Thailand wireless phone companies

changintimes

my girlfriend has my American cell phone in Thailand and running up a bill to over 800 USD in 1 month. 

she needs to switch her carrier to a Thailand wireless phone company. 

my girlfriend is Thai and will be in Thailand for 5 months, but she does not know what to do to change her carrier to a Thailand carrier, and does not have much money, 

is there a way i can remotely switch her American phone to a Thailand phone carrier remotely, from the United States ? through the internet or by phone ? 

thanks, 

Larry 

What the hell! Tell her to go to BigC or Tesco lotus with 1,000 baht.. and buy a phone with pre-pay Sim card.. done!

Then she can put money on as she uses it.. you can get vouchers in any 7/11.

Failing that. What phone does she have? Is it unlocked?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

[..]

Then she can put money on as she uses it.. you can get vouchers in any 7/11.

What phone does she have? Is it unlocked?

As CasualBiker asks,  What is the Make/Model and current U.S. Mobile Carrier of the phone she has?

We need to know this information to tell if the phone is compatible with a Thai Mobile Carrier.  Since she is using it in ROAMING, for god sake, ROAMING mode we can assume it will be compatible.

Most Thai Mobile Carriers offer Pre-Pay and Post-Pay services to pay for Calling Minutes, SMS, Internet and other add-on services.

If you left the phone so you and she can always talk, there are cheaper methods of staying in touch than paying overseas mobile phone calling rates.

Well, your Thai GF is pulling the wool over your eyes.  She knows cell phones and SIMs in Thailand can be bought very cheaply and everywhere...in every shopping center, in every little market, on every soi.  And she knows they have very cheap monthly postpaid or prepaid plans regardless of what she is telling you.  My gosh, I think half the people in Thailand make a living from selling cell phones, SIMs, and refill cards to the other half of the population.

" ...but she does not know what to do to change her carrier to a Thailand carrier"

Yes, I find it hard to believe anyone in Thailand over the age of 5 doesn't know all there is to know about mobile phone basics ... or at the very least she has to know the location of at least 10 mobile phone vendors who could clue her in.