Harry Potter star dies hiking in Death Valley

Lite Beer

Harry Potter star dies hiking in Death Valley

Los Angeles - A British actor who portrayed the werewolf Fenrir Greyback in three Harry Potter movies has died while hiking through California's Death Valley, celebrity website TMZ.com reported Friday.

Dave Legeno, 50, was found dead by a pair of hikers in a remote area.

Police said that he appeared to have died of heat-related causes in the notoriously hot desert region where temperatures at this time of year often reach 50C.

Police said there was no sign of foul play and that the official cause of death would be released following an autopsy.

Legeno, who apart from being an actor was also a professional Mixed Martial Arts Fighter, appeared in the final three Harry Potter movies.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Harry-Potter-star-dies-hiking-in-Death-Valley-30238346.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-12

The name "Death Valley" is clearly confusing or at least not strong enough to get to the point.. Name should be changed to "Death Valley: THIS MEANS YOU" (in boldcase, for emphasis)

Anyways, sorry to hear this. I liked the actor (and because there have been no apparent Child abuse allegations made), rest in peace. Thank you for entertaining me through all those planeflights on Thaiairways where they were always playing Harry Potter movies.

Edited by submaniac

dave-legeno-dead-lead.jpg

Dave Legeno: ‘Harry Potter’ Actor Found Dead In California Desert

This is heartbreaking. Dave died from heatstroke in California’s infamous Death Valley, a release from the Inyo County Sheriff’s Department explains.

The release, from July 10, details that early in the morning of July 10, the sheriff’s department was notified that “remains had been discovered in a remote wash below Manly Beacon, west of Zabriskie Point in Death Valley.”

Because the body was located in such a remote area, a helicopter was ultimately used to transport the body.

“It appears that Legeno died of heat related issues, but the Inyo County Coroner will determine the final cause of death,” the report states. The report also notes there are no signs of foul play in this tragic loss.

hollywoodlife

My older brother and I spent a few summer days/nights camping out in Death Valley. I remember lying under the stars around 1:00AM and had the most spectacular view of the stars I've ever seen. Even at that time it was around 110 F (43C) and approached 130F (54C) during the day. My brother would hang a canvas bag full of water in front of the car radiator to help keep it from overheating. One of the tourist things at Furnace Creek Ranch were bottles that had slowly melted over several years exposure.

Just putting your hand out the car window driving through the day was uncomfortable. Sand and rock can reach 160F (71C) which I found out the hard way when I attempted to walk across sand from one shady spot to the next.

Sometimes, it seems that Europeans just do not recognize the scale and harshness of the American wilderness. I've been deep into Big Bend and met English youngsters still in college who were outfitted in shorts, flip flops, and single plastic bottle of water. Had I not helped them, and I and my friends were the only others around, they might have ended up as bleached bones. Death Valley is far more dangerous than Big Bend, and I cannot imagine how someone would head out all alone and put themselves in that type of situation. Totally inadequate preparation. These are elemental wilderness areas, not some English garden.