South Korean tourist's body found in man-made lake in Chiang Mai

webfact

South Korean tourist's body found

CHIANG MAI: -- The body of a South Korean tourist was found in a large man-made lake in Chiang Mai's Hang Dong district Monday.

Song Tae Khy, 22, apparently drowned while swimming there with friends on July 11. Known as the Grand Canyon Hang Dong, the spot is a tourist attraction.

Pol Captain Chakrapad Songmoon, an investigator at the Hang Dong Police Station, said police rushed to the lake and deployed divers in a bid to locate the tourist's body last Friday.

"But the water is over 40 metres deep. One of the four divers bled from ears. So, the operation had to stop and we have decided to wait till the body floated up itself," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/South-Korean-tourists-body-found-30238453.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-14

This appears to be a legitimate accidental death...unassisted by a Thai looking to hasten his demise...unlike the hotel and condo swan dives that foreigners seem to take so often...

Man made lake over 40 meters depth??

RIP. If it is a popular tourist place where people swims occasionally , wondering why there was no life guard on duty or some on to guard or monitor specially when such incident took place before? Are there any warning signs any where near the lake?

I live just near this place. "man made lake" is not an accurate description. It is in fact a former quarry, as the report says, over 40 metres deep, with quite steep sides and no obvious point to enter. Its not like a swimming pool, or the sea, with shallow entry points that you can walk in. I would hazard a guess that its the same depth all over, the quarry has I assume gradually filled up with natural water & rain over the years, and its a scary looking place. Quite why anyone would even think its a safe place to swim is beyond me.

To be fair, there are serious warnings up that its not safe, I guess you cant legislate for stupidity other than for someone to put up high barbed wire fences or something similar. Just driving past the place makes my knees go to jelly !!!

R.I.P. young man

I quite like the so called Chiang Mai Canyon and I have been swimming there many times. Never had any problems.

And there is one area for easy entry, which I always use. Mostly for the younger backpacker crowd, it is for sure more popular to jump from the rocks. Maybe the poor man tried this as well....who knows.

• Like 1