Visa Waiver Run denied today at Ranong

Today, my family and me (germans, 2 Adults and a one-year-old) wanted to leave thailand at the Andaman Pier in Ranong to make a visa run through Myanmar. We have a 30days visa on arrival or waiver or whatever is the correct name. It is still good until the 22nd of July, but our flight home from BKK is at the 1st of August.

We informed us before and thought it wont be a problem, as we have not many stamps in our passports. Actually we arrived in Thailand at 2nd of June, left at the 15th of June to cambodia. normally we wanted to stay there until 4th of july, but we didnt liked it so much, so we changed plans and flew back to Thailand already at the 23rd of June. If we would have known before, we would have applied for a tourist visa, but as i said, our plans were different before.

So, now we wanted to leave Thailand via Ranong, go with a boat to the Andaman Hotel and back at the same day. The immigration officer said, we can leave, but we wont be allowed to enter again. He said, the rules changed a few weeks ago and so we are not allowed to do it. We showed him our plane booking, so that he could see, that we will leave on the 1st of august, but no, we didnt got a chance. He said we should go to the immigration and get a 7day extention and then overstay for the last 3 days.

I looked this up annd found out, if we get controlled by police in the last overstaying days, we could get in prison?! So, we looked up the flight options, going to Kuala Lumpur, stay there 2 days and come back. It would be about 270€ for the flights for us. Thats a whole lotta money and we visited KUL before, so its not really interesting for us.

Well, if we do what he told us, we should pay 3x1900Baht for extension of 30days waiver visa (do the baby has to pay for the extension too?) and then for 3 days 500 Baht per days x2 adults, which makes 3000 Baht, all in all about 200€. And still there is the danger of prison, if we got caught 2 days before flying out?

I dont know what to do. Any hints? Do the baby has to get a 1900Baht extension? What will really happen if we got caught for the last days? If we fly to KUL will it be a problem coming back? Or is there no risk at all? And when we return on the same day from KUL?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if the hotel was closed, but there where many cars in the parking space, so the people go over there and do anything there,

What do you think about the prison problem? And does anyone know, if we have to pay 1900baht for extension of the baby visa? Or should we overstay it, because it will be overstayed anyway? But if we get "caught" by police and they see, that we have an extension and the baby not, will it be a problem?

Really annoying. I am reading since hourse and I am not so much smarter in this topic. If we would have known, we would have stayed in Cambodia.

There's no fine for children under seven years of age I believe. Also it's very unlikely that you will get stopped and jailed on the last couple of days of your holiday so just go ahead and do the extension and make the best of the time you have left.

• Like 1

Just as scandinavi has suggested, what you really should do is to leave immediately for Malaysia or any other more welcoming country, and do not spend any more money in Thailand. Then use BKK again only as a connection for your flight back. And make sure you write about your experience to the Thai tourism office in your country.

Unfortunately your other choice are these that you know already and nothing more.

Your suggestion appears to be motivated by a retaliatory attitude towards Thailand than an actual consideration of what is best for the OP.

• Like 2

Just as scandinavi has suggested, what you really should do is to leave immediately for Malaysia or any other more welcoming country, and do not spend any more money in Thailand. Then use BKK again only as a connection for your flight back. And make sure you write about your experience to the Thai tourism office in your country.

Unfortunately your other choice are these that you know already and nothing more.

Your suggestion appears to be motivated by a retaliatory attitude towards Thailand than an actual consideration of what is best for the OP.

But you too, after the introspective opening of your posting, are not saying what is best for the OP ?

- shell out more money to Thailand in visa fees and trips ?

- shell out just a little less but willingly break the law and risk being arrested ?

Say, what is best in your opinion ?

• Like 2

But you too, after the introspective opening of your posting, are not saying what is best for the OP ?

- shell out more money to Thailand in visa fees and trips ?

- shell out just a little less but willingly break the law and risk being arrested ?

Say, what is best in your opinion ?

"Every man must choose his way."

Do not overstay. It could be grounds to deny you a tourist visa next year if you want one.

- Change your flights and go home early. sad.png

- Buy the 7 day extension for 1900 baht X 3 and change your flights back home to match that. sad.png

- Buy the 7 day extension for 1900 baht X 3 and leave Thailand overland for a neighboring country then fly back to Bangkok on 01 AUG to connect to your flight home the same day from the same airport.

