I'm allergic to MSG. What foods here contain the most?

dblaisde

MSG is largely an urban myth started by a TV chef on US TV. The hype is similar to that surrounding recreational drug use ....just compare the reporting on it to alcohol.

the most obvious flaw in the argument is seen when you era;use its use is endemic in several Large populations throughout the world who show no difference to countries where it is seldom used.

Hysteria versus common sense and genuine evidence

Great, now I can believe you guys: The "china restaurant syndrome" is a lie, and that I cannot sleep, after having consumed MSG-contaminated food is pure imagination. How are your shares performing? http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/2802:JP

Look , quite literally millions of people all throughout Asia eat vast quantities of MSG every day, and have done for their whole lives, and they are simply not suffering any consequences at all.

If you do not like it , fine, don't eat it. Keep away from it. Just don't try to pretend it is dangerous or a serious health risk to make your own bad reaction to it seem more significant and serious.

It is simple: almost the entire population of Thailand has MSG every single day, and Thais sleep fine. Therefore don't include the vast majority of unaffected people in your campaign against it. Just don't eat it!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even here within the TV-Forum there are a couple of folks, who are affected by the consumption of MSG contaminated food. This is not a problem of me as an individual, but rather quite a huge group, when one looks into the amount of MSG is being consumed everywhere and every day, whilst most of the people not knowing the cause when they are affected. There is no reason at all to trivialize this syndrome. It may not be a serious health risk, but nevertheless it can cause insomnia, dizziness, headache and chest pain. For this reason this problem should not be downplayed, but rather brought to light.

Edited by fxe1200

Even here within the TV-Forum there are a couple of folks, who are affected by the consumption of MSG contaminated food. This is not a problem of me as an individual, but rather quite a huge group, when one looks into the amount of MSG is being consumed everywhere and every day, whilst most of the people not knowing the cause when they are affected. There is no reason at all to trivialize this syndrome. It may not be a serious health risk, but nevertheless it can cause insomnia, dizziness, headache and chest pain. For this reason this problem should not be downplayed, but rather brought to light.

That’s the strange thing about it. An inordinate number of people say that they have reactions to MSG, both on ThaiVisa and in the real world, and they are dead certain about it. That being the case, one would think that it would be a trivial matter for controlled experiments to confirm that MSG is the bad actor.

Edited by suzannegoh

MSG is largely an urban myth started by a TV chef on US TV. The hype is similar to that surrounding recreational drug use ....just compare the reporting on it to alcohol.

the most obvious flaw in the argument is seen when you era;use its use is endemic in several Large populations throughout the world who show no difference to countries where it is seldom used.

Great, now I can believe you guys: The "china restaurant syndrome" is a lie, and that I cannot sleep, after having consumed MSG-contaminated food is pure imagination. How are your shares performing? http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/2802:JP

Look , quite literally millions of people all throughout Asia eat vast quantities of MSG every day, and have done for their whole lives, and they are simply not suffering any consequences at all.

If you do not like it , fine, don't eat it. Keep away from it. Just don't try to pretend it is dangerous or a serious health risk to make your own bad reaction to it seem more significant and serious.

It is simple: almost the entire population of Thailand has MSG every single day, and Thais sleep fine. Therefore don't include the vast majority of unaffected people in your campaign against it. Just don't eat it!

Wow. Leave the guy alone. Is he not entitled to his dietary preferences? I often ask for mai sai pan chalotte. It works. Most understand, and are willing to cook without it. It tastes the same to me, without it. It is very possibly toxic. So is sugar, and bad oil, etc. We all have our preferences. I do not think the OP is suggesting that Asia change it's ways. But, we are certainly entitled to ask for a prepared dish to be prepared in the way we prefer, are we not? Sure, if you are eating at one of the pot stalls, you take it like it is. But, if you are not, you can request more spicy, less spicy, no msg, less sugar, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

To say millions do it, so it must be ok, is a bit peculiar. Millions smoke. That does not make it ok by me. Millions do heroin. That does not make it ok by me. Just because the masses do it, does not mean I will do it. Right, or wrong? Since when is questioning the behavior of the masses a bad thing?

That’s the strange thing about it. An inordinate number of people say that they have reactions to MSG, both on ThaiVisa and in the real world, and they are dead certain about it. That being the case, one would think that it would be a trivial matter for controlled experiments to confirm that MSG is the bad actor.

