Second entry on Double Entry Tourist Visa - advice needed

I got a Double Entry Tourist Visa from Vientiane, Laos, 6 weeks ago. I am planning on extending the visa by 30 days at Phuket immigration office. My current stamp expires at the beginning of August, so assuming I get an extension, my next stamp would be valid until the beginning of September.

What is the best way for me to activate the second half of my Tourist Visa?

Should I try to get the second half before August the 12th to increase my chances of getting back into Thailand?

how many back to back visa and exemptions do u have previous to this visa?

Maybe 1-2 Double Tourist Visas and 3-4 exemptions. Plus several more in my previous passport, if they are checking historic records.

Thanks ubonjoe.

If I do my second entry before August the 12th, I would only have a few weeks to plan ahead - booking flights etc. But I will certainly keep checking the latest reports on thaivisa.

Would it kill you to spend a week in Cambodia? Laos? Burma? Malaysia? Real tourists actually spend more than 20 minutes in those countries and survive quite well. I am really confident if you stayed awhile, you would have no probs.

'nuff said

~

• Like 2

Would it kill you to spend a week in Cambodia? Laos? Burma? Malaysia? Real tourists actually spend more than 20 minutes in those countries and survive quite well. I am really confident if you stayed awhile, you would have no probs.

'nuff said

~

My Thai girlfriend might kill me ... and no, I have no intention of marrying her right now.

• Like 2

'nuff said

~

My Thai girlfriend might kill me ... and no, I have no intention of marrying her right now.

If it helps, I have a similar history, and utilizing my second entry into Thailand via air... Can let you know in 3 days how this goes...and if I was asked for anything. Staying 2 days shopping/sightseeing, out of Thailand.

how many back to back visa and exemptions do u have previous to this visa?

Maybe 1-2 Double Tourist Visas and 3-4 exemptions. Plus several more in my previous passport, if they are checking historic records.

You don't know how many visa and exemptions you have? You can't remember if it's 1 or 2 visa's even?? Wow, when the IO starts asking you questions, you better have better answers than that. If I were you, I would not leave anything in Thailand that I wanted to see again.

@OP and slipperylobster.

I'm more or less in the exact same situation. I did a few exempts in 2012 and a triple TR last year. I went back to the UK in Dec and got a new triple 3 months later. So came back to TH in Mar. When I was back in the UK I only had a couple of pages from my 2006 issued passport so got a new one, fortunately as since I've been back all this as kicked off. I'm not working here and have money in the UK.

I'm due to do my 3rd entry after I extend next month. I did my 2nd entry at ban Pakard last month and it was a breeze. IO lady was very nice, smiling and pleasant.

I've been to a few schools last year enquirying about courses as I really want to learn and study Thai.

I'm under 50, and not going to marry falang or Thai for sometime, if ever! And I don't need to work here. I understand why they are doing this due to illegal workers and I guess I'm one of the guys getting caught up in the net, so to speak.

I have found a school that is offering ED visas (large 3 premises school so not a fly by night place), for 19000 baht until mid Oct. So now I'm thinking what's the best thing to do. Leave and re-enter on 10th Aug at Ban pakard again giving me 2 months, sign up before the promotion ends. Then extend for 1 month whilst they do the paper work? Or max out the TR visa until Dec and enroll with a school or go back to the UK and get a new triple in a month or two or come back and enroll with a school?

I'm lucky as I have the flexibility with my time and financials, I've been learning Thai anyway and was looking to study so I guess the positive about the recent situation is getting my butt into gear sooner! Lol

So guys I'm very interested how you get on, please post here or keep me in the loop via PM.

Ubonjoe, does the above seem feasable considering my history and that I now have a new passport with only 1 triple in it? Would a trip out and back via air be better. To be honest my 2nd entry i was a little apprehensive as things had just stared with the crackdown but the visa run company said, no problem, and it was a very pleasant re-entry as i say (a russian wasnt so lucky, he only got 7 days).

Thanks for any advice guys.

Edited by mxer90
  • Like 2

At Mae Sai at least no problems re-entering on second entry of 3-entry tourist visa today. No questions asked, they did not care that I had been in the country 5 months last year and 3 months already this year. The travel agent called the immigration office there before I left and apparently the real red flag at Mae Sai is if having serious overstays. BTW travel agent said that the idea of needing to travel around a lot/stay in hotels to show you are a "real tourist" is something they have never heard of, they said "of course you can be a tourist and stay in one place for three months."

