Tourist visa assistance, so confused

I'm a US citizen who is taking a hiatus from the corporate world. During this break I have been traveling and would like to travel throughout Thailand. Most likely from October to April, so 7 months in total should cover it. I'm financially stable and have up to date documents. However, the more I read, the more confusing this visa process gets. With the new guidelines I'm not sure what documents and articles are still correct. Would some kind board members please explain the steps I need to take or if this is even a possibility.

Thank you

You should get a triple entry tourist visa from a Thai embassy, consulate or honorary consulate in the US. The latter would be preferred for better service.

You would then contact them for any more information.

There are no new guidelines that apply to your situation.

Edited by paz

With a triple entry tourist visa issued just prior to you trip you should be able to stay almost 270 days with two border runs and three 30 day extensions.

However, the rules are changing and the new ones are scheduled to be annouced on August 12 (dream on) and nobody knows for sure what will happen. The current problem is with visa exempt entries and people that use them to go out and right back in. At most border crossings it currently doesn't affect those with valid visas but we'll just have to wait and see what is announced in August.

Check with the Consulate in Portland OR. she has always been very helpful and you can down load the forms with a triple entry you will need to send her a copy of your bank statement to confirm funds avaliable to support yourself. Google is your friend for phone number. Nothing to be confused about focus on a triple entry tourist visa and no worries.

Edited by moe666

A tourist visa will geive you a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at immigration. As said a 3 entry visa would give you a total stay of almost 270 days by extending each entry by 30 days. You would need to do the 3rd entry just before the enter before date on your visa.

The visas 6 month validity will start on the date of issue meaning you should not get your visa until shortly before starting your trip.

• 3 months later...

Everyone, thank you very much for your replies. I ended up staying much longer in Europe then I had anticipated so now I think I will only need to apply for a dual entry visa. I am back home now and will begin the process for my visa application. I'm close to Washington DC so I don't know whether its better to just go with the mail in process or visit the consulate in person. Obviously visiting in person would be faster however I've never been to an embassy before and honestly I'm in no rush and enjoying my down time while back at home.

I still have a couple questions that I'm hoping to get some clarification on.

According to http://www.thaiembdc.org/dcdp/?q=Tourist_Visa I simply need to follow those instructions and mail in the requested documentation.

From that page:

"Documents Required.

1. Your actual Passport.

4. A copy of your round-trip ticket or itinerary"

1. I realize this is in plain english but want to make absolute certain before I proceed. I need to send my 1 and only physical passport to the Thai embassy?. No photocopies. I'm a little apprehensive to do this. As a rule of thumb I was always told to keep your passport safe. Hopefully some others will have a similar experience to share.

4. I will not be purchasing a round trip ticket mainly because I do not know when exactly I will return. I don't think I will be there the entire 6 months and would like to return when I please (before the visa expires). I'm flying Emirates and am unsure if they have open ended tickets. That leaves me with providing an itinerary. I know i plan to start in Chiang Mai but after there... who knows. How detailed of an itinerary do they require. Will they be verifying hotels etc?

Now if all goes well I will be approved for my visa and be off to Thailand. Which leads me to more questions I can hopefully get a little clarification on.

Do I need to make a border run every 60 days and get a 30 day extension or every 90 days?

I've read that these can be done by mail? or you can hire someone to handle the specifics?

What exactly does a border run consist of? Do I have to leave the country and then can immediately return or stay out for a day or do I simply need to head to the closest immigration office?

I realize I sound naive however I merely want to make sure I have my facts straight. Thank you for your time and patience.

Do I need to make a border run every 60 days and get a 30 day extension or every 90 days?

I've read that these can be done by mail? or you can hire someone to handle the specifics?

What exactly does a border run consist of? Do I have to leave the country and then can immediately return or stay out for a day or do I simply need to head to the closest immigration office?

You go to immigration department to do the 30 day extension (1900 baht and I think you have to attend because they take your photo) and do the border run when that 90 days is up.

A border run can consist of hopping over a border crossing to leave thailand and returning almost immediately back to Thailand, this activates your next 60 day visa, which you then extend again by 30 days.

You have to send your passport because they put a visa sticker in it.

Just send a copy of your ticket to here and then write up a rough itinerary of your travel plans with an approximate return date.

