Are You Addicted To Thailand

Bluecat

I read another post on Stick's website, which I found quite interesting in the sense that I read similar comments quite a few times,...

I include only part of it but everybody can read it.

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Reader/reader752.html

All of you people out there that are currently considering a trip to Thailand, take note.  I read all the stories before I visited about people calling Thailand an 'addiction'. I just considered my Thai holiday as another place to cross off the map. How wrong could I have been?  I'm 22 years old, I have a very good job in England, I don't need to pay hundreds of £'s or $'s for a flight to Asia for sex, I can find that in a pub or club here in England. So what is it that makes me want to go back to Thailand with such a passion?  I honestly don't know.  It's the six million dollar question.  I no longer have any urge to visit any other place on this earth, South America?  Canada?  Australia?  Forget it...there's only one place on my agenda and that's Thailand.

Do you feel the same?

• Like 1

Yes, I do feel the same but still have not figured out why.... It s not because of cheap booze, I don t drink... It s not because of cheap sex, I am very happy with my Thai GF... It s not something in the tap water for sure, I don t drink it.

Some strange magic feeling about being in LOS, now I m even more confused! WHY?WHY?WHY? :o

I have been living in Thailand for quite a long time and it was not my choice but my company choice, so I can not say I came here because I liked it.

I actually refused to come for a few reasons: traffic (at that time), pollution (also worse at that time), facilities, administration difficulties and many, many other reasons,...

But after quite a few years here, I started to love it, for the country, for the people (I know not everybody will agree with that,...) but I am far from being addicted (this is the problem with addiction, you never admit it, so difficult to get rid of it,...)

Do I want to stay in Thailand? Sure

But could I leave? Not so easy but possible :o

What about you?

Got a mate of mine who never has been out of country, first trip abroad was Thailand back last October. He keeps telling me he doesn't want to go anywhere else in the world now, any other place in the world would pale in comparison. Me thinks its an addictive place by nature. :o

Me thinks its an addictive place by nature. :D

So, let's be more specific. What is the nature of Thailand that made it addictive?

The smiling faces, the nice weather, the love of sanuk (fun) by the people, the food, the girls (we should not forget them,...) or anything else, or the combination of all of them with a few other thrown in?

And why, if it is the case, so many people living here criticize it (OK, I know, many, many discussions on this subject in other forums :o )

Addictive because of the following items: Smiles, Inexpensive, Friendly People, Warm Weather, Beach, Water, Food and last but not least he's partial to Asian Ladies. His idea of heaven I suppose.

Dunno I feel much the same- something in the water or is it the Chicken? :o

I first came to Thailand as a 35 year old Sergeant First Class in the U.S. Army with duty at the TSC-54 Satellite Communications Station at U-Tapao Royal Thai Navy Airbase (1971-1972) and later was assigned as Station Chief of the Army Microwave Communications Station at Sriracha, Thailand. Lived in a bungalow in Pattaya Beach the whole tour.

I fell in love with the country from the first day. I had been assigned in Chitose, Hokkaido, Japan, Ft. Buckner Okinawa, and Clark AB in the Philippines B4 arriving in Thailand and while I loved overseas duty, the feeling I felt while assigned there was mostly one of "beats stateside duty". Once I landed at Don Muang, a feeling that I had found my Shangri-la, my Nirvana, overcame me.

I have made a total of 34 more trips to Thailand since my first, and briefly retired in Pattaya Beach (Jan 1995-Apr 1996). Married my present wife, the youngest daughter of my Buddhist monk on my 29th trip, and in Apr 1996, we moved back to San Antonio Texas.

I feel that I am "Married to Thailand". Now fully retired and only able to afford to visit my/(now our) kids and grandkids in SoCalifornia a couple of times a year, and take one vacation offshore a year, we ALWAYS choose to return to Thailand. We can vacation there for a month on what we spend in a week or two almost anywhere else, and Lat gets to visit all her family, and we have time to socialize with old friends in Thailand and make new ones.

I've been fortunate to have worked in, lived in or visited 39 countries in my life. Only one I really still want to visit someday but haven't already visited is New Zealand. Perhaps someday we will be able to take a RTW (Round the World) trip to include NZ, OZ (which is one of the only countries I'd like to revisit and show Lat), Thailand, and perhaps England (to visit Lat's favorite sister when she moves there with her new husband).

