Cinema at Maya Mall

Diplomatico

I went today to see Guardians of the Galaxy (which rocks, btw) and - since it was before noon - the price of admission was only 80 baht.  After noon, on Mon/Tues it's 130 baht.  Wednesdays is "movie day" and the price is 100 baht all day long.  Thursday/Friday admission is 150 baht.  I didn't ask about Sat/Sun.  

Seats in the theater partially recline a couple of inches.  In the back are much larger and wider seats that I'm sure they sell for a premium over the regular seats.

They also have a "first class" section - 700 baht, comes with a drink and snacks one hour before the show in the "lounge".  Then, from the looks of the entrance layout, you enter into your own private theater (with nicer seats, I'm sure) for your own screening of the show.  Pretty sure I don't think that's worth 700 baht more than once, for the novelty of it.

Really good pricing, I thought, for first run movies.  Be advised, there's about 20-25 mins of previews and advertisements that you must endure at the scheduled start time of the movie.  So if you're running a bit late, you'll still probably catch the start of the film.  

• Like 1

So if you're running a bit late, you'll still probably catch the start of the film.  

And annoy everyone else by barging across them when the film has already started.

Which quite a lot of people do for this exact reason.

• Like 2

Went for first time too the other day. 500 baht for a sofa for 2. Aircon wasn't too cold, will certainly be going 10 minutes late next time. Film was pretty good, other people rave about it in 3d cinemas so maybe that was our mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I was very well impressed with the cinema setup at Central Festival, where we went to see the FANTASTIC Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. If Maya has good cinema, similar to CF, I'd like to check it out, as it is closer to our home. One certainly can't complain about the ticket prices here.

Guardians of the Galaxy is one of the few films where viewing in 3D is recommended by most reviewers.  That's a pity since Maya only shows the 3D version in Thai.  Might have to make the trip to Airport Plaza to see it.

Appreciate that though I don't think it would have made much difference for me.  It wasn't the action that I found engaging - though that was part of it - it's the humor which is, admittedly, mainly referencing American pop culture.  The soundtrack - also mostly Yank-centric - is a cornucopia of 1970's American pop hits that synced quite well with the plot of the flick.  The fact that the movie pretty much makes fun of - while simultaneously celebrating - modern science fiction movies is what I found entertaining.    

And that said, to refer to the OP, the price is unbeatable, IMO.

Edited by Diplomatico

It's a grand Cinema, the cashiers are all dolled up and look like air hostesses too! 

I do miss Kad Sun Kaew, they're exclusively horrendous dubbed in Thai movies now, why anyone who can read would pay to see a dubbed movie... accidently walked into Transformers in dubbed Thai in Maya, shocking! actually the original wasn't much better.

Also, in Maya, if you go after 10pm, it's cheap, 80baht I think.

I always smuggle my goodies in, unless its a bad ass movie, then it's the full movie spread.

Also, after living in China for over 3 years, it's so nice to watch a movie in the cinema again without full blown conversations, phones going off, full blown conversations on the phone.

Just remember people, 23 - 25 minutes of ads and trailers! so, if you get there early, kill some time in the mini arcade, I recommend the punching machine thing, I was just a few points off the top score! The dance thing confuses the hell out of me, but is good for watching Thais have a conniption fit to bad music.

According to my daughter....and 14 year olds KNOW EVERYTHING it is also possible to Book via the Internet and choose the seat/s you want, then go and pay at your nearest 7/11 which will confirm your booking.

The Maya Mall cinema is fantastic. It's brought Hubby and me back to almost weekly movie-going. They just need a decent restaurant in the mall to make it a really nice evening out. (Dave, can you feel our pain?)

Give the seafood set at Fuji a try.  The beef set is also OK if you don't mind tough(ish) Thai beef.  The more expensive raw fish sets are extremely good if you have a taste for that sort of thing.  Personally I love it.

• Like 1

So if you're running a bit late, you'll still probably catch the start of the film.  

And annoy everyone else by barging across them when the film has already started.

They deserve it for sitting through all that crap.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

According to my daughter....and 14 year olds KNOW EVERYTHING it is also possible to Book via the Internet and choose the seat/s you want, then go and pay at your nearest 7/11 which will confirm your booking.

Haven't been yet. Defiantly going to give it a go. Will try the on line booking then pay at 7/11. Used to do that at the airport but would have to pay with a credit card. Some times had a problem with them finding the ticket when I got there.

Airport had Sofas for a short period of time did not care for them. They have gone back to the Lazy Boy type recliners. Much better. Tried the sofa in the I Max and did not care for it either. In fact didn't care for the I Max theater. Preferred their other 9 theaters.

Went and checked the movies at Maya and there is only one show showing before 12:00 Hercules. All ready saw it at Festival and it was a great show.

Has the SF theater group a card you can buy at a discount such as Major Cineplex and a discount for seniors?

They deserve it because maybe they want to watch the previews, and aren't disrespectful enough to either the King or other moviegoers to just wander in they want and make a nuisance of themselves?

Yeah right. I'll be tripping up the next MF that does it.

biggrin.png

• Like 1

They deserve it because maybe they want to watch the previews, and aren't disrespectful enough to either the King or other moviegoers to just wander in they want and make a nuisance of themselves?

Yeah right. I'll be tripping up the next MF that does it.

biggrin.png

There is nothing disrespectful about skipping the ads and previews and going 20 minutes late to the cinema.  Thais and foreigners do it all the time and I have never seen anyone have an issue with it.  There's also nothing wrong with getting up in the middle of the film if you need to tka e leak.

Edited by roger1999
  • Like 1

The Maya Mall cinema is fantastic. It's brought Hubby and me back to almost weekly movie-going. They just need a decent restaurant in the mall to make it a really nice evening out. (Dave, can you feel our pain?)

Both Fuji and MK are a decent enough feed, then theres good ole KFC as a back up. Not all that bad.

Dukes or something similar would be great though.

This is correct, for both SF and major cinemas. 

I just book and pay for mine online now, no need for the 7-11 trip an hour before hand.

Plus it's slightly cheaper.

"Godzilla And Apes Meet Transformers In Space With Galaxy Guardian Spiderman Types"...........Is that what cinema in the 21st Century has come down to? Lowest possible common denominator seems to be the order of the day at cinemas all over the World !!

Best film for me this year by a distance, "Begin Again", Keira Knightley & Mark Ruffalo, filmed on location in New York for an extremely low budget but a beautifully put together piece of work!

There is nothing disrespectful about skipping the ads and previews and going 20 minutes late to the cinema.  Thais and foreigners do it all the time and I have never seen anyone have an issue with it.  There's also nothing wrong with getting up in the middle of the film if you need to tka e leak.

No there isn't, but I'm talking about the ones who wander in while the King's Anthem is being played or after the film has started.

And frankly if you've allowed yourself an extra 20 minutes, would it hurt to spend some of that taking a piss?

rolleyes.gif

Northern John, I seem to use the same link as you but I get a different start page:  (edit:  this link seems to have suddenly stopped working.) http://www.sfcinemacity.com/index.php/en/cinema/location/SFX

I've never seen anyone walk in during the anthem.  Wouldn't any standing person just stop in their tracks?  

People walking in after the film has started?  I guess I've seen that happen, but it's pretty rare and indeed rude.

Edited by roger1999