelly sandwiches and my wife and her sister like it for toast.

However, the common one if I leave it on the table for several weeks it is still 'fresh' while the others a few days and they are growing things. biggrin.png So those go in the frig right away.

The mass produced whole wheat, note the Sodium content.

attachicon.gif20140712_125158.jpg

The JJ's/Ludda whole wheat/grain/etc. Note the use by dates.

attachicon.gif20140712_125313.jpg

Never mind the sell by dates and sodium content, you might want to check the sugar content of Ludda bread instead - 13%! Absolutely disgusting to put that much sugar in a product aimed at those who are trying to follow a healthier diet.

Edited by eaglesflight

Whole wheat bread isn't much better for you than normal wheat bread - just another over processed western product. Wholemeal or Rye is much healthier for readily available bread. Luckily, being married to a master Baker (I said BAKER) means I never have to suffer the crap that makes up most bread sold.

I suppose if one only eats bread products a few times a week rather than with every meal, it really doesn't make very much difference if there is fiber in it. We can get more than enough fiber from the vegetables that make up so many Thai dishes. Vitamins and minerals too. Choose your breads for their taste and texture rather than nutritional content. There are plenty of great ones in Chiang Mai!

Well said. I only buy my bread at one well known bakery in town and I do not believe they have the ingredients on the packaging.

Hey. Haven't you guys heard: bread was good food for hundreds, thousands of years. Before the advent of the chair. Now because we overuse the chair we no longer need to eat bread. In fact, bread is not only not needed, but also not good for us anymore.

Wheat bread is no longer healthy, the wheat you use now, is not what was used for hundreds or thousands of years.

Hybridized and genetically altered wheat is what they use now, with unnaturally high gluten levels.

Yet we are living longer than our ancestors.

Vegemite on toast is the secret, drowns out any "unhealthy" stuff in the wheat (or Monsantos grand evil plan of world domination).

I always get a chuckle out of the people who worry about is it or is it not good for me. As you say we have a much longer life span now so there has to be some thing OK with what we are eating now. I am now 74 and have lived longer than any other male in my family dating back 7 generations. The previous oldest one was my dad who died at 55. I have tried the whole wheat at Butter is Better and it was OK I guess. I buy the 7 grain as I found the whole wheat does not toast as well as the 7 grain.

I didn't realize that we had been making bread for hundreds or thousands of years as a previous poster stated.

Sometimes when waiting at the loooong stop light on hiway 1001, heading towards MaeJo a vendor on foot approaches the cars and offers bags of 'bread' for sale. These are flat and i thought 'must be naan bread'. I bought a bag at 20 baht, Never again as was not nan bread but rather a horrid pasty sweet and sticky flat disc of white baked dough.

There is a market for naan bread here and i'm surprised some chaps who wear the little hats have not sensed that. I see the big barrel shaped oven on wheels pushed through the city with attached work space. One guy makes the bread, the other tends the fire and mashes the discs against the inner wall of the oven. I luv em crispy and hot.

Sometimes when waiting at the loooong stop light on hiway 1001, heading towards MaeJo a vendor on foot approaches the cars and offers bags of 'bread' for sale. These are flat and i thought 'must be naan bread'. I bought a bag at 20 baht, Never again as was not nan bread but rather a horrid pasty sweet and sticky flat disc of white baked dough.

I think those are the same things they sell in Hat Yai. They are made from rice.