I belong to 34 Forums, many of which have to do with Thailand. Every week I hear all the complaints coming from those who have moved full time to the Land of Smiles about what the government is doing/changing, but since we only spend one month/year there, we are there long enough to see everyone we want to say hello too, and enjoy old and new acquaintences/places, but once we return to San Antonio, we can start planning for the next trip.

I'm afraid that IF we decided to move full time to Thailand, I'd sooner or later become just as disenchanted as those who constantly complain in the forums and I'd really miss being able to visit our kids/grandkids and their visiting us here in San Antonio. Living only on my retired Army pay and my social security checks means we do have to prioritize our wants/needs and IF we were to move to Thailand full time, we'd only be able to visit our friends/family here in the U.S. once a year and for us that is not acceptable at this time.

I know our philosophy may NOT be fitting to y'all, but it works for us.

Ken and Rattana Bower

San Antonio Texas USA

Yes, it is addictive. Especially if you have an addictive personality.

I have an interesting twist. About twenty years ago, I had friends who went to Thailand and I could see they were addicted. However, I wanted to still see the rest of the world. I delayed going to Thailand until 1998 because I figured I was likely to get addicted to Thailand as well, and wouldn't want to go other places after going to Thailand. So I managed to travel all over the world, and then I want to Thailand, and sure enough, got very addicted. And not unhappy about it either.

I still go to some other places, but I always compare them to Thailand, and they never measure up.

One late evening I was sitting alone in the skytrain and suddently realised that I was 100% comfortable in my new "home". Just sitting there and feeling like I belonged. It's a funny realization. Completely comfortable with the place, the people, the culture, the problems, the everything. I have later had a similar kind of experience in Changi airport in Singapore, although in inverse. An instant and complete realization that I don't belong there. That all the glitter and money is not important anymore. Actually, I miss Thailand when I am away. It's funny how things turn out in life....

ASIC

Hooked on Thailand, definately.

The last 5 years working in China was the first time in my life that I could really afford to travel. I had travel to Europe of course but I always thought it would be wonderful to sail down the Yangtze or ride horses in Mongolia, you know the adventure stuff like on National Geographic.

So I travelled in China, I camped on the Great Wall and rode horses in Inner-Mongolia, exciting stuff I thought but my first trip to Thailand spoiled all my other plans of travel here because I feel I am missing out if I don't come back to Thailand every vacation I have. Next week I have a week off again and I decided not to go to LOS since I am moving to Thailand soon, but it feels wrong, how can I go anywhere else, and I can't really explain why I feel this way. A colleague asked me why I didn't have the desire to explore the rest of the world, don't you have enough of Thailand by now, she said.

No, I haven't had enough. When I accepted my new job, no one was suprised it was in Thailand.

I guess I am addicted too. It feels good.

I live here "sabai sabai" :D

where else could you say that?

even with all the blablabla going on now ...

still, sabai sabai :D

don't want to go away :D

addicted, hooked .. don't know :o

I just don't want to think about any other kind of life, my wife is happy, my daughter too,

all this gives me a happy life :D

just happy to be here!

francois

This thread also reminded me that I'm addicted to this wonderful forum! :D

I am actually flying to LOS later today to settle there permanently :D

(i got a plane ticket, flapping my arms like crazy did not work... could not reach humming bird speed and i would have had to consume my weight in nectar every 3 minutes all the way to LOS :o ...)

See you soon maybe...

PENZMAN :D

This thread also reminded me that I'm addicted to this wonderful forum! :D

I am actually flying to LOS later today to settle there permanently  :D

See you soon maybe...

PENZMAN :D

Good for you Penzman :D Thanks for your kind comment. We all hope that your adventure is everything you want it to be :o Chok dee na.

definitely addicted :D

asked myself this question many times, why do I have this strong feeling for thailand?? I feel a happiness and a feeling I don't know how to describe (maybe like planes in the stomach?) here, I have rarely had anywhere else. Be it in the middle of Bangkok or on a beach in the south or in a village in the north, there's something in the air and vibrations that take you in. Before I settled in Thailand I travelled a lot and stayed longterm in several countries, but it did't feel the same, although I really liked most of the places. my friends and family from home (the ones who haven't been here yet) can't understand why I hardly ever travel to other or new countries anymore. For me it is that feeling, I don't want miss time in LOS unnecessarily, and I've found my 'place' already. When I have to leave Thailand I could already cry at take-off and i pray I will make it back again. Never had this before! Even I did not like it for the first two days when I first came to Thailand (Phuket then). Too noisy, too much traffic, people don't care about the environment, the plastic-music, etc. I missed the Caribbean where I just had come from. But then after a while my feelings changed...

