Arrest made in long-running South Pattaya Hotel construction dispute

webfact

Arrest made in long-running South Pattaya Hotel construction dispute

hotel-6.jpg

PATTAYA: -- The 47 year old owner of a popular South Pattaya Hotel was formally arrested on Wednesday in connection with a long-running dispute with the local authorities over an unauthorized extension to the Hotel.

Khun Alongkorn from the Boutique Hotel in Soi VC Hotel in South Pattaya, presented himself at Pattaya Police Station and was accompanied by his legal team following the issuance of an arrest warrant number 274/2557 issued by the Pattaya Provincial Court.

A meeting was held, chaired by Police Major General Sanit, the Acting Commissioner of Region 2 Police, Khun Komsan, the Governor of Chonburi Province, Khun Ronagit, Deputy Mayor of Pattaya and Police Colonel Supatee, the Acting Superintendent of Pattaya Police Station.

The dispute relates to an extension of the Hotel which was initially approved as a 7-storey extension to the building but was actually extended to 11 floors and then 13 floors at a later date.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/135237/arrest-made-in-long-running-south-pattaya-hotel-construction-dispute/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-07-17

Glad to see this case moving forward. The illegal additon of floors, questionable construction practices and poor inspection practices will eventually result in a building collapse and death. Greed and profit, in some circles, trumps safety and compliance with existing laws.

blink.png How do you 'remotely demolish' a building ? Oh... right... with remotely controlled explosives, silly me ph34r.png

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/remotely

3. Faint; slight: a remote possibility; had not the remotest interest.
Silly me xph34r.png.pagespeed.ic.GOH20nhrx_.png

Good for them arresting him. Should get his attention, but who knows? Guess he just wanted to get up in the world. Maybe the factory collapses in Bangladesh due to adding extra floors might have somehow alerted authorities to the danger.

Quite a jump from 7 to 13 floors. I wonder if this was planned from the start and the buildings engineering designs

support the extra floors or it was a case of a crime of opportunity. blink.png

Quite a jump from 7 to 13 floors. I wonder if this was planned from the start and the buildings engineering designs

I am only guessing but if the owner refused to take it down, and got a legal team and was willing to get arrested, i am pretty sure building is safe from the engineering point of you.i.

Do not note City Hall always claimed un approved extension, not once they claimed safety issue, most likely the reason they were unable to shut it down or to break it down.

So in reality, Owner did not apply for a permit, did not give donation to City Hall inspector, City Hall Engineer and City Hall itself.

But, while many posters in that thread were confident that the demolishing would stop soon, according to a self proclaimed forum authority it was definitely demolished at that time

Edited by JesseFrank

yes quite a jump,with so many suicides in patts.from higher buildings,he wanted a piece of the action and with profits.

I am only guessing but if the owner refused to take it down, and got a legal team and was willing to get arrested, i am pretty sure building is safe from the engineering point of you.

What would make you think it is safe?

The real issue is going above 7 floors requires a different sort of permit. I recall this involving some hotels along Soi 8. Above 7(it must have been) and you needed environmental impact studies and some other things, expensive things.