Ipstar And Tot Satellite

SNGLIFE

I recently had the 1024/512 satellite service installed at my Udon home (THB 2600/month) and I am pissed. I have been getting < 300k and occassional outages. I investigated and here is the scoop: :D

Although they advertise "internet speeds", those are actually WAN speeds. Their system works like this:

Internet > IPSTAR servers > satellite > My satellite dish > My laptop

When the tech tests the bandwidth, he is using http://speedtest.csloxinfo.com. When you call their help desk, they will tell you to download a file from a 198.xxx.xxx.xxx address. BOTH ARE ON THEIR SERVER! Nothing is going over the internet. It is a speed test between your laptop/PC and their servers!!! With such a test, I get the 1024/512 speed (no surprise here). :o

When testing with one of the many available speed test servers at http://performance.toast.net I get a consistent 200k-300k result. Of course, this IS going over the internet. Further, the consistent range and reports from other users leads me to firmly believe that they are using bandwidth allocation on the fiber international pipe. We are all being INTENTIONALLY choked at 256/128 when we go across the IIG fiber internet backbone!!! :D

Here is a diagram for those interested. A more detailed diagram is available from the links on this page: http://www.csloxinfo.com/networkstatus/index.asp

I had the top tech at the Udon office personally come out to my home to test and talk geek-to-geek. Everyone knows about the scam, but nobody is saying anything to the customers. He also confirmed that the IIG speed is supposed to be doubled this upcoming week. BUT, I heard 2 weeks ago from telephone support that it was supposed to have happened last week (TIT!). In any event, he will be coming back out (or I will go and get him) on Thursday to re-test. My bill will be adjusted to reflect the tested speed. :D

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT EVERYONE DEMAND THEIR TECH TO CONFIRM THEIR TESTED SPEED (TO THE INTERNET, NOT THEIR SERVER!) IN WRITING AND HAVE THEIR BILL ADJUSTED TO WHAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY GETTING.

If we all do this, then maybe someone will get the message that the scam is OVER! :D

Oh! And for the BitTorrent and heavy downloaders amongst us:

They are caching all the popular files on their servers (this DOES make sense) so that their allocation of the IIG backbone does not get hammered. This is why you get "blazing" speeds for those files. HOWEVER, if the file you are downloading is not already cached on their server, they will likely sense you are attempting to hog and may automatically throttle down or essentially cut off your (already miniscule) allocation.

I just finished reading most of the recent posts about Ipstar/TOT satellite service and it appears that everyone is being lied to with promises of more bandwidth "next week" for over a month now. A couple of posters report having "been told by inside sources" that a bigger pipeline will remain a pipe dream and there is no truth to the lies customer service is telling everyone - as a way to pacify the customer for the moment and nothing more.

Well, I will be marching into TOT offices with my speed confirmations recorded by THEIR techs and they WILL be adjusting my bill.

This country is ridiculous and it is no wonder why they will forever remain a lagging "wannabe" modern nation. :o

They still want me to pay 4280 and have been giving me 128kbs now for three weeks, this has now shrunk to 28kbs.

No answer to emails, no support no answer telephone.

The phrase "t**** of bandwidth" comes to mind here.

Edited by astral

Please watch your language on this topic.

I know you are very pissed off, but

some of the terms used, could result in a Libel suits for the poster and the TV forum.

Thanks

Astral

• 1 year later...

TOT Satellite is by far the worst Internet service that I have unfortunately come across, I average less than 140 kbps download speed and I a have been paying for a 1mbps connection, costting 2600 baht per month.

I have called countless times and they always say they will have a technician call me back, or they they tell me dumb things like switch the box on and off, or maybe becuase it is raining, when its actually a sunny day..

They will not deduct my bill so the only thing I can do is lower my package to a 256kbs connection which will cost 1500 per month, at least until my 12 month contract runs out..

Somebody needs to sue these thieves and liars, they are unable to provide what they promise and are unwilling to pay back.

My TOT Ipstar stinks so bad that I frequently use my phone and GPRS. Complaining does NO good. I have used 1024/512, 512/128 and am now using 256/128. I can see no difference except sometimes downloads were faster with the supposedly higher speed connections. All three work about the same as far as surfing. ALL stink.

