Explanation met positive response from EU ministers: Sihasak

webfact

AFTER COUP
Explanation met positive response from EU ministers: Sihasak

Supalak Ganjanakhundee
The Nation
Brussels

BANGKOK: -- The European Union now appears to have a better understanding of the political situation in Thailand, but its member countries are still concerned and want a speedy return to democracy with credible elections.

In a meeting between EU and Asean ministers in Brussels, European delegates did not voice any criticism after the permanent secretary of the Thai Foreign Ministry, Sihasak Phuangketkeow, delivered a briefing on Wednesday.

Catherine Ashton, the high representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and vice president of the European Commission, who co-chaired the meeting with Vietnamese Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh, told the meeting that she had a better understanding of the situation in Thailand now.

After listening to Sihasak's briefing, British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond also said he had a better understanding of the situation but still wanted to see Thailand return to democracy soon.

Sihasak, who was at the meeting in his capacity as acting foreign minister, told reporters that the reaction from EU members was positive and indicated guarded support for the junta's plan to introduce reforms in Thailand.

"We showed mutual respect in the meeting. We listened to their concerns and explained why we need to reform our political system," he said. "We assured them that we will maintain democratic values while making these reforms."

NCPO moves acknowledged

The co-chairmen's statement, which was issued at the end of the meeting on Wednesday, allocated one paragraph to Thailand, saying that the Asean-EU ministerial meeting had taken note of the events in the Kingdom following the May 22 power seizure.

It also took note of the intention of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to return Thailand to "full-fledged democracy under a three-stage road map including the promotion of reconciliation and reform and free and fair elections within a set time frame".

The statement said that the EU, as a long-standing partner of Thailand and Asean, was concerned about the situation in Thailand, but noted that the NCPO road map underlined the importance of an early return to constitutional democracy and holding elections in accordance with the will of the people.

Now that the reform road map has been offered to the Asean and EU for consideration, Thailand is on a more solid footing to deal with the international community, Sihasak claimed.

"What we ask from the international community is time and space for Thailand to restore a sustainable democracy," he said.

Sihasak added that he did not expect any more pressure from the international community, notably the EU and other countries in the West, on the political situation in Thailand.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Explanation-met-positive-response-from-EU-minister-30239422.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-25

As if delegates would believe a spokesman/mouthpiece for the NCPO, rather than the flow of information coming privately from their unaffiliated sources on the ground in the Embassies, EU office etc

The spokesman has no reason to sugar coat things at all.............

Firstly the EU wouldn't be running around shaking hands, the West has an in built policy, that is free democratic elections , now there is no flexibility for other processes, it is all cut and dried , they will keep to this doctrine as it is easy to manage , however, even blind Freddy could see the mountainous obstacles being set up in the name of Democracy in Thailand , it was a sham, used and abused big time , everyone in the West could see what was going on, but diplomacy and proper speak only allow the straight and narrow to be followed. Unfortunately. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Thailand has the EU by the short & curlies.

EU is in an economic funk,the Euro is going down ,unemployment going up & being pressured by US to further sanction Russia which will mean further economic disaster.

European countries have a trade advantage with Thailand so they are only paying "lip service" to democracy.

Many sources I see the EU will fall apart as Europe has to choose between War or trade.

Germany will not go along with further sanctions against Russia..in fact there are rumours Germany will leave the EU & join the new BRICS system & as Europe's economic powerhouse Germany would be better off without the economic basket cases of Greece,Italy,Spain etc.

France will follow the next day as 90% of France's debt is owned by Germany.

The EU is hardly united.

What Thailand needs to do is all trade with Europe will be in Baht & Euros.

Edited by iphad

Hearing is not believing. Doing is.

Complacency is not a partnership.

Overthrowing thirteen Thai governments since 1933 really doesn't lend any credibility to Thai military promises and good wishes. Basically the EU ministers have said politely - whatever. Given the Russia/Ukraine and Palestine/Israel crisises, Thailand is now just a faraway distraction anyways for the EU; Thailand needs the EU more than the EU needs Thailand. Now with the Junta announcing elections in maybe 15 more months, and a military that is expected to retain absolute control over any newly-formed elected government, one may see EU's attention becoming more focused in a year's time on what real democracy exists in Thailand and whether their trade relationships should be re-examined.

As if delegates would believe a spokesman/mouthpiece for the NCPO, rather than the flow of information coming privately from their unaffiliated sources on the ground in the Embassies, EU office etc

What you mean is:

As if delegates would believe a spokesman/mouthpiece for the NCPO, rather than the flow of information coming privately from the Shins' PR agencies

I hope they start really understanding

• Like 1

EU is in an economic funk,the Euro is going down ,unemployment going up & being pressured by US to further sanction Russia which will mean further economic disaster.

European countries have a trade advantage with Thailand so they are only paying "lip service" to democracy.

Many sources I see the EU will fall apart as Europe has to choose between War or trade.

Germany will not go along with further sanctions against Russia..in fact there are rumours Germany will leave the EU & join the new BRICS system & as Europe's economic powerhouse Germany would be better off without the economic basket cases of Greece,Italy,Spain etc.

The EU is hardly united.

If you read the news today you will realise that Germany is calling for more economic sanctions against Russia.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The EU is hardly united.

Can I borrow your crystal ball?

How do you know that the information being fed back via embassy departments, EU offices and other official channels are different to what is being said by the NCPO?