That has been done, one example: http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=15584

Wow. Leave the guy alone. Is he not entitled to his dietary preferences? I often ask for mai sai pan chalotte. It works. Most understand, and are willing to cook without it. It tastes the same to me, without it. It is very possibly toxic. So is sugar, and bad oil, etc. We all have our preferences. I do not think the OP is suggesting that Asia change it's ways. But, we are certainly entitled to ask for a prepared dish to be prepared in the way we prefer, are we not? Sure, if you are eating at one of the pot stalls, you take it like it is. But, if you are not, you can request more spicy, less spicy, no msg, less sugar, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

To say millions do it, so it must be ok, is a bit peculiar. Millions smoke. That does not make it ok by me. Millions do heroin. That does not make it ok by me. Just because the masses do it, does not mean I will do it. Right, or wrong? Since when is questioning the behavior of the masses a bad thing?

I did not say millions do it, and it so it's OK because millions of people do it. I said its OK because millions of people do it and because they don't suffer bad consequences from doing it. This is what makes it OK. It is an experiment carried out in every Asian country every day for decades. If MSG really affected any more than a tiny minority of people all of Asia would be showing it. They are not, so it doesn't have bad effects for most people.

In addition I am saying it is OK because all the properly controlled clinical studies that have been done using MSG, but not telling the volunteers whether they are getting MSG or not (blinded testing) have shown that these effects just do not occur commonly, and cannot be attributed to MSG when they do occur.

I do not like claims that are not based on science and that are scaremongering when there are genuinely serious health concerns that people can focus on. I am not saying all responses are imaginary. I am saying that there is no evidence that MSG is responsible for these sensations, and that attempts to imply with no evidence that MSG is a dangerous health risk are totally irresponsible. I did not object to this poster wanting his food to be prepared to his taste, I objecting to him trying to get people to believe MSG causes Alzheimer's disease on the basis of nothing at all.

It is evidence that I am relying on, and will always do so. Here are four articles - there are many more. The first is free and so I've linked to it. It shows that in a group of people who say they are MSG sensitive, no response to MSG was detectable when the MSG was given with food, if the subjects did not know they were getting it. Some showed slight symptoms when given MSG in large doses without food, but not every time. They concluded as did the other three papers that this syndrome does not exist for most people, even most people who say they are sensitive.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10736382

1. J Nutr. 2000 Apr;130(4S Suppl):1058S-62S.

Review of alleged reaction to monosodium glutamate and outcome of a multicenter

double-blind placebo-controlled study.

Geha RS(1), Beiser A, Ren C, Patterson R, Greenberger PA, Grammer LC, Ditto AM,

Harris KE, Shaughnessy MA, Yarnold PR, Corren J, Saxon A.

Author information:

(1)Division of Immunology, Children's Hospital and Department of Pediatrics, Harvard

University, Boston, MA, USA.

[...] an ongoing

debate exists concerning whether MSG causes any of the alleged reactions. A

complex of symptoms after ingestion of a Chinese meal was first described in

1968. MSG was suggested to trigger these symptoms, which were referred to

collectively as Chinese Restaurant Syndrome. Numerous reports, most of them

anecdotal, were published after the original observation. Since then, clinical

studies have been performed by many groups [..] Challenges in subjects who reported adverse

reactions to MSG have included relatively few subjects and have failed to show

significant reactions to MSG. Results of surveys and of clinical challenges with

MSG in the general population reveal no evidence of untoward effects. We recently

conducted a multicenter DBPC challenge study in 130 subjects (the largest to

date) to analyze the response of subjects who report symptoms from ingesting MSG.

The results suggest that large doses of MSG given without food may elicit more

symptoms than a placebo in individuals who believe that they react adversely to

MSG. However, the frequency of the responses was low and the responses reported

were inconsistent and were not reproducible. The responses were not observed when

MSG was given with food.

2. Food Chem Toxicol. 1986 Apr;24(4):351-4.

The Chinese restaurant syndrome: an anecdote revisited.

Kenney RA.

The Chinese Restaurant Syndrome arose from an anecdote of discomfort experienced

after eating Chinese cuisine. Monosodium glutamate has been implicated as the

causative agent. Work over the past 17 years has consistently failed to reveal

any objective sign accompanying the transient sensations that some individuals

experience after the experimental ingestion of monosodium glutamate and it is

questionable whether the term 'Chinese Restaurant Syndrome' has any validity.

When some common food materials are used in the same experimental setting,

similar symptoms can be produced in a limited number of people. Double-blind

testing of individuals who identify themselves as suffering the 'syndrome' has

failed to confirm the role of monosodium glutamate as the provocative agent.

3. Food Chem Toxicol. 1993 Dec;31(12):1019-35.

Monosodium L-glutamate: a double-blind study and review.

Tarasoff L(1), Kelly MF.

Author information:

(1)Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Business & Technology, University of Western

Sydney, Campbelltown, NSW, Australia.

71 healthy subjects were treated with placebos and monosodium L-glutamate (MSG)

doses of 1.5, 3.0 and 3.15 g/person[..]

