New Ridiculous Laws?!

nikster

I was passed along a sort of press release today about big bikes that was absolutely ridiculous. Google translate of a Thai document, so not 100% accurate but it seemed to say

- big bikes are considered the same as scooters, stay in the left lane or the motorcycle lane

- big bike riding in groups need official approval for group ride from some official ministry blah blah

- big bikes are expensive and people who ride them are rich and they think they can get away with anything and we'll show them that's not the case (ok I made that up but the whole thing sounded like that...)

Because this is TV: This was not targeted at foreigners, obviously. Just big bikes in general.

My guess is it's part of the law enforcement spree and will be gone again at the latest when the military government is gone. It just fits with the general idea that laws must be enforced, see the other traffic crackdowns, the big bikes in underpass crackdown, the phuked beach razings, the custom fee enforcement (which was quickly taken down).

Since there are indeed quite a few rich Thais riding expensive big bikes I can only hope they band together and form some sort of lobby. Clearly these laws can't be enforced 100% because if they are big bikes would instantly become useless, and the big bike market in Thailand would collapse, and Honda et. al won't let that happen. Still. <deleted>.

• Like 1

Come to think of it, I have the document even if my Thai isn't good enough to decipher it. Here it is:

นายอัฌษไธค์ รัตนดิลก ณ ภูเก็ต อธิบดีกรมการขนส่งทางบก (ขบ.) เปิดเผยว่า จากข้อมูลสถิติการจดทะเบียนของรถจักรยานยนต์ที่มีเครื่องยนต์ขนาดใหญ่ตั้งแต่ 800 ซีซี-1,800 ซีซี มียอดการจดทะเบียนรวมสะสมแยกเป็นป้ายแดงจำนวน 6,720,079 คัน และป้ายขาว 8,209,334 คัน ทั้งนี้หากพิจารณาตามสัดส่วนแล้วการจดทะเบียนของรถจักรยานยนต์ในลักษณะดังกล่าวมีแนวโน้มเพิ่มขึ้นแบบทวีคูณทุกปี เพราะเป็นค่านิยมของกลุ่มคนที่มีฐานะในประเทศไทยเนื่องจากรถเหล่านี้จะมีราคาแพง และจะไม่ใช้ในการปกติ แต่จะนิยมขี่กันไปเป็นกลุ่ม และมีชมรมเฉพาะ สำหรับการจดทะเบียนนั้นจะต้องดำเนินการทุกอย่างเหมือนรถจักรยานยนต์คันเล็กทั่วไปโดยกฎหมายกำหนดให้ชำระค่าภาษีประจำปีเพียงปีละ 100 บาทเท่านั้น ส่วนการทำใบขับขี่ก็ทำในลักษณะประเภทบุคคลธรรมดา แต่ในส่วนของการเสียภาษีการนำเข้านั้นจะต้องผ่านการตรวจสอบจากหน่วยงานที่เกี่ยวข้องว่านำเข้ามาอย่างถูกต้องตามกฎหมายหรือไม่
ด้าน พล.ต.ต.จิรสันต์ แก้วแสงเอก ผู้บังคับการตำรวจจราจร(ผบก.จร.) กล่าวถึงสิทธิบนท้องถนน รถเหล่านี้ควรจะปฏิบัติตัวอย่างไร เมื่อใช้ถนนซึ่งขึ้นชื่อว่าเป็นของส่วนรวม ว่า รถในลักษณะดังกล่าวจะต้องปฏิบัติตามกฎหมายจราจร พ.ร.บ. จราจรทางบก 2522 เหมือนรถจักรยานยนต์ขนาดเล็กทุกประการดังนี้ คือ ลักษณะการขี่จะต้องชิดขอบทางด้านซ้ายถึงแม้ว่ารถจะมีขนาดใหญ่ก็ไม่สามารถวิ่งบนทางด่วน หรือเลนขวาสุดได้ แม้ส่วนควบสภาพรถจะต้องมั่นคงแข็งแรงมีการจดทะเบียนอย่างถูกต้อง ติดแผ่นป้ายทะเบียนชัดเจนสามารถมองเห็นได้ จะต้องไม่มีเสียงดังเกิน 95 เดซิเบล และที่สำคัญไปกว่านั้นเมื่อออกมาวิ่งบนถนนจะต้องไม่สร้างความเดือดร้อนให้แก่ประชาชน ทั้งนี้หากพบว่ารถเหล่านี้วิ่งขวาสุด หรือวิ่งในช่องทางด่วนจะต้องถูกดำเนินการจับปรับตามที่กฎหมายกำหนดปรับ 4001,000 บาท ในกรณีที่ตรวจสอบแล้วพบว่าไม่ชำระภาษีปรับ 2,000 บาท แต่ทั้งนี้หากจะมีการวิ่งเป็นขบวนเพื่อไปทำกิจกรรมต่าง ๆ ในลักษณะการขี่ไปแบบกลุ่มก้อนจะต้องมีการขออนุญาตจากเจ้าพนักงานจราจรตามคำสั่งกระทรวงมหาดไทย ซึ่งผู้ที่จะสามารถอนุญาตจะต้องเป็นผู้บัญชาการตำรวจนครบาล ผู้บังคับการตำรวจจราจรหรือผู้ที่ได้รับมอบหมายเท่านั้น หากมีการฝ่าฝืนเคลื่อนขบวนโดยพลการจะต้องถูกปรับ 500 บาทเช่นกัน
ท้ายที่สุดแล้วถึงแม้ว่ารถจักรยานยนต์จะมีขนาดใหญ่ ราคาแพง คนขี่มาดเท่จนบาดตาบาดใจเพียงใด แต่เมื่อนำมาขี่บนท้องถนนก็มีสิทธิเท่ามอเตอร์ไซค์ธรรมดา ที่สำคัญหากเกิดอุบัติเหตุบนท้องถนน โอกาสเจ็บตายไม่ต่างกัน ฉะนั้นโปรดขับขี่ด้วยความระมัดระวัง รักษากฎเป็นดีที่สุด.
ปวีณรัตน์ เฟื่องสีไหม /รายงาน ข่าวเดลินิวส์

