Who's this elite card for?

The Elite Card is probably perfect for some people. And I don't see any reason for people to criticise those who opt for this product.

However, in the context of the general policy towards foreigners, it sends a message that may have unintended consequences.

Immigration rules, regulations and enforcement are in a constant state of flux and ambiguity. We never know precisely where we stand and this would seem to be intentional.

You want to avoid a life of uncertainty? No problem, half a million baht please.

But the more a person is independent and thoughtful, the more they would view this option as a bureaucratic extortion racket and the more they would be offended by it out of principle. And perhaps this explain its less than stellar performance.

To be secure and effective, monopolies and official gangsterism, should as much as possible be discrete - they should also be utterly reliable and front up with maximal credibility, to augment rationale confidence. The Elite Card breaks all these rules and then some. It is a transparently vulgar grab for cash. Which is fine when you're negotiating for territorial rights with a Mexican drug cartel - but it falls short the prerequisite élan one would expect from a government and thus is disservice to it.

REPLY From GrantBKK

Hi Christie. Very well written post even including élan and gangsterism, flux and extortion racket, making profound statements while at the same time promoting a questionable hypothesis. Do you really think the long game of the coup makers is to extort money from the 20 to 50 crowd? With everything that is happening right now in this country the powers that be decided to enforce current visa laws to sell a card invented a dozen years ago by the arch enemy Thaksin? You should be a fiction writer specializing in conspiracy theory.

The Elite Card is just an option for those who want or need it. The Baht 500K card option is fairly new and makes the card available to a wider range of potential buyers. It happens to be available to a select group that need viable options to remain in this country after the "crackdown". Don't be a hater. The Elite Card program has survived may deaths and is billions of Baht in debt. If your worried about profit from this program it will be another ten years before they could possible break even. I know a guy on his third five year visa and he swears by the Elite Card. He has never had any problems other than some of the privileges constantly being in a state of "flux". Nothing major just the daily massages and some golf benefits being changed around.

I have no doubt that the legalities of canceling the program saved it at least twice. The government and Thai Elite know absolutely that money will have to be refunded to everyone in full to the early adopters as the privileges were for life and transferable. That and the negative impact and losing face contributed to saving the scheme. I guess the fear of law suits from rich people around the world actually contributed to us having these conversations.

I'm an atheist to the extent that I don't even believe in the validity of my own protestations.

I never inferred, that the Elite Card would'd suit some people perfectly. To the contrary, I said "The Elite Card is probably perfect for some people. And I don't see any reason for people to criticise those who opt for this product."

My remarks where focused on the unintended consequences of the scheme, inasmuch there would be seem to reliable evidence or at least stunning coincidence, that it is a solution for a problem, manufactured by those who stand to gain from its proliferation. This is a fairly standard but ruthless approach in business and explains why every electronic gadget has different bloody plug. Why so many spare parts are differentiated not according to technical requirement but to force you to purchase from a particular manufacturer. And why luggage porters at Denpasar airport hide the luggage trolleys. It goes on and on.

Authorities so misjudged the sensibilities of well heeled travellers and those with multiple residency arrangements, to such an extent that millions of these folk took a look at the deal and rejected it. This is catastrophic.

I'm no elite myself but have spread my pithy assets over several jurisdictions, I thought that was normal for any person who has some perspective on the history of geopolitics and rudimentary investing.

There are companies that offer advise to governments and clients on such matters. It is a very competitive field with such players as Switzerland, Andorra and many others in the running. It is a game in which Thailand put its credibility, price and perceived convenience on the line, to the most influential people in the world. These people have maps and they compare their options.

There could be also a terrible earthquake which would make the Thailand Elite membership useless, a galactic war, a global rich capitalists' economy vampires' witch hunt, ... or maybe just a deadly car accident the week after having joined the Thailand Elite program... Everything is indeed possible, even if it is an extremely remote probability.