The study used a rigorous randomized double-blind crossover design that

controlled for subjects who had MSG after-tastes. [...]. Subjects

mostly had no responses to placebo (86%) and MSG (85%) treatments. Sensations,

previously attributed to MSG, did not occur at a significantly higher rate than

did those elicited by placebo treatment. ... The present study led to the

conclusion that 'Chinese Restaurant Syndrome' is an anecdote applied to a variety

of postprandial illnesses; rigorous and realistic scientific evidence linking the

syndrome to MSG could not be found.

4 J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1998 Jun;101(6 Pt 1):762-71.

The effects of monosodium glutamate in adults with asthma who perceive themselves

to be monosodium glutamate-intolerant.

Woods RK(1), Weiner JM, Thien F, Abramson M, Walters EH.

Clinical studies of food-induced asthma suffer from

inadequate baseline or control data. A statistically valid, randomized,

double-blind, placebo-controlled, monosodium glutamate (MSG)-challenge protocol

was developed for identifying early and late asthmatic reactions in an

individual.

OBJECTIVE: We sought to determine whether MSG would induce bronchoconstriction in

a group of adults with asthma who perceived that they were MSG sensitive.

[...]

CONCLUSIONS: MSG-induced asthma was not demonstrated in this study. This study

highlighted the importance of adequate baseline and control data and indicated

that such a rigorous protocol for individual assessment is feasible.

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

I deliberately deleted the quote from Parlington, as I considered as too long. It can be read within a previous post.

That there are contradictory "researches" and "results" is a normal thing, especially under the circumstances, that the worldwide sales are around £11.8 billion per year. Every publication that glorifies the use of MSG, and not just consume naturally prepared foods, is most probably rewarded by the industry producing MSG. And £11.8 billion is no chicken feed, at all. And those guys have a very strong lobby as well.

Somehow it reminds me of all the advertisements in Thailand promoting whitening cream, and related products: they are unnecessary, may destroy pigment cells, but for the sake of the Thai perception of beauty, it also became an incredible huge market, because the bright skinned Japanese models will tell you exactly the opposite. Or think about the advertisement for alcohol or tobacco: it can kill you but buy it anyway.

And as long there are side effects related to MSG (did you read the post from this guy with high blood pressure?), and people suffer from it (I assume a considerably high number of unidentified cases, due to the lack of clear information and education about the side effects), clarification should be sought and not belittlement.

Edited by fxe1200

I deliberately deleted the quote from Parlington, as I considered as too long. It can be read within a previous post.

That there are contradictory "researches" and "results" is a normal thing, especially under the circumstances, that the worldwide sales are around £11.8 billion per year. Every publication that glorifies the use of MSG, and not just consume naturally prepared foods, is most probably rewarded by the industry producing MSG. And £11.8 billion is no chicken feed, at all. And those guys have a very strong lobby as well.

Somehow it reminds me of all the advertisements in Thailand promoting whitening cream, and related products: they are unnecessary, may destroy pigment cells, but for the sake of the Thai perception of beauty, it also became an incredible huge market, because the bright skinned Japanese models will tell you exactly the opposite. Or think about the advertisement for alcohol or tobacco: it can kill you but buy it anyway.

And as long there are side effects related to MSG (did you read the post from this guy with high blood pressure?), and people suffer from it (I assume a considerably high number of unidentified cases, due to the lack of clear information and education about the side effects), clarification should be sought and not belittlement.

For MSG there are no real contradictory results, every reputable research organisation or group that has looked has found the same results that I have quoted. Telling you the results, and giving you the journals and the sources so that you could look them up is not "belittling": it is telling you what the accepted weight of medical evidence has decided on the issue after 44 years of investigation.

The only people who say different are people who are not scientists, have not done the work, have not sent their results to be reviewed and validated by independent experts, and are by and large, unqualified and unsupervised in the statements they make.

If you do not accept evidence carried out in independent research centres such as Harvard Medical School, by clinical researchers not allied to the food industry, who send their work to scientific journals to be reviewed by expert scientific reviewers before publication is permitted, and instead prefer to rely on web bloggers with no qualifications, or commercial medical websites that are not overseen or validated in any way, this is a matter for you.

To me this gives priority to the least reliable sources because you want to believe them.

We are not going to agree, and this is basically a disagreement about how to look at the world and decide what is true in it, and this will never be resolved so I'll stop banging my head on the brick wall now!

That has been done, one example: http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=15584

I don't see a study at that link, just a statement about what the Chinese Restaurant Syndrome is.

For MSG there are no real contradictory results, every reputable research organisation or group that has looked has found the same results that I have quoted. Telling you the results, and giving you the journals and the sources so that you could look them up is not "belittling": it is telling you what the accepted weight of medical evidence has decided on the issue after 44 years of investigation.