OP, I suggest you find a good travel agent and ask them, mine was great, called around before I made the trip including to Mae Sai immigration office. Much of the advice floating around TV and other expat forums is speculation or specific to some immigration points.

• Like 2

In truth nobody knows what is going to happen and I think a lot is going to depend on where you go and who the individual immigration officers are on the day. But I guess we can be pretty sure that if you have a history of in and outs, 30 day exemptions, a lot of back to back tourist visas or overstay then you will have a problem. This is Thailand and nothing stays the same from one day to the next and nothing is clear and depends on an individuals interpretation of any law or directive,

I also just read that the Chinese are going to be permitted 3 months visa exempt from August 1.

Thanks slipperylobster, I would be very interested to hear how your trip went.

This morning I arrived in Chiang Mai from Kuala Lumpur, by air. This was my second entry on a double entry visa. With a history similar to yours, I decided to go ahead and get documentation from the hotel where I was staying. I also brought four bank statements and copies of an appointment letter for the US Embassy (for a Fiancee visa), Finally, I had a printout for a flight out of Thailand (Rangon Myanmar) to be used before the end of my sixty day entry. None of these things were asked for, but I had them just in case.

The first farang in line was pulled out, and asked to step one side and wait. Next, two college age girls from the USA were pulled out....even though they were pleading that their father was waiting for them outside. It did not look good. The immigration officers were getting down right serious. My turn was next...the third one to be reviewed. The officer, very studiously, paged through my passport. He kept checking the computer monitor as well. It seemed to be about 5 to 10 minutes of waiting, before he asked the older immigration officer next to him about my visas. The only thing I could think of was that I was going to get pulled out as well. The officer never even looked at me, nor questioned me. The older officer kept shaking his head, every time the younger officer pointed out something. I was just about to pull out my envelope, full of supporting documents, and also show 20,000 baht cash.

My mind raced, and I was mentally prepared for some scenarios...such as being asked why I was staying. The answers were easy...I was at the mercy of the US Consulate, who kept delaying my application for a Fiancee visa. We thought we would be out of Thailand by last November, but things dragged on. I wanted to take my fiancee on the plane, with me to the USA. Time went by, and we were finally disapproved for the Fiancee Visa just a few months before. My backup plan was to convert this last tourist visa into a 90 day O visa and get a retirement extension.

Finally, all the worry was for naught, as I heard the officer stamp my passport and then he handed it back to me. No warnings, or questions. But, wow...was I ever nervous.

Now I am free to apply for the conversion of a tourist visa to a 90 day O (and then a retirement extension) next month.

That's how it went.

I was in Kuala Lumpur for two days.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

In truth nobody knows what is going to happen and I think a lot is going to depend on where you go and who the individual immigration officers are on the day. But I guess we can be pretty sure that if you have a history of in and outs, 30 day exemptions, a lot of back to back tourist visas or overstay then you will have a problem. This is Thailand and nothing stays the same from one day to the next and nothing is clear and depends on an individuals interpretation of any law or directive,

I also just read that the Chinese are going to be permitted 3 months visa exempt from August 1.

Please show me the link where it says the visa waiver with China was approved. Also, I have only heard of 1 month being proposed, never 3. If so then Thailand would have to apply the same scrutiny to Chinese as it does with South Koreans who can currently get 3 months visa free - basically, no visa runs, not even one. Entry essentially restricted to air or if coming overland, that must be the first and only entry.

Please show me the link where it says the visa waiver with China was approved. Also, I have only heard of 1 month being proposed, never 3. If so then Thailand would have to apply the same scrutiny to Chinese as it does with South Koreans who can currently get 3 months visa free - basically, no visa runs, not even one. Entry essentially restricted to air or if coming overland, that must be the first and only entry.

It is a waiver of visa fees for three months; http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/743455-no-visa-required-for-chinese-and-taiwanese-visiting-thailand-between-august-october/

• 4 months later...

Doing the 2-day Kuala Lumpur trip ( flying from Surat Thani airport) to activate 2nd entry of tourist visa as well.

Any advice or experience with Surat Thani IOs on re-entering?

Documents/cash?

We are a family of three (one baby) with German passports and regular double-entry tourist visas.