Night Spots ?

malt25

Is the midnight closing now being enforced everywhere, excluding a few privileged bars? It seems to be enforced around Nimmanhamin, but I assume Tawan Daeng and Infinity are still open (not my kind of places so I haven't checked). I gather that only Spice and Lucky are open after hours now in the old city. Are there any places that aren't loud, crowded and/or full of hookers open after midnight?

The last few times I've been in the city it does seem to be more relaxed about closing than it was a few weeks ago. I was in a bar last week and the police turned up at 12.30am and had a word with the owner, we were allowed to carry on but had to keep the noise down, I left at 3 and it was still going strong!

As to your question on quiet places, Living Room bar still does the midnight/morning shift, it's behind the Jack Van.

Well, I happen to have wondered around quite a bit all around CM. Loy Kro (never sure how you spell that) is what it is. Probably cost you 120 baht for a big leo at most of the bars there or in the boxing stadium You can buy a girl a drink for 150 baht. You can get cheaper than that, but that is what you should expect.

The catch 22 being that if your not going to buy a girl a drink, they usually won't talk with you (for very long) and then there really is no reason to be there paying 120 baht for a Leo and sit by yourself . . . . . . so that is 270 baht a round if (big if) the girl has some "class". If she doesn't she will slam her drink while your Leo is still filled to the neck and want another one and if she doesn't get it . . . . your drinking alone again.

Another option is the group of bars/clubs sometimes called "Yellow bar" or "Yellow in Zowi" I don't know how they spell zowi . . . Slightly cheaper than LK. its down from the UN Irish on your right if your walking AWAY from the mote. Lots of tourist backpackers: just ignore them because they are ignoring you and the Thai girls, most of the hippy backpacker guys are focused on the hippy backpacker girls and then there are Thai and expats on the periphery, like two separate worlds co-existing. I've met Thai girls there ranging from English teachers to the girls from Loy Kro. But there is no extra charge for a lady drink, if you choose to buy one. This place used to be more late night but since the coup it is open earlier, and now shuts down at midnight.

Enjoy!

Totally agree.

This is what I describe as expensive and nasty. The second a customer walks into one of those Loi Kroh Road bars, then the pressure is on to make the customer spend money. Most of what I loosely describe as girls will swam round the customer like flies around a cow`s a-se who is spending the most money and buying the most drinks And as you said, stop spending and you`ll end up sitting alone and treated like you have just stepped in a pile of dog`s poop.

I fully understand that these establishments are running a business and wouldn`t mind if they were providing quality, but they are not and I do not consider these adult entertainment venues as being good value for money, so I became bored and gave them up long ago.

sadly as i approach my final years, the bar hopping is slowly abating, but when i take my ferrett out for a gallop

i never buy a lady drink until a agreement has been met , generally speaking my good looks plus a smashing personality takes care of this, and the ladys buy me a drink firstbiggrin.png

my regurlar hang out was the notorious spot light, as i have nt been there in ages, is there any up to date reports, as i am in for a gallop next week

thks in advance

a nice evening to allbiggrin.png

Edited by evenstevens

Is the midnight closing now being enforced everywhere, excluding a few privileged bars? It seems to be enforced around Nimmanhamin, but I assume Tawan Daeng and Infinity are still open (not my kind of places so I haven't checked). I gather that only Spice and Lucky are open after hours now in the old city. Are there any places that aren't loud, crowded and/or full of hookers open after midnight?

The last few times I've been in the city it does seem to be more relaxed about closing than it was a few weeks ago. I was in a bar last week and the police turned up at 12.30am and had a word with the owner, we were allowed to carry on but had to keep the noise down, I left at 3 and it was still going strong!

As to your question on quiet places, Living Room bar still does the midnight/morning shift, it's behind the Jack Van.

I forgot about the Jack Van. Are they allowed to stay open late? I haven't been there in at least a year, but I kind of think of them as being a reliable late-night mainstay. Midnight closing would destroy their purpose for existing.

Well as a clue, it takes its name from the Nana Plaza and those in the know don't want all the other handsome men coming to spoil it for us.

There's nothing quite like being part of the popular minority in santhitham plaza.

I think the majority of us (including me) won't be spoiling it for you or the 100's of young Thai guys on the pull around Santitham Plaza!

Also, where is there a go-go in Santitham? I lived next to Santitham for 4 years and never saw one, apart from the little place that has just been knocked down and that was for Thai's anyway.

I would say Santitham is really for Thai's or younger guys and those that speak Thai, although nice to go for a cheap beer and look at pretty things!

Well as a clue, it takes its name from the Nana Plaza and those in the know don't want all the other handsome men coming to spoil it for us.

There's nothing quite like being part of the popular minority in santhitham plaza.

I think the majority of us (including me) won't be spoiling it for you or the 100's of young Thai guys on the pull around Santitham Plaza!

Also, where is there a go-go in Santitham? I lived next to Santitham for 4 years and never saw one, apart from the little place that has just been knocked down and that was for Thai's anyway.

I would say Santitham is really for Thai's or younger guys and those that speak Thai, although nice to go for a cheap beer and look at pretty things!

i agree. older falangs look ridiculous hanging out in that part of town trying to pick up students. it's for students and younger people.

• Like 1

What I tell my friends coming up to visit and want to go downtown for a night out bar hoping is that CM is a family town and it's a pathetic boring place after dark with exciting Loy Khrow as the falang night owl soon finds out. It was the same 15 years ago and still remains a sad excuse for nightlife unless you like old over the hill women 'entertainers', katoys, or sad old expats.

Stay home, save your money for the real action in the southern sin cities.

I tell guests the same thing to set expectations, but they keep having the time of their lives.

Also as I went out considerably later while the world cup was on, I was pleasantly surprised myself with the incredible number of young fun good looking people. Had some excellent nights out, as good as I ever had in BKK or Pattaya.

I'd post pictures as they say a lot more than words, but can't/shouldn't post in public.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

To follow up on some questions and still in the spirit of the OP's original post:

Closing times: I was in Yellow about the first weekend in July. The shutters on all the bars went down at the same time, I forget if it was 11:30 or midnight. There were people mulling about in the soi for a while but everything locked up pretty quick. But closing times around town do seem to be slowly pushing back, that is the feel anyway. Last week in Santitum, they were dragging the benches in at 12 midnight.

And about Santitum, it is a neighborhood, there are scores if not a hundred places to get a drink, no way you could lump them all together. Yes generally a younger crowd, in some places very young, 18 or 20. But there are a few spots there and around town that have (Thai) customers in their 30s and 40s and up. Not much English spoken at any of those places. Don't plan on chatting up any Chang girls if you don't speak Thai.

And there are a few places around town that are still open all night . . . . but maybe they don't want to be mentioned . . . . .

Good luck and stay safe out there!