Does anyone know if it is possible to check in at Suvarnaphumi Airport three days early and wait for a flight? It sounds like a stupid desperate option however, is it possible? I would prefer to do that rather than overstay, however I do not know if it is possible?

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 1

Hmm. Problem with flying out to KL for a while is that most airlines such as Air Asia land at DM upon return while most long hauls fly from Swampy which means getting a visa exempt entry to travel between them both. I believe this has been mentioned a number of times on various threads.

• Like 2

I thought the idea was to deny visa-runs to those whom the immigration officer suspects of working illegally in Thailand.

Does the OP sound like a genuine tourist or illegal worker?

The words baby and bathwater come to mind.

ha ha they cant do that because using discretion opens the door for officials to make some extra cash hence the blanket ban approach

There's no fine for children under seven years of age I believe. Also it's very unlikely that you will get stopped and jailed on the last couple of days of your holiday so just go ahead and do the extension and make the best of the time you have left.

Children under the age of 15 do not pay overstay fines. They still get overstays stamps but are exempt from the fine.

You still have a little time to get things sorted out.

Part of your problem was choosing Ranong for the border crossing..They have been reported as turning away people with valid visas.

If you only have visa exempt entries from flying into the country you should of been able to get another one at the border.

I suggest you you check with one of the companies that are doing border runs from Phuket and see what they say about doing a crossing to Malaysia.

• Like 2

My advice make a holiday out of Malaysia. It's a great place to visit. Leave Thailand at Satun and take the boat to Langkawi spend some time there, boat or 15 min flight to Penang stay in Georgetown of a couple of night, bus to Cameron highlands , from there a bus to KL where you can book back to BKK for your flight home on the original day. If you have never been to Malaysia that should be an excellent trip.

• Like 2

This is the problem; how do border immigration interpret a genuine tourist. Given the OPs version, it would appear he is genuine tourist, which makes the situation idiotic really.

• Like 1

I would make a big stink and demand to speak to a superior of that officer. You are clearly genuine tourists and you all will return to Germany in less than 2 weeks.

That's not why the laws were designed.

You are not secretly working here etc.

Good luck!

My advice make a holiday out of Malaysia. It's a great place to visit. Leave Thailand at Satun and take the boat to Langkawi spend some time there, boat or 15 min flight to Penang stay in Georgetown of a couple of night, bus to Cameron highlands , from there a bus to KL where you can book back to BKK for your flight home on the original day. If you have never been to Malaysia that should be an excellent trip.

Ive taken that flight a couple of times , 15-20 minutes or 3 hours on the boat. If you go at the right time of year the flight costs about a Tenner. Malaysia is a lovely country

Do not overstay. It could be grounds to deny you a tourist visa next year if you want one.

- Change your flights and go home early. sad.png

- Buy the 7 day extension for 1900 baht X 3 and change your flights back home to match that. sad.png

- Buy the 7 day extension for 1900 baht X 3 and leave Thailand overland for a neighboring country then fly back to Bangkok on 01 AUG to connect to your flight home the same day from the same airport.

Does anyone know if it is possible to check in at Suvarnaphumi Airport three days early and wait for a flight? It sounds like a stupid desperate option however, is it possible? I would prefer to do that rather than overstay, however I do not know if it is possible?

No, his family should not live at the airport for 3 days.

• Like 1

Ive taken that flight a couple of times , 15-20 minutes or 3 hours on the boat. If you go at the right time of year the flight costs about a Tenner. Malaysia is a lovely country

Yes it's a nice flight. I booked firefly and it was very cheap. I think there is firefly flight Phuket-Penang so the OP could skip Langkawi and go straight there.

Yes it's a nice flight. I booked firefly and it was very cheap. I think there is firefly flight Phuket-Penang so the OP could skip Langkawi and go straight there.

Yes I think they Fly Monday , Wednesday ,Friday , 1 a day

Penang is definitely ok for a few , Georgetown is best seen on a Sunday morning Minus the traffic , they stop traffic going into the centre of Georgetown on a Sunday Morning now