lowering asking price of real estate agencies

tomtom345

In Jomtien I made an offer of just over 50% of the usual monthly asking price for a 1-year contract in my condo, which was accepted and continued for a second year.

I don't know about other parts of Thailand (and I don't care) but many asking prices in Pattaya are insanely high. You have little to lose by offering low as there are hundreds more empty condos looking for tenants.

• Like 1

In Jomtien I made an offer of just over 50% of the usual monthly asking price for a 1-year contract in my condo, which was accepted and continued for a second year.

I don't know about other parts of Thailand (and I don't care) but many asking prices in Pattaya are insanely high. You have little to lose by offering low as there are hundreds more empty condos looking for tenants.

Insanely high is correct.I had 2 examples when I first tried to rent a condo here in 2012.After spending a looooooong time searching for something that I would be happy with,I contacted the property agent.

In both those cases the landlords suddenly wanted 5.000 baht more pr. month when I showed my interest.Happy to say that one of this condos is still unoccupied 18 months later...........greed and stupidity !!

Later this year I will be on a search again when my current lease is up,but I don`t hold my breath that the rental prices will come down,though.

Edited by Yahooka

so if the asking price is 10k for a studio condo in the darkside i can easily negotiate the price down to 6k-8k baht right?

It depends on what the studio and building are like, but you can get a decent studio condo just a couple of minutes walk from the beach in the most central part of Jomtien for 10K, so I certainly would not even think about paying that price to be on the darkside (personally I wouldn't live on the darkside at any price, but that's another topic).

How easy it will be to get a sensible price will depend on how sensible the owner is. If the first one isn't interested, just try another. There are many more empty units than there are tenants for them.

You are not going to get much off an already lowish asking price.

I have been in my place for about 5 years and no increase in that time,big place and I mean big,two seperate bedrooms a/c etc central location ,so in real terms with my income rising in the UK its free. The owner has asked this time for a small increase which by charity I will say yes to.

It is the owners who think a turnips going to turn up and wipe away all the lost income over a year or two. The owners are in for a thin time here in Pattaya, that is easy to see

You could also ask for a few additional extras ,something like a free delivered cooked breakfast for one,see how you stand with that one

thx everyone for your'e informative answers , they are very helpfull .

so if the asking price is 10k for a studio condo in the darkside i can easily negotiate the price down to 6k-8k baht right?

Give it a shot. Easier to do if you are negotiating directly with the owner. It depends on you also, is cost a higher priority or being in the best location, in a secure building, etc.

I've got a place in The Pride, just behind The Avenue. Two beds, both en-suite with seperate wc and the building is excellent, really, really well looked after. Usually goes for THB 35k but I'm always prepared to drop a few k depending on length of stay. It's always worth asking.