I just finished reading most of the recent posts about Ipstar/TOT satellite service and it appears that everyone is being lied to with promises of more bandwidth "next week" for over a month now. A couple of posters report having "been told by inside sources" that a bigger pipeline will remain a pipe dream and there is no truth to the lies customer service is telling everyone - as a way to pacify the customer for the moment and nothing more.

Well, I will be marching into TOT offices with my speed confirmations recorded by THEIR techs and they WILL be adjusting my bill.

This country is ridiculous and it is no wonder why they will forever remain a lagging "wannabe" modern nation. :o

Funnily enough I am currently attending a satcom trade show here in bkk and the Ipstar tech guy told me they could do 4MB but you need a slightly more expensive equipment set-up

I've had TOT Ipstar 256/128 for about 10 months now. Until some 3 months ago everything was fine but now I get a slow dial-in speed during the morning.

Frequent calls to 1100 get an intelligent person but no action. A equipment fault gets same day action from the local guy.

Only paid 800 baht last month. Suggest everyone only pays 50% and we'll see if this has any effect.

Who is your supplier TOT or CSLOXINFO? you say you are going into TOT office but you also say the Techy uses http://speedtest.csloxinfo.com to check the speed. CS does power you down way too much. Infact when I had it installed after so many complaints from me and others they told me they are allocating 4gig bw per month at max speed. I used that up in less that 4 days!

I refused to pay the bill and said I would see them in court. they came and took away their equipment and I never heard from them since.

I then used TOT IPstar 1024/512 . Again its throttled down during the day and at night it was usually fine but seeing as I use it mostly in the daytime, I downgraded to 256 at a 1,000THB cheaper.. guess what? I am getting the exact same speeds for 1,000THB less

I have only been using the 256/128 ToT Ipstar and no matter day or nite its has always worked just fine. I use downloaders of various types and all have worked always anytime of day all month every month. I am going to up my connection speed If its a problem I ll just kick it back down to 256 at least I get what I asked for all the time at that speed. I was offered Ipstar from other co. many times before I got ToT, I didn't use the others because they always had some sort of limit hidden in the package somewhere. Like 3gig download then extra cost or limited speed there after, but the packages change all the time so who knows? I might add for the other co. at that time it was like pulling eye teeth with pliers to get them to admit to the limits, one thing for sure is some Thai sales people are vary well trained.

People need to seperate iPSTAR, which is a network technology like ADSL/DSL and not compere it with a ISP.

I use Jasmine at some sites, a lot more expensive than TOT but better quality, though I hear TOT is trying to get better.

Remember it's the ISP that controls the bandwidth.

And never compere iPSTAR to ADSL/DSL/Cable, compere it too VSAT, for example in Ghana I pay $850 for a 212 / 56 kbps VSAT link, here at my sites I would pay $80 for the equivilant.

iPSTAR is great if you have no choice, it doesn't compete though that well with terrestrial networks.

• 2 weeks later...

I got Ipstar with TOT but have recently built a new office and want to move my modem and respective cables to the new location: We went into the TOT office today in Buriram and they were most unhelpful, they could not find our account on the system they put the wife on the phone to someone who said get an electrician to move it, my argument is an electrician wont have the right cabling and two the dish is the property of TOT so they need to move it

Has any one got a Customer Service Number for TOT/Ipstar

I have had a look at the tot website but no success

Edited by macb

Macb

You can always call 1100 and they should be able to connect you to an Ipstar person if it's a good day.

If Buriram TOT can't find your Ipstar account on the computer how are the bills being generated? Or aren't you getting any?

Macb

You can always call 1100 and they should be able to connect you to an Ipstar person if it's a good day.

If Buriram TOT can't find your Ipstar account on the computer how are the bills being generated? Or aren't you getting any?

WEll I told them look on the Computer: I think because it was Friday and 3-30 pm they were not interested (Just before closing) Well an electrician came round today and he is going to move the cable and extend is correctly to its new location: However I know there are only 2 cables to move for the modem but I have numbered them anyway just in case :o