Loved the Caribbean and had similar feelings for Bali, but Thailand tops it all!!!

Asked myself why???

my answer is, it must be the people of Thailand, isn't it the people who make a country?

THANK YOU THAILAND :o

Addicted to what mnrmp's defined in his own words :

"If the "Enough" concept is Thai, it is really a great gift to me. It has nothing to do with settling for less, it is acknowledging that a half-glass of water is Enough. I am even learning to accept a rice bowl filled only half-way, before it had to be brimming full."

Topic -> mnrmp's post

I have been vacationing in LOS for about 9 years now. I plan on making it my retirement home. I live in wisconsin where the winters can be brutal. I love going to the beaches but anywhere in Thailand is fine with me. It's a warm place and not just tempature wise . The people are very friendly. Well About 4 years ago my wife and I started taking our friends to Thailand. Now every year their is a list of people who want to go with us. Just about everyone who has went with us has gone back every year. It getting to be a problem for my wife since she is the only one who can speak Thai. She has turned in to a tour guide instead of enjoying her vacation.

I just wanted to give a few example of the Thai addiction. For me their are to many reasons for the addiction

being treated like I am some one special ( I'm not)

beaches

food

friendly people

good service

country side sceneary

Temple

massages

not to mention the price.

Just to name a few addicting things

The only thing that is not addicting is the crazy driving.

my wife is not crazy about the way the girls look at me. gives me a big head!

but she puts me in my place by saying it's not me it's my money.

but for a brief moment I kind of feel like a stud.

in short YES Thailand is addicting

American,

Although Lat and I live full time in San Antonio now, I was born/raised in Lafayette Indiana and decided very young in life that I did NOT appreciate snow, sleet, freezing rain, hail, blizzards, freezing windstorms etc.

We DO NOT go north of I-10 now. (Jacksonville Florida to Santa Monica California).

Since my first trip to Thailand (while in the Army and stationed at U-Tapao RTNAB and Sriracha Microwave commo site) in 1971-1972, I have made almost yearly trips (35 in all counting my original trip). In all that time, I have introduced Thailand to handfuls of friends who had never been to the Land of Smiles or even considered anywhere in Asia for vacations. Once they found they could pay the additional airfare but the total cost of say a 2-4 week vacation would be less than if they went to Hawaii, the Caribbean, or Europe, almost every one of them now spend all their vacations in Thailand.

On my 29th trip, I married my present wife and in Apr 1996 we moved back here to San Antonio. Now. living on just my Army Retirement Check and Social Security check, we still can afford to take two or three trips a year to SoCal to visit my/our kids/grandkids, and make a month's trip to Thailand every 12-24 months.

On our last trip in Oct/Nov 2003, we spent the first two weeks of our month trip with the U-Tapao Group's First Int'l Reunion. All of the guys in the group were stationed at U-Tapao RTNAB during the Viet Nam war at sometime between 1965-1976. Most had NOT been back to Thailand in 30 years or so. Every one of them is now ready for a second Reunion trip and a couple STAYED in Thailand after the reunion or returned already.

I've been in 39 foreign countries and yet none of the rest has impressed me as possitively as Thailand. I don't drink or smoke or ever butterfly, so I'm not the typical expat/farang/sanuker, I just enjoy Thailand.

Hope to meet you are your wife there someday.

Ken and Rattana Bower

San Antonio Texas

P.S. Please bookmark our homepage:

http://homepage.mac.com/mgnewman/KenLat/ and just page down the left hand subheadings to find a topic of interest to you, then click on the URL's within. We update it o/a the 15th of each month so just keep coming back to view any new URL's we've found and included.

• 4 weeks later...

dr PP...'royale with cheese, monsiuer?...or cheese from mother's milk?'

(a superb combination of dialog from 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Victor, Victoria'...think about Julie Andrews, Robert Preston and James Garner cruising the streets of LA and wasting people in drive by shootings...John Travolta and Samuel L Jackson searching the streets of Van Nuys for a 'dead negro storage area' and singing 'Le Jazz Hot'...)

tutsi...you are a genius...