I'm sure Mr. Hammond doesn't rely on the BBC stories. They will have the full picture, warts and all, of both sides, and know very well what the Shin clan was up too.

Has anyone seen the EU minister's notes on this Thai meeting?

If the EU choose to comment then we shall know for sure. If not then we won't.

Just like when number 1 cousin was FM. He kept saying how all these different countries supported PTP, the democratically elected government. But, not one single one came out and supported his claims.

• Like 1

As if anyone would believe the former PTP Minister of Finance who publicly admitted telling lies to the Thai people and the world in general or the ministers of Trade and Commerce who publicly stated that there was no missing or spoiled rice in storage or the PM who said that she alone was in charge of the country and her brother had no input at all.

Just imagine that.

The EU is hardly united.

If you read the news today you will realise that Germany is calling for more economic sanctions against Russia.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes I saw the news today...also saw the Ukraine government resigned..they are broke & in debt up to their ears & probably are having problems filling their tanks & trucks with diesel.

The EU has supported the US coup in Ukraine with a fascist government. & now the Ukraine is a economic catastrophe.

so any comment or position on their part re. Thailand's coup would just be foolish but the main point is the EU needs Thailand's trade..or their exports to Thailand..and all of the ASEAN countries.

I am guessing...but appears to me Thailand is on board with the new BRICS financial system..along with all of the ASEAN countries except for many the Philippines.

The BRICS core countries have about 25-30 % of the global GNP & along with many other countries such as Iran,Turkey,Saudi Arabia,Panama,Japan,Korea & many more...once they hit the 66% or mass exchange,

it's the western countries in North America & Europe that will be left out.

Meaning high inflation & useless currencies.

If Germany goes ahead with sanctions against Russia..although the ones mentioned are very minor feather sanctions..

& with the US pushing for war with Russia.which is because of the BRICS deal

the EU...although only Germany matters have to make tough decisions & are at a critical economic crossroad.

Sanctions won't work..they are economic war..that leads to real war.

Come september when it starts getting cold...& they need Russia gas & oil & as the EU economies are digging their own downward spiral..

Russia will be asking for roubles or maybe even gold for payment.

However bad people might feel the Thai economy is..compared to the EU countries there is progress being made.

Thailand is in a relatively good position..the EU needs Thailand..

not as much as the EU needs Russia..but that bridge is being burnt by US lies & propaganda.

Edited by iphad

Yes I saw the news today...also saw the Ukraine government resigned..they are broke & in debt up to their ears & probably are having problems filling their tanks & trucks with diesel.

The EU has supported the US coup in Ukraine with a fascist government. & now the Ukraine is a economic catastrophe.

so any comment or position on their part re. Thailand's coup would just be foolish but the main point is the EU needs Thailand's trade..or their exports to Thailand..and all of the ASEAN countries.

I am guessing...but appears to me Thailand is on board with the new BRICS financial system..along with all of the ASEAN countries except for many the Philippines.

The BRICS core countries have about 25-30 % of the global GNP & along with many other countries such as Iran,Turkey,Saudi Arabia,Panama,Japan,Korea & many more...once they hit the 66% or mass exchange,

If Germany goes ahead with sanctions against Russia..although the ones mentioned are very minor feather sanctions..

the EU...although only Germany matters have to make tough decisions & are at a critical economic crossroad.

Come september when it starts getting cold...& they need Russia gas & oil & as the EU economies are digging their own downward spiral..

However bad people might feel the Thai economy is..compared to the EU countries there is progress being made.

not as much as the EU needs Russia..but that bridge is being burnt by US lies & propaganda.

How about addressing the subject of this thread which is about the EU Ministers supposed positive response to the Thai explanation for the coup and not an opportunity to go on another anti US rant about Russia, Crimea, and the Ukraine

How about addressing the subject of this thread which is about the EU Ministers supposed positive response to the Thai explanation for the coup and not an opportunity to go on another anti US rant about Russia, Crimea, and the Ukraine

Yes probably true an anti US rant but my opinion was it was tied together politically & economically.

It was the EU that first stated their concerns of Thailand's military coup as in June it was the EU's statement that condemned the coup in Thailand

& included the suspension of official visits to and from Thailand and the signing of the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement (PCA) between EU and its member states until Thailand returned to a democratically elected government.

At this meeting in the OP "European delegates did not voice any criticism", meaning the EU is satisfied with Thailand's explanations & a better understanding of the situation in Thailand.

My point is was who is the EU to lecture any country on their politics if they are a democracy or not.

The Eu was instrumental in support of the chaos,deaths & bombing of innocent civilians in the Ukraine where a democratically elected government was removed & neo nazis were installed as a puppet government to serve the US agenda in former Russian republics.

This might be anti US but it's a fact.The US pressured the EU to get involved in the Ukraine.

The US is challenging & poking Russia to invade the Ukraine in response to Russia's contribution in BRICS that will see many countries avoid using the US dollar as a world currency.

The EU economy is a mess..they need trade just as they are being pressured by the US to further more sanctions economically against Russia.

The EU is sinking into a deep economic hole every day.

So my opinion is the EU needs Thailand & ASEAN trade to export their goods.

Thailand is doing ok..economically..baht is strong..rice exports will get back on track,foreign investments more stable,tourists will come back.

The military coup in Thailand has been very positive to the Thai economy.

I am pro Thailand .................& yes I am anti war mongers.