Myanmar Diving

joinme2leave

got a friend (excellent Padi diver) who wants to take part of my next Thailand travel (march-may 2004). He seems to be rather bored about Ko Tao and even Similan diving opportunities. Does anybody of you know if there is (1) good diving spots in/around Myanmar area and (2) is it "safe" to go there and (3) what kind of Visa will he (we) need to go?

Diving in Myanmar really depends on your budget, as the visa is not a difficult factor to arrange. Because of the limited number of dive operators working out of Kawthoung (Burmese side of the border from Ranong), there is not much choice or flexibility apart from taking a packaged liveaboard tour.

There are no day tours or short tours, as such, to dive in the Mergui Archipelago- the liveaboard operators generally do around a 7-8 day trip on fully serviced packages.

Try SEAL (South East Asia Liveaboards) based in Phuket, 076 340 406 as they have in my opinion the best liveaboard packages, and they are certainly the most experienced in Myanmar dive trips, having pioneered the earliest trips in 1997.

They are also on line at

www.seal-asia.com

For the price of their packages, you certainly get value for the expense.

The Mergui Archipelago is a stunning place to visit, still not overcrowded due to its limited accessibility, and if you take some time out of the diving to explore the islands, kayaking, trekking etc you will invariably have a rewarding trip that not a lot of other folk can say they have done before.

Good luck.

(I live in the islands fulltime, but am not connected with the recreational dive industry)

:D ah! the good Dr, its been a while since I've popped in, hope you are well.

Yes, Mergui is worth a visit, but probably better to piggy-back onto an existing visit rather than going there only to see Myeik (as Mergui is known locally). Lovely coastal fishing/trading port, dirty rivers, mix of Burmese, Indians, Chinese, and Buddhists/Christians/Muslims/Hindus. Real cultural melting pot this town. Lots of old buildings and historical sites. Not very big though, so it doesnt take long to see it all.

Many Thai history boffins probably aren't aware that before the advent of trading routes through the Malacaa Straits and around Singapore - Mergui was a major East-West staging post for sea trade on to India and Europe. Goods were sent up the Tennaserim River to the village of Tennaserim, and on to the top of the dividing range where they were transfered to a combination of elephants and porters, and sent over to the gulf of Thailand (and then on up to Ayudhya and vice-versa, and on to China, Japan).

This was all happening in the 17th century! Mergui, at that time, was part of Siam, NOT Burma.

Dr PP - if you can get a hold of the book Siamese White, by Maurice Collis. It tells of Mergui in the period I mentioned above, and the story of an English trader-turned-rogue who began plundering British ships to make a modest extra income, while reporting to the King that all was well in Mergui.

If you cant find it PM me and I'll send you a copy.

Getting back to Mergui as a place to visit - when the weather's good there's a high-speed intercoastal ferry which plies the route from Kawthoung-Myeik-Dawei each day or so, and for USD$30 its a good way to get up the coast.

There's also a decent guest house now in Myeik - the Dolphin - which has sgl $25 and twin for $40, which is pretty good for a town with virtually nil expats and only a smattering of foreign business visitors.

(right stop waffling now) :o

:D ah! the good Dr, its been a while since I've popped in, hope you are well.

Yes, Mergui is worth a visit, but probably better to piggy-back onto an existing visit rather than going there only to see Myeik (as Mergui is known locally). Lovely coastal fishing/trading port, dirty rivers, mix of Burmese, Indians, Chinese, and Buddhists/Christians/Muslims/Hindus. Real cultural melting pot this town. Lots of old buildings and historical sites. Not very big though, so it doesnt take long to see it all.

Many Thai history boffins probably aren't aware that before the advent of trading routes through the Malacaa Straits and around Singapore - Mergui was a major East-West staging post for sea trade on to India and Europe. Goods were sent up the Tennaserim River to the village of Tennaserim, and on to the top of the dividing range where they were transfered to a combination of elephants and porters, and sent over to the gulf of Thailand (and then on up to Ayudhya and vice-versa, and on to China, Japan).

This was all happening in the 17th century! Mergui, at that time, was part of Siam, NOT Burma.

Dr PP - if you can get a hold of the book Siamese White, by Maurice Collis. It tells of Mergui in the period I mentioned above, and the story of an English trader-turned-rogue who began plundering British ships to make a modest extra income, while reporting to the King that all was well in Mergui.

If you cant find it PM me and I'll send you a copy.

Getting back to Mergui as a place to visit - when the weather's good there's a high-speed intercoastal ferry which plies the route from Kawthoung-Myeik-Dawei each day or so, and for USD$30 its a good way to get up the coast.

There's also a decent guest house now in Myeik - the Dolphin - which has sgl $25 and twin for $40, which is pretty good for a town with virtually nil expats and only a smattering of foreign business visitors.

(right stop waffling now) :o

I wondered where you'd been too. Welcome back :D I have a copy of Siamese White, and I'll re-read it. Thanks for the tip. You are a knowledgable guy and I much appreciate your kind advice. That Greek adventurer Phaulkon hung about Mergui a lot as I recall ( well he did when he still boasted a head on his shoulders. Many thanks.

Hi,

I've had the privilage of sharing a few outings with SVB on the Mergui Archipeliago. It's quite a breathtaking place, so if you can get the right operator for the job, then go for it.

I'm not a diver as SVB is, so can't comment on that side of the excursion, but everything else was superb. Well worth the time to get out there.

Cheers,

./P

seawiew,

thx alot for your info. (we) shall therefore change plans slightly and fly south first (anyhow, Phuket seems to be affordable IF there is asiaair-flights available..). Do you think all of Phuket's dive centers do have Burma recommendations/trips like you suggested or is there even a SPECIAL one you remember (address)? Ic Burma (and not only its diving spots) are worth a visit. AS I am not the "diving part" in this Los2004-2 month-tour your comments about other than diving activities were interesting too. Thanks again. Just one more xtra question: my companion might book that sailing/diving trip (or whatever those Phuket agents may call it) BUT will I -as not diver- have a chance to find accomodation too?

• 3 years later...
---SNIP---

---SNIP---

There will soon be another book about that period. Mine is also based on Samuel White's adventures, but it it almost entirely fictional with some semblance to real events. You will be able to read a preview of it online soon here:

http://holtblog.holtww.com/, although that URL may change soon as I plan to move it to www.aardvarkzone.com. Check them both out in case I have managed to make the move.

Sam and his friend Constantine Phaulkon were amazing blokes. They lived in Siam in the mid to late 1600's in King Narai's time. Constantine managed to become the only non-Thai 'Prime Minister' (I use the term PM, even though that is not exactly what he was). He was called Phraya Vichien. His house was up in Lop Buri and you can still visit it today.

Sorry that this is not on topic, but I thought you might be interested to read a little more about these two men.