You get 60 days on entry and then can extend it for 30 days at immigration. You have to go to the office to apply for the extension.

You can just depart the country, enter a bordering country turnaround and come back to use your 2nd entry.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for your responses. I went to the Thai embassy in DC today and thought I would share my experience.

Unfortunately I was turned down due to lack of required documents. I also received some conflicting information from the person at the embassy. I created a rough itinerary as suggested but was told I absolutely must have an airline ticket or confirmation from the airline. On my visa application, under "number of entries" I put a 2. My understanding is dual entry would give me 60 days which I could extend another 30 days. (I plan to stay from December - April) I could then leave the country, return and repeat the 60/30 process. The embassy clerk said that dual entry was 90 days total... I went over it a few times with her but she insisted that 2 entries was 90 days period. I asked about the 60 days and extending it for 30 but she said explained that immigration is a different entity and she doesn't know how they handle things etc.

I was also told that I need to write a letter of explanation why I would be leaving the country, where I was going, and what I would be doing, etc. I have not heard nor read anything like this request before. .

So now I have what I hope is all the required documentation, minus purchasing the plane ticket. I will confirm that and a hotel later tonight if I can.

A couple follow up questions;

If I get 60 days and then can extend for another 30, do I do that upon arrival in Thailand? If I'm at Samui, or Krabi, etc do I need to make a trip back to Bangkok immigration?

Because I've already ran into trouble and I will be buying a one way ticket, I want to make sure there is no issue w/ the airline. Does anyone have a link to a cheap bus/train/flight to Cambodia, Loas, Vietnam, Burma, ... wherever, that I can purchase to show the airline that I will be exiting the country?

I would also appreciate any other clarification anyone might have. The statement 90 day total for dual entry really lost me.

To add, her English was fluent so I don't believe there was a communication issue.

Thanks again for your responses. I went to the Thai embassy in DC today and thought I would share my experience.

Unfortunately I was turned down due to lack of required documents.

I think a good alternative would be to apply by mail to the LA consulate, or to an honorary consul.

If you want to stay up to 90 days get a single entry, otherwise double.

Edited by paz

I think the 90 days they were talking about was the visas validity of 90 days. Some embassies and consulates issue 2 entry visas with only 90 days from the date of issue. You can still get almost 6 months of stay from one but you must use 2nd entry before it expires.

You could but a one way ticket to nearby country on low cost airline to satisfy their ticket requirements.

For the airline or immigration you do not need a return or onward ticket if you have a visa.

After you have exhausted your tourist visa....if you like to see bit of other countries ...then fly to somewhere like HCMC. Go to Thai consulate and get another tourist visa.... Also iI cant see why you couldn't fly back to Thailand and get visa exempt stamp. You can then extend that for another 30 days. Check with the experts here as I am not one. BTW hcmc Thai embassy is hasssel free experience but you do have to pic up passport following day. All covered in another forum

After you have exhausted your tourist visa....if you like to see bit of other countries ...then fly to somewhere like HCMC. Go to Thai consulate and get another tourist visa.... Also iI cant see why you couldn't fly back to Thailand and get visa exempt stamp. You can then extend that for another 30 days. Check with the experts here as I am not one. BTW hcmc Thai embassy is hasssel free experience but you do have to pic up passport following day. All covered in another forum

HCMC is Ho Chi Minh City? I've been considering doing this instead of the 30 day extension. Its where I bought my ticket too. If its not too much trouble, would you mind providing the forum link you're referring too?

My application was accepted so now I wait over a week to pick it up. I was under the impression that applying in person was a faster alternative; hopefully no issues arise. The person I spoke to this time confirmed that each visa entry is in fact for 60 days and can be extended 30 days. I also printed out a brief explanation letter generalizing my plans and that I would not be working while in Thailand etc. I bought a cheap flight out of Thailand within the first 60 days which it turns out I ended up having to show proof of. They didn't ask for proof of a return flight home which I was very happy about. I will 100% be returning home by April however I was very happy to keep that option open in case I decide to return sooner. It will be my first time away from friends and family for so long so who knows.

For the 30 day extension, are there any specific documents I should print out before leaving? I printed out a couple extra passport photos and the TM7 form which I believe is what I need? I realize there are places to do this in Thailand however the easier I can make things for me now, the better.