Customs backup at Thailand post

I have received probably 50 international packages in the last 18 years. Packages with tracking usually are sent to customs the same day they arrive at the Bangkok Mail Centre and usually sent on a few hours later.

My package from Australia arrived at the Bangkok Mail Centre on the 15th at 10;30 on the 19th they posted that it went to customs on the 15th at 11:50. There has been nothing since then.

Yesterday I went to the Maenam post office and inquired they told me I just have to wait ,it is in the queue, I asked how long and he said there was a party on Soi 1 waiting for an urgent parcel and it arrived in customs on the 2nd and still not cleared.

It has been my experience that I almost never pay duty even though the items were dutiable I think they randomly select the odd item to charge duty and the rest sail through. It takes a bit of effort to calculate the duty and prepare the associated paperwork and this is work which is to be avoided at all costs.

I think what is going on, is that the folks who are trying to clean everything up are down there at customs making sure they are doing their job and collecting the last Baht owed.

Things will be piling up daily, heaven knows when I will get my goods?

And it was sent priority express mail too !!

"My package from Australia arrived at the Bangkok Mail Centre on the 15th at 10;30 on the 19th they posted that it went to customs on the 15th at 11:50. There has been nothing since then."

I forget the exact dates, but roughly 11th through the 14th were public holidays, so things would not have been processed then and everything that arrived following the holidays would have had to join the queue.

I've received hundreds of things from eBay sent from the US, Europe and elsewhere in Asia along books from UK, things from Apple or Amazon, gifts sent at Christmas or birthdays etc.

Somethings were charged duty, others not. Prior to this last holiday period I had 8 things arrive, pass through customs and were delivered to my door without any abnormal delay. I'm waiting on two things now that may have been a part of the backlog. During other holiday periods there has been a slow down too, but everything has always arrived eventually.

Edited by Suradit69