The funny thing is, none of these laws are new, they just weren't enforced often. On my daily Bkk commutes I still these 'new' laws being broken even at manned junctions and no one gives a toss.

Still funny to see the long lines of motorbikes between cars now, not daring to cross the white line. Then you get to the next light and everyone is over the white line. It seems some lights are more 'equal' than others.

I still use the under/over passes that I'm not supposed to, as does everyone else and I see no police enforcement at all. It appears to me all they have done is put up a few posters at major junctions and left it at that.

This looks more like rough minutes of a meeting. SOmeone said bikes must be taxed and the rate. Another pointed out that they were covered by the laws of small motorcycles and thus had to obey those. It also stated that groups have to get a permit..presumably so they do not have to ride in single file on the left. Someone else pointed out that accidents can happen and hurt. It looks very much to me like a discussion of a group not a press anouncement,.

The funny thing is, none of these laws are new, they just weren't enforced often. On my daily Bkk commutes I still these 'new' laws being broken even at manned junctions and no one gives a toss.

Still funny to see the long lines of motorbikes between cars now, not daring to cross the white line. Then you get to the next light and everyone is over the white line. It seems some lights are more 'equal' than others.

I still use the under/over passes that I'm not supposed to, as does everyone else and I see no police enforcement at all. It appears to me all they have done is put up a few posters at major junctions and left it at that.

Yes it seems the police are somehow at a loose end at the moment, at a guess it seems the new sheriff has given them an order not to extort money from from passing motorists or motorcycles and to give out official fines, maybe an effort to try and clean their image or reputation if thats possible,

The only motivation they had before was the money for mianoys or whatever, i dont see them running out into the traffic anymore to get motocycs for not being in the left lane even,

Last week i got stopped on the motorbike but the bib would,nt tell me the reason why, as luck would have it at that point i was even in the left lane,

while there i aslo seen them stop a 150 watercooled kawasaki, the only one wearing a helmet was the rider...the 2 infants jammed between him and the woman on the back wore no helmets but they just had a quick word with them and let them leave,

strange times we are in

Edited by tingtongfarang

As a practical matter the only real difference I've noticed since the "crackdown" is bikes stopping behind the line at traffic lights. I've been doing it too, mostly, but I'm not going to stop using overpasses or start riding in the left lane.

A funny side note is I noticed a huge sign at the NIDA intersection in Bang Kapi that translates to something like "Zone where traffic laws are actually being enforced.... really!"

As a practical matter the only real difference I've noticed since the "crackdown" is bikes stopping behind the line at traffic lights. I've been doing it too, mostly, but I'm not going to stop using overpasses or start riding in the left lane.

A funny side note is I noticed a huge sign at the NIDA intersection in Bang Kapi that translates to something like "Zone where traffic laws are actually being enforced.... really!"

