Children under 14 not required to pay fines for overstays - Any changes to this?

My wife is Thai and one of our children has dual Thai/Australian citizenship but the other only has an Australian passport.

They are both under 14 and we normally do not get a visa for the one who does not have a Thai passport relying on the 30 day visitor visa on entry.

As we stay for 4 months each year technically he overstays for 3 months, however there has never been any problem as the rule has been that children less than 14 years old who are travelling with a parent are not required to pay any fines for overstays.

I am worried that this might have changed with the current tightening of the rules.

Does anybody know whether a child under 14 is still exempt from the overstay rules?

The easiest is of course to apply for a Thai passport, in the end he will need it anyway and it only costs 1,000 baht.

That's true and we will probably do this although we have to start the process here in Australia.

The other issue is that it will make him liable for the conscription lottery when he grows up.

The big question will be even though they are not fined, will they be subjected to the new blacklisting rules?

Sure, that could be disastrous, although I guess he could still become a Thai citizen and get a Thai passport as his mother is Thai, or would blacklisting prevent him getting a Thai passport?

He already is Thai, but as the Thai government is not aware of his birth they have no record of him. Wiht the Thai birth certificate they will have a record of him and he can get a Thai passport. Overstay has no bearing on him getting a Thai passport.

The process can aslso be started in Bangkok, but will take longer than.

If need be he can get 1 year extensions of stay on show of his birth certificate and the mothers Thai ID-card or passport.

• Like 1

He already is Thai, but as the Thai government is not aware of his birth they have no record of him. Wiht the Thai birth certificate they will have a record of him and he can get a Thai passport. Overstay has no bearing on him getting a Thai passport.

The process can aslso be started in Bangkok, but will take longer than.

If need be he can get 1 year extensions of stay on show of his birth certificate and the mothers Thai ID-card or passport.

Thanks.  I think we will:

• apply for a Thai birth certificate for him here in Australia as that seems quite straight forward
  • enter thailand with a visitor visa on entry
  • add him to the House Book when we get back to our place
  • apply for a Thai passport for him.

Hopefully that will all work out:)

My children have Thai Passports, UK Passports, Thai ID cards, Thai +UK Birth Certificates
What is difficult?

Its not really a problem.  The only concern is that he may become liable for conscription into the army in Thailand when he grows up.  If you have a boy I expect you have the same problem?

the childrens will be blacklisted but no overstays fine. The childrens will not be allow back inside Thailand for five years.

That is a statement that is without any foundation.

It is unclear if children will be blacklisted under the new rules or not In the OP's case that is not an issue, as the children also have Thai nationality and as such cannot be denied entry into the country.

• Like 1

the childrens of farang parent will be blacklisted? I hope not, because if so,  our 5 years old son is not allow back , we shouldn't do the Elite Easy Access at all if the boy is not allow to come with the parent.

If you have the money for Thai Elite you should have no problem clearing overstay immediately for your kids and have them come back with regular visa.

• Like 2