10 years ago I did not think much before to buy the card, and till now I enjoy the membership and its privileges.

And I can expect many more years of comfortable stays in Thailand.

Come on guys, enjoy life with the Elite card rather than worry and make calculations or improbable speculations.

And, after all, the price of the membership is not THAT outrageous...

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There's hardly a thing that you said that I disagree with.

Problem is that your remarks, didn't really have much to do with the point I was trying to assert.

Never mind, your approach to the issue is as valid as any I've heard and for some are likely to be spot on.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Elite Card is probably perfect for some people. And I don't see any reason for people to criticise those who opt for this product.

However, in the context of the general policy towards foreigners, it sends a message that may have unintended consequences.

Immigration rules, regulations and enforcement are in a constant state of flux and ambiguity. We never know precisely where we stand and this would seem to be intentional.

You want to avoid a life of uncertainty? No problem, half a million baht please.

But the more a person is independent and thoughtful, the more they would view this option as a bureaucratic extortion racket and the more they would be offended by it out of principle. And perhaps this explain its less than stellar performance.

To be secure and effective, monopolies and official gangsterism, should as much as possible be discrete - they should also be utterly reliable and front up with maximal credibility, to augment rationale confidence. The Elite Card breaks all these rules and then some. It is a transparently vulgar grab for cash. Which is fine when you're negotiating for territorial rights with a Mexican drug cartel - but it falls short the prerequisite élan one would expect from a government and thus is disservice to it.

REPLY From GrantBKK

Hi Christie. Very well written post even including élan and gangsterism, flux and extortion racket, making profound statements while at the same time promoting a questionable hypothesis. Do you really think the long game of the coup makers is to extort money from the 20 to 50 crowd? With everything that is happening right now in this country the powers that be decided to enforce current visa laws to sell a card invented a dozen years ago by the arch enemy Thaksin? You should be a fiction writer specializing in conspiracy theory.

The Elite Card is just an option for those who want or need it. The Baht 500K card option is fairly new and makes the card available to a wider range of potential buyers. It happens to be available to a select group that need viable options to remain in this country after the "crackdown". Don't be a hater. The Elite Card program has survived may deaths and is billions of Baht in debt. If your worried about profit from this program it will be another ten years before they could possible break even. I know a guy on his third five year visa and he swears by the Elite Card. He has never had any problems other than some of the privileges constantly being in a state of "flux". Nothing major just the daily massages and some golf benefits being changed around.

I have no doubt that the legalities of canceling the program saved it at least twice. The government and Thai Elite know absolutely that money will have to be refunded to everyone in full to the early adopters as the privileges were for life and transferable. That and the negative impact and losing face contributed to saving the scheme. I guess the fear of law suits from rich people around the world actually contributed to us having these conversations.

I'm an atheist to the extent that I don't even believe in the validity of my own protestations.

I never inferred, that the Elite Card would'd suit some people perfectly. To the contrary, I said "The Elite Card is probably perfect for some people. And I don't see any reason for people to criticise those who opt for this product."

My remarks where focused on the unintended consequences of the scheme, inasmuch there would be seem to reliable evidence or at least stunning coincidence, that it is a solution for a problem, manufactured by those who stand to gain from its proliferation. This is a fairly standard but ruthless approach in business and explains why every electronic gadget has different bloody plug. Why so many spare parts are differentiated not according to technical requirement but to force you to purchase from a particular manufacturer. And why luggage porters at Denpasar airport hide the luggage trolleys. It goes on and on.

Authorities so misjudged the sensibilities of well heeled travellers and those with multiple residency arrangements, to such an extent that millions of these folk took a look at the deal and rejected it. This is catastrophic.

I'm no elite myself but have spread my pithy assets over several jurisdictions, I thought that was normal for any person who has some perspective on the history of geopolitics and rudimentary investing.