The only people who say different are people who are not scientists, have not done the work, have not sent their results to be reviewed and validated by independent experts, and are by and large, unqualified and unsupervised in the statements they make.

If you do not accept evidence carried out in independent research centres such as Harvard Medical School, by clinical researchers not allied to the food industry, who send their work to scientific journals to be reviewed by expert scientific reviewers before publication is permitted, and instead prefer to rely on web bloggers with no qualifications, or commercial medical websites that are not overseen or validated in any way, this is a matter for you.

To me this gives priority to the least reliable sources because you want to believe them.

We are not going to agree, and this is basically a disagreement about how to look at the world and decide what is true in it, and this will never be resolved so I'll stop banging my head on the brick wall now!

Keep on banging, it might solve your problem with MSG!

Some of us could give a hoot about studies that may, or may not be paid for by industry. Some of us are sensitive enough to our bodies, where we know when something is making us feel ill. At that point of headaches from food, I do not need a study. I can feel it. No quantity of quack scientists in the world would be able to convince me I did not get a headache from the food I just ate.

Spidermike007

I don't see a study at that link, just a statement about what the Chinese Restaurant Syndrome is.

Just google it

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/UnwantedAdverseReactions.html

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20000619/does-chinese-food-give-you-headache

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/healthconcerns/p/MSG.htm

excerpt: "

"While "taste-essence" is of Chinese heritage, it was never accepted by the elite society of gastronomy where cooking skill and lavish use of natural ingredients are the essence. Today's version is a chemical compound known as monosodium glutamate or MSG and to me it does nothing to enhance flavor. Rather it gives food a peculiar sweetened taste that I find absolutely distasteful, and for some people it has unpleasant side effects.'

Ken Hom, popular television chef and author of numerous Chinese cookbooks, has a slightly different view: "Scientists still are not sure how this chemical works, but it does seem to bring out the natural salt flavor of foods and can help revive or enliven the taste of bland food and old vegetables...The very best chefs, cooks, and restaurants, however, avoid MSG and rely instead, as they should, on the freshest and finest ingredients that need no enhancing." (From The Taste of China)."

Study:

http://books.google.co.th/books?id=FtXnEc_HxbUC&pg=PT689&lpg=PT689&dq=Chinese+Restaurant+Syndrome++study&source=bl&ots=2SiW3OGzGk&sig=kjYtEaXZVCPcgnodURPV6QnPXN8&hl=de&sa=X&ei=9YjPU7vPFdSIuATY8ICQCg&ved=0COsBEOgBMBM#v=onepage&q=Chinese%20Restaurant%20Syndrome%20%20study&f=false

( "The conclusion will tell you, that there is no clear evidence in the scientific literature documenting MSG as cause of any serious acute or chronic medical problem in the general population" First of all, some folks do not belong to the "general population" and non serious, not acute, but unwanted, unpleasant side effects are not being ruled out)

It seems like you might not have a firm understanding of what "general population" means when used in an epidemiological sense. You might want to look into that and then get back to us on who doesn't belong to the general population.

Edited by attrayant

Most important thing to remember, is that most food you buy in the store contains not only msg, but many other additives, which may be dangerous. This, especially goes for Western Food. You will be safer if you prepare your own food, with fresh local items from the market. Western Restaurants are just as guilty as local restaurants about adding MSG, food dyes, additives, sugar, etc.

Locally, Organic Restaurants are best for you.

If you are allergic to MSG....prepare your own. Fruits, vegetables, meats, are ok, locally.

If you are allergic to MSG....prepare your own. Fruits, vegetables, meats, are ok, locally.

Are you sure about that?

409816624.jpg

And you can find more here. Yes, bananas, cherries, beets, kiwi fruit, peaches and just about everything contains that "toxic" amino acid. And in significant amounts, too. Cherry tomatoes have one of the highest concentrations of glutimate, at about 700 milligrams per 100 grams of fruit weight. Roma and salad tomatoes are right behind that with about 600 and 400 mg. This explains why we always see piles of dead bodies around the salad bar at La Sizzler.

No quantity of quack scientists in the world would be able to convince me I did not get a headache from the food I just ate.

Spidermike007

If you want to learn why correlation does not equal causation, this web site is for you: http://tylervigen.com/

I am sincerely trying to be helpful here. I know it's satisfying when we think we've got cause and effect all figured out, but in fact most of the time we've got it dead wrong. We see patterns and relationships where none exist. We think that today's sore throat was caused by yesterday's rain. A child gets autism and a recently given vaccine is blamed. How do we know? Do you really think "I can feel it" is a sound rationale?