Lol - thats refreshingly charming! Thats the old Thailand we know and love, good to see its not going away. A helpful warning that traffic laws are actually going to be enforced, some anyway.

There were intersections in Chiang Mai where police officers were running around waving everyone behind the white line. But not handing out fines. So this isnt all about collecting tea money.

I have seen that article too.but did not translate it.

If what You say is true, it is BS and it is not something official.

Worst is, cars especially buses and minibuses still drive like crazy, disrespectful and dangerous. They block road, lanes, sudden movements and yet, never seen police stopping even one of them and for 7 years here!

It looks like their hand can only touch the powerless and poor on waves!

Cheapest eco car is 400 k and yet a 300 k thb bike makes me rich?

C'mon, they are just trying to fool people and create a false public idea.

• Like 2

It looks like a guide on enforcement of laws in relation to big bikes:

There's a suggestion to raise the rate for the tabien/plate for imported bikes over 800cc by 100THB.

There's a confirmation that big bikes cannot use the expressway.

Loud exhaust pipes are not allowed - over 95dba is considered as loud.

The fine for not riding in the left lane is set at 400 to 1000 THB.

Fine for having no tax is 2000 THB.

Big bikes cannot ride in large groups without a permit. Fine for riding in a group without a permit is 500 THB.

There's a suggestion to raise the rate for the tabien/plate for imported bikes over 800cc by 100THB.

Big bikes cannot ride in large groups without a permit. Fine for riding in a group without a permit is 500 THB.

It's a news 'story' from Daily News that reports comments from the DG of the Land Transport Department and the Commander of the Traffic Police Division. Apparently, according to official statistics, there are 6.7 million big bikes on red plates and a further 8.2 million on white plates!!! And this is only counting bikes over 800 cc! And those of us on bikes in this cc range are "people of status".

Gotta love those official stats ...

http://www.dailynews.co.th/Content/bangkok/255354/‘บิ๊กไบค์’+ใหญ่แค่ไหนก็ต้องเคาพกฎจาจร

It's a news 'story' from Daily News that reports comments from the DG of the Land Transport Department and the Commander of the Traffic Police Division. Apparently, according to official statistics, there are 6.7 million big bikes on red plates and a further 8.2 million on white plates!!! And this is only counting bikes over 800 cc! And those of us on bikes in this cc range are "people of status".

Gotta love those official stats ...

http://www.dailynews.co.th/Content/bangkok/255354/‘บิ๊กไบค์’+ใหญ่แค่ไหนก็ต้องเคาพกฎจาจร

i dont think so it is possible.

I think it is the number of all bikes in Thailand not only big bikes.

Here's another big bike being stopped at Asoke this morning. I think it's the new Scoopy 850 GT

no helmet so it is fair.

Totally agree - IF they were being stopped for no helmets. I live near this junction and I see the BIB pulling over riders with helmets and searching them and their bikes. It looks like a random stop and search - the bikes are not even in the wrong lane and they are stopped at the lights so they can't be speeding.

• Like 2

Asok is also right in the middle between Klong Toey and the gateway to northern Bangkok to move around illegal substances.

Most "couriers" are aware and take the backroads, some want to take the fastest way.

• Like 2

Asok is also right in the middle between Klong Toey and the gateway to northern Bangkok to move around illegal substances.

Most "couriers" are aware and take the backroads, some want to take the fastest way.

Ah yes - I'd not thought of that. They did seem to be looking for something and were not bothered if the rider was wearing a helmet or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Im also a frequent under/overpass user but lately have seem some police standing part way along the tops of the overpasses stopping bikes where there is no chance to turn around!

Im also a frequent under/overpass user but lately have seem some police standing part way along the tops of the overpasses stopping bikes where there is no chance to turn around!

same here. they started to camp at the end of under and overpasses!

Nowadays a no no around where i live - Thon Buri side - but around Ramkhameng or Ratchanaphisek i dont see them often somehow.

Maybe it's just where I live but I imagine that during rush hour the traffic police are too busy outside schools etc to be manning overpasses. Between say 9am to midday are always risky times.

Maybe it's just where I live but I imagine that during rush hour the traffic police are too busy outside schools etc to be manning overpasses. Between say 9am to midday are always risky times.

Could be.. Around here it is anywhere from 8am - 3pm minus the few hrs for lunch. Seen some of them run out to stop a small truck and cause a 6 car pile up.. Well worth a smirk!

As for pulling bikes over they are moving around more frequently. I wasnt aware of the brown uniforms and had a look today but it was hard to tell if they were brown or just faded black.