There are companies that offer advise to governments and clients on such matters. It is a very competitive field with such players as Switzerland, Andorra and many others in the running. It is a game in which Thailand put its credibility, price and perceived convenience on the line, to the most influential people in the world. These people have maps and they compare their options.

There could be also a terrible earthquake which would make the Thailand Elite membership useless, a galactic war, a global rich capitalists' economy vampires' witch hunt, ... or maybe just a deadly car accident the week after having joined the Thailand Elite program... Everything is indeed possible, even if it is an extremely remote probability.

10 years ago I did not think much before to buy the card, and till now I enjoy the membership and its privileges.

Come on guys, enjoy life with the Elite card rather than worry and make calculations or improbable speculations.

There's hardly a thing that you said that I disagree with.

Problem is that your remarks, didn't really have much to do with the point I was trying to assert.

Never mind, your approach to the issue is as valid as any I've heard and for some are likely to be spot on.

REPLY From GrantBKK

I can't really disagree with anything you've said.

Although I didn't see how it related to my post.

But never mind, your approach is as valid as any I've heard and I'm sure will suit some folks perfectly.

rolleyes.gif Since I have been retired in Thailand now for 5 years and getting annual renewals I see no need at present to get an Elite card for the "five year visa" perk.

As I said before on his forum, the elite card fast track service doesn't impress me.

Since I travel with a wheelchair which I book through the airlines when I fly I get wheeled through the immigration and baggage areas on a priority basis equivalent to the "fast track service" anyhow.

It costs me nothing except the ticket.

And right now, the visa part is meaningless as a retiree anyhow.

Agreed, that could change as This Is Thailand. (TITS)

But, until it does, why should I shell out the money for something that right now I just don't need?

So, thanks but no thanks from me to the Elite card.

Others can make their own choice.

whistling.gif

You have been caught, classified and labelled.

How long can you hide before you start to contradict yourself and everybody knows that you are a fake?

1. Require response from hi-so farang for your post.

Contradiction:

1. Claimed to be a hi-so farang from Pattaya.

Just to named one...hahaha. Look for your Sugar Daddy in Craigslist, that's more your 'forum' platform.

Find me a post where I said I am hi-so from Pattaya.

Find me a post and I will give you 500k baht for the Elite card you can't afford.

rolleyes.gif Since I have been retired in Thailand now for 5 years and getting annual renewals I see no need at present to get an Elite card for the "five year visa" perk.

As I said before on his forum, the elite card fast track service doesn't impress me.

Since I travel with a wheelchair which I book through the airlines when I fly I get wheeled through the immigration and baggage areas on a priority basis equivalent to the "fast track service" anyhow.

But, until it does, why should I shell out the money for something that right now I just don't need?

whistling.gif

This is a very valuable post for those who can't afford the Elite card, but crave to have one and enjoy its benefits: Ask for a wheelchair :)

I am happy to read that you feel comfortable with your chosen option.

I am sure that you are equally happy to read that Thailand Elite members also feel comfortable with their chosen option. Be it with or without wheelchair, under or above the retirement age, or whatever...

The is an option for everyone (and every wallet).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

whistling.gif

This is a very valuable post for those who can't afford the Elite card, but crave to have one and enjoy its benefits: Ask for a wheelchair smile.png

I am happy to read that you feel comfortable with your chosen option.

I am sure that you are equally happy to read that Thailand Elite members also feel comfortable with their chosen option. Be it with or without wheelchair, under or above the retirement age, or whatever...

The is an option for everyone (and every wallet).

I am happy to report:

I do use your wheelchair method.

It works like a charm.

But, sometimes they give me an old rattly broken down wheelchair, which I am afraid to sit in.

And then, don't forget your cane, of some sort.

You might be able to find a collapsible cane.a

There is nothing wrong with this.

The airlines have been treating us like cattle since 1985, so I call this just a bit of adjusting to the sign of the times.

