Do you use a helmet camera?

rambling

I used a GoPro in Phnom Penh, and for once no cops stopped me... Interesting that...

My GoPro 3 is good, but I'm yet to record much particularly useful footage despite using it in Nepal, India, Myanmar etc. I mean the footage is good, but it's good to mix it with some non-headcam stuff.

Either way, fun toy to have.

I have the gopro hero 2 since they first came on the market in HK, I find the footage if on the helmet is really not interesting in bkk ... for motorbikes the chest mount is the way to go,

I use it most for fishingsmile.png

I ve had similar thoughts on getting a chest mount harness.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Well in the end with any helmet or sports camera you need to do something with the recorded footage. Who wants to see the same angle passing by for 20 min. So in the end its not mostly up to the cam you use its up to your editing skills (which takes plenty of time) so if you don't have the skills or the time than it nit really worth to start. (Just if u admire yourself)

• Like 1

I use a Drift-Ghost S because it's the monkey's nuts and I don't look like a member of teletubbies with a GoPro on my head!

The Drift S out performs the GoPro for battery life and Image. I have both but I've stopped using the GoPro. The screen and remote is very handy for setting up and it connects well to my S5 phone, although some have had problems. In fact, before I bought the Drift, I stopped using the GoPro in favour of a mobius as I looked so hideous with a brick mounted to a scaffolding pole to my head.

GoPro is a great camera as far as image goes but it's about time they redesigned it. However, GoPro has a cliche following so I'm sure they'll disagree.

PS. I'm getting a little over 3 hours with my drift.

Edited by BBJ

I will glue a fake mini cam on my helmet, just to see what the police do when they stop me again.

they let you go or let you close it depending on their mood and legality of the road block they setup but mostly they let you go.

• Like 1

SJ4000

Chinese Gopro clone, same size, same mounts etc, and same video quality as all but the top of the range gopros

Cost me about £50 online, also came with bags full of mounts and clips etc..

Worth a look for anyone who wants a good camera but doesn't want to pay a premium just for a name.

Have a look on YouTube and you can see some comparison videos people have shot.

• Like 1

SJ4000

Chinese Gopro clone, same size, same mounts etc, and same video quality as all but the top of the range gopros

Worth a look for anyone who wants a good camera but doesn't want to pay a premium just for a name.

Have a look on YouTube and you can see some comparison videos people have shot.and

...and they last 6 month or a year on hard use.

these kind of cameras you buy once every 5 years so better get a good proven and tested one over the years from a recognized brand like gopro, sony etc. these brands dont let you down on the road and sure more stursy for motorcycling abuse.

SJ4000

Have a look on YouTube and you can see some comparison videos people have shot.and

these kind of cameras you buy once every 5 years so better get a good proven and tested one over the years from a recognized brand like gopro, sony etc. these brands dont let you down on the road and sure more stursy for motorcycling abuse.

Maybe so, mine has lasted me well, but even going with your new one every year scenario, after 5 years it's still cheaper than splashing out on a new Gopro.

Plus if your Gopro dies, you lose it, stolen etc.. It's a much bigger loss.

Edited by mynameisphil
  • Like 2

SJ4000

Maybe so, mine has lasted me well, but even going with your new one every year scenario, after 5 years it's still cheaper than splashing out on a new Gopro.

Plus if your Gopro dies, you lose it, stolen etc.. It's a much bigger loss.

i have a sony action cam - i bought it for 350 - 400 usd something

ok lets say chinese will be cheaper anyway but what about the reliability, features, quality of videos etc.

can this chinese brand can offer a better tech than sony or gopro? and also can it cope with vibrations better?

that is why always buy a quality product for better tech and durability and piece of mind.

Just to update. I went for the Sony AS100. From Big Camera shop, 11,990 with extra battery, external charger, 16GB SD card.

you got the best one on the market now. congrats.

also great price as as100 is a very recent model and all those extras.

did you get it from MBK?

Edited by ll2

Just to update. I went for the Sony AS100. From Big Camera shop, 11,990 with extra battery, external charger, 16GB SD card.

did you get it from MBK?

Got it from Central Ladprao. I seldom go to MBK area.

Only gripe I have so far with this Sony setup is that you can't use the PlayMemories app to playback previously recorded video. Only to watch live footage.

did you get it from MBK?

Got it from Central Ladprao. I seldom go to MBK area.

Only gripe I have so far with this Sony setup is that you can't use the PlayMemories app to playback previously recorded video. Only to watch live footage.

i can watch previous videos through play memories. check it out.

From what I have read and a based on the comments of a guy I spoke to here the Sony performance is a whole let better than the Gopro, it's cheaper too and of course Sony have the reputation. I plan on bringing one back from my visit in the UK where the word "warranty" means something.

Not sure which model yet but will post the results.

From what I have read and a based on the comments of a guy I spoke to here the Sony performance is a whole let better than the Gopro, it's cheaper too and of course Sony have the reputation. I plan on bringing one back from my visit in the UK where the word "warranty" means something.

If sony goes bankrupt they'll be real cheap. of course the guy you spoke with is in the minority. Looking forward to your review.

If Sony goes bankrupt they'll be real cheap. of course the guy you spoke with is in the minority. Looking forward to your review.

There are a few reviews that also show that features that I consider important are better on the Sony, also I have own a few Sony products and they have all proved 100% reliable, so with the price advantage there, I see no reason to buy the Gopro.

I am always suspicious of products that are heavily marketed from the USA, they always disappoint.

The old AS30 model seems to fit the bill for me and at £100 less (£175 versus £279) that is what I plan on going for. My co-rider on a couple of proposed road trips, being a Yank, will probably buy the Gopro, so we should be able to compare the two.

I think Sony are more likely to fragment rather than go bust, but what do I know about these things, besides I may die of pneumonia before that happens.

• Like 1

If Sony goes bankrupt they'll be real cheap. of course the guy you spoke with is in the minority. Looking forward to your review.

There are a few reviews that also show that features that I consider important are better on the Sony, also I have own a few Sony products and they have all proved 100% reliable, so with the price advantage there, I see no reason to buy the Gopro.

I am always suspicious of products that are heavily marketed from the USA, they always disappoint.

The old AS30 model seems to fit the bill for me and at £100 less (£175 versus £279) that is what I plan on going for. My co-rider on a couple of proposed road trips, being a Yank, will probably buy the Gopro, so we should be able to compare the two.

I think Sony are more likely to fragment rather than go bust, but what do I know about these things, besides I may die of pneumonia before that happens.

i have the same sony as30 and it is a great product. totally recommended.

but better get the new as100 as you can use it longer years without any uprade.

I hope you get well soon!

hope pneumonia you mentioned is a joke and you are fine allan. if not get well soon.

as30 does the job.

No, sorry it was a joke, but I am currently sitting on my boat on the Norfolk broads, it is cold and chucking it down outside, so hopefully just a joke.

Dreaming about riding in the warmth of the Thai winter....................on anything with two wheels and an engine.

• Like 1