Bangkok: 130,000 people registered to operate motorcycle taxi service

webfact

130,000 people registered to operate motorcycle taxi service

motorcycle-taxi-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Almost 130,000 motorcycle taxi drivers have registered with the Land Transport Department under the National Council for Peace and Order’s measure to regulate this public transport service to free the service from Mafia control.

Commander of the First Division Maj-Gen Apirat Kongsompong said today (Thursday) that all the legally registered drivers would be issued an ID card and an orange coloured vest each by the Land Transport Department.

He assured that there would not be any extra charges to be levied on the drivers besides the 1,000 baht paid during the registration. He also warned the drivers not to sell their vests because they have no value at all.

Previously, a vest can cost up to 100,000 baht depending on how profitable is the route of operations such as Silom road.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/130000-people-registered-operate-motorcycle-taxi-service/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-17

For sure the ones who paid big 'tea money' (to whom ...?) previously for their vest will complain about unfair competition... Wrong for sure, but these simple, though greedy, people were living in a country where wrong was the rule and right did not exist at all, till May 22nd... Maybe offer some money to them in exchange of intel (in written, undesigned, police records) about the guys/organisations they were 'squeezed' by...?

• Like 1

Forgive me if I have missed something, but I fail to understand how registration and a card will prevent mafia and other organised criminal activity that have it over the taxi riders.

Not sure but if the vest is registered to the driver it stops the vests being rented by the mafia to any driver they want, but thats just my understanding on the registration

Edited by kmj

Forgive me if I have missed something, but I fail to understand how registration and a card will prevent mafia and other organised criminal activity that have it over the taxi riders.

Not sure but if the vest is registered to the driver it stops the vests being rented by the mafia to any driver they want, but thats just my understanding on the registration

There will be constant checks of every motosai stand in the city to ensure that the vest wearer is the registered owner? Not likely, to say the least.