As we are all getting older, some Thailand Elite members will also have to use the wheelchair method some day, coupled with the Elite method :)

It will mean less golf, maybe less spa visits, probably more health checks, less travel,... But when flying in and out, the smiling Thailand Elite girls will still be waiting at the gate with, hopefully, a brand new wheelchair.

Of course, for some, the limousine service may be a problem. These may not be adapted for serious cases...

• Like 2

We see the anti Elite (card) trolls appear on the Facebook page, but they don't dare to post anything much because it's not anonymous like here smile.png

Hey, I'm realy interested in the 5 years thing, I guess I'll soon take one.

Is there a way to have the FB link ?

Cheers.

• Like 1

I can not even spend more than 20k, how guys can spend lot of money in thailand? I m rich, but I have hard time to spend money here. After spending for everything I need, I m barely at 15k bahts/month. My friend told me they need around 20k to be comfortable in Thailand.

Explain? Because it s impossible to spend 100k bahts a month here unless someone take (steal) your money like gogo or else. In this case you are a loser. Rich people are rich because they keep their cash... Do you think I will pay for an elite card...? When I can keep the money instead? Get real.

Edited by bitcoinman

I can not even spend more than 20k, how guys can spend lot of money in thailand? I m rich, but I have hard time to spend money here. After spending for everything I need, I m barely at 15k bahts/month. My friend told me they need around 20k to be comfortable in Thailand.

Explain? Because it s impossible to spend 100k bahts a month here unless someone take (steal) your money like gogo or else. In this case you are a loser. Rich people are rich because they keep their cash... Do you think I will pay for an elite card...? When I can keep the money instead? Get real.

The Thailand Elite membership costs about 8300 Baht per month, you don't have to be wealthy to benefit from it but if you're broke then it's not for you.

If your total costs are only 20k a month and you're wealthy then there is a word for that : miser

Bitcoin you said in another thread you had over $1M USD the interest alone on that is more than enough to pay for an Elite Card so you are either full of it or a liar.

• Like 2

We expend a lot of money traveling, going out or eating outside, diving and other hobbies are quite expensive, just eating outside 40k, we not drink or smoke just healthy stuff, when we traveling I like to stay in the backpackers but sometimes are quite dirty or noisy, at the end we usually pay 1000 or 1500 per day in accommodation with some exceptions for nice places at good rates, plus taxis, air tickets, some tours, plus if someone drink and smoke a lot more, one friend smoke funny 40k per month.

If I was rich I would trip in car/motorbike around the world doing everything that I can, and very rich I would buy something like this

solar-powered-catamaran-660.jpg

Just to have a mobile music studio, and my IT office, the first time that I travel I was carrying, my mountain equipment, music stuff plus IT things 50k in shit worse than a Sherpa xD

The Thailand Elite membership costs about 8300 Baht per month, you don't have to be wealthy to benefit from it but if you're broke then it's not for you.

If your total costs are only 20k a month and you're wealthy then there is a word for that : miser

Bitcoin you said in another thread you had over $1M USD the interest alone on that is more than enough to pay for an Elite Card so you are either full of it or a liar.

bull.gif

• Like 1

I am same as you. It's very rare when I spend more than 15kB a month.

6k/month for my house.

100b/day for basic and good restaurants.

500b from time to time to buy a lot of food at tesco.

100b from time to time to buy gazoline.

1000b from time to time to pay a good restaurant with my girlfriend.

And a big buy from time to time, something I want, some furniture, some books, etc.

Overall I think I spend betweend 12k and 20k every month.

But I don't see why it's related to the elite card thing.

I must find a way to stay here because that's where I want to stay. How can I do, other than take a 5 years visa ? I'm 30, I don't work (legaly or illegaly), I don't have any business, I'm not willing to get married (not now), I don't have any thai kid. And on my island there is no thai school. Before the non-ed so called "crackdown" I had a non-ed visa for 15 months, with thai lessons on skype, but my school has to stop this because it can not cover me anymore (the immigration says it will check real presence at school). And my passport is full of tourist backTOback visas, so I can't take one anymore.

So tell me what other choice I have ? Other than the elite card ?

The only other solution is to go away from Thailand.

Edited by ritoyenne

6k/month for my house.

And a big buy from time to time, something I want, some furniture, some books, etc.

I must find a way to stay here because that's where I want to stay. How can I do, other than take a 5 years visa ? I'm 30, I don't work (legaly or illegaly), I don't have any business, I'm not willing to get married (not now), I don't have any thai kid. And on my island there is no thai school. Before the non-ed so called "crackdown" I had a non-ed visa for 15 months, with thai lessons on skype, but my school has to stop this because it can not cover me anymore (the immigration says it will check real presence at school). And my passport is full of tourist backTOback visas, so I can't take one anymore.

Obviously you don't drink so why not open a bar? You can then get a biz visa.

You can move to a place in Thailand where's a school that you can attend.

You can get a new passport and try to continue on double-entry tourist visa.

Edited by paz

Elite card is the best way then.

If you take the 2 million card, it will bring you to 50yrs old and then you can chose to renew it or go on with a retirement visa.

The sure thing is that this option is the best for those who don't need to work...

If you have the money, forget these ED visas and take the safe and comfortable option.

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

Elite card is the best way then.

If you take the 2 million card, it will bring you to 50yrs old and then you can chose to renew it or go on with a retirement visa.

The sure thing is that this option is the best for those who don't need to work...

If you have the money, forget these ED visas and take the safe and comfortable option.

The perks of the Elite Card make it attractive. Limo service to airport. Green fee discounts. Fast track check in etc. Since I've always had that stuff it never was an option for me.

6k/month for my house.

Anyone who has a hard time (as opposed to those without means) spending more than 15-20k per month in Thailand, or almost anywhere else on the planet for that matter, is either a tightwad of epic proportions or so full of sh*t he spends all his time on the toilet seat.

I could not refrain from laughing when I read this post :P

Thanks ;)

• Like 1

Another option,

If you can afford it, you can live 6 month in Thailand and 6 or 9 in Vietnam using tourist visas from the embassy of Thailand in Vietnam or another country, Vietnam is quite cheaper than Thailand, still a package of 6 month for accommodation you can get a good price. I know that is not exactly what you look but is not a bad option.

I am not sure if your girlfriend is Thai or not, there are some hotels in Cambodia that inclusive are front in the beach and the prices are between 200 and 300 usd for long stay, but My girlfriend will never go to Cambodia or Laos to live and I understand why, but Vietnam seems to be ok for Thai people.

Still you can check in google "digital nomad vietnam" all the time you will find tips to live cheap in any country.

6k/month for my house.

You are right :) the bubble is over mate. Without being mean , $500 a month is hardly the contributions they need in this country

They have to open more immigration offices if they had to cater to everyone just living comfortably and frankly they have enough citizens living at that level who work and pay taxes and also help the local som tum seller or restaurant

If you are a retiree then it's different as retired means you should be living within whatever you have planned out in terms of your finances

You are in your 30s and if you are not retired financially , I would think it's more productive you keep working and save up for an actual retirement later

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

6k/month for my house.

You are right :) the bubble is over mate. Without being mean , $500 a month is hardly the contributions they need in this country

They have to open more immigration offices if they had to cater to everyone just living comfortably and frankly they have enough citizens living at that level who work and pay taxes and also help the local som tum seller or restaurant

If you are a retiree then it's different as retired means you should be living within whatever you have planned out in terms of your finances

You are in your 30s and if you are not retired financially , I would think it's more productive you keep working and save up for an actual retirement later

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Or keep working and save an Elite Visa. Well worth it in the long run :)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

6k/month for my house.

It sounds like your options are limited if you don't want to get married. You could try to get a new passport but you will probably be